Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Hi Jeff,

Catching up as usual following a day of 'Thermalite blocking' in the 'den', only 3 courses to go before I can start fitting out the inside.

The Fell is looking absolutely brilliant especially with the addition of a bit of colour - where has the viaduct gone though? Its amazing how things change perspective, the viaduct looked huge about 300 pages ago now it looks like a pretty long way off, works for me though, terrific!

Cheers

mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Catching up as usual following a day of 'Thermalite blocking' in the 'den', only 3 courses to go before I can start fitting out the inside.

The Fell is looking absolutely brilliant especially with the addition of a bit of colour - where has the viaduct gone though? Its amazing how things change perspective, the viaduct looked huge about 300 pages ago now it looks like a pretty long way off, works for me though, terrific!

Cheers

mike

Thanks Mike. I'm very pleased with the overall shape of the Fell.

You're right about the viaduct - it tends to disappear amongst the immensity of the surroundings. Here are 2 really good views of Arten Gill viaduct which I've borne in mind as I've built the Fell.

Lune Fell is, of course, an entirely fictitious shape!!

http://folkestonejack.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/artengill_310710.jpg

http://www.visitcumbria.com/photos/julian/artengill-n1034.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi Jeff and people!

The Stateside visit is still on the cards. Toronto is a family business thing. One of my late uncles bought a small property about 30 miles north of North Lethbridge in Ontario (just below the arctic circle and the first and only place I ever saw a moose! Note! I did not leave the cabin! Those animals are bl**dy enormous!!!) in the 1950's which we've just sold and I had to add my signiture to the property transfer to recieve my share (about 6 and a half trees + a tenth of a small lake). Not a fortune but I'll be keeping Messrs Bachmann very happy this year!

Rush gigged at the theatre Joe, Emma's husband manages back in the day and he recalls them with great fondness, describing them as a great bunch of characters, especially Geddy, with no sign of the prima donna complex which seems to afflict so many rock stars. He picks Axel Rose as a particular repugnant example. Meanwhile I've been haunting the Manulife Centre filling gaps in my music collection. Amazing place with a maple tree growing in the centre of the building and a grand piano for anyone who want's to play for a while.

Andy P: They don't do Elf & Safety over here. They have policemen with guns. If you're naughty, they just shoot you!

Regards

Bill

Very pleased to hear from you Bill. I mentioned you in a post the other day, as you'd been noticeably quiet over the last month. I remember you saying you were off to the States - in May? 

Toronto, eh? That's the hometown of Rush....their track YYZ referring to the airport's call-sign.

Thanks for the "join" suggestions. They'll become relevant in a while.

Wrap up - and have fun!

Jeff

Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Premium

NOT REAL GUNS and ROSES I hope? :yahoo_mini: :yahoo_mini: :yahoo_mini:

You don't see the Roses. You see the Guns....you're dead. Other people see the Roses....you're pushing them up.....  :O  :yahoo_mini: :yahoo_mini: :yahoo_mini:

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff that first picture

http://folkestonejac...gill_310710.jpg

now theres some examples of stone walling. Bits falling off, netting proped up with poles to stop the sheep climbing over. From living in the Forest of Dean I can confirm that sheep cane climb over walls if they can find a few foot holds where stones are missing.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Jeff that first picture

http://folkestonejac...gill_310710.jpg

now theres some examples of stone walling. Bits falling off, netting proped up with poles to stop the sheep climbing over. From living in the Forest of Dean I can confirm that sheep cane climb over walls if they can find a few foot holds where stones are missing.

Don

Yes Don, it's a lovely photo. There's enough detail in there to keep you modelling for months, should you decide to go over the top on the Fell details.

The thing I like about it is the ramshackle nature of the reality - nothing is all neatly packaged into perfect walls, perfectly straight paths etc.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Nothing new going on today. A couple of locos have been run - more later (I'm teaching Astronomy this afternoon).

I've measured-up in a few places for a bit more "tidying up" - this time on the right-side of the valley, in front of the station.

As I've threatened over the last couple of days - having a break from plastering. Reading through the Forum and more running later!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Nothing new going on today. A couple of locos have been run - more later (I'm teaching Astronomy this afternoon).

I've measured-up in a few places for a bit more "tidying up" - this time on the right-side of the valley, in front of the station.

As I've threatened over the last couple of days - having a break from plastering. Reading through the Forum and more running later!

Jeff

Surely Astronomy should be taught this evening when it is dark???

Don't make up your walls with wire net fencing, as this is a modern repair method. In the 60's they would have re-built the walls to keep them stockproof. Mind you they may have allowed some walls to fall to make larger fields.

What are the indiginous gates up there? In the lakes and dales its a stone with four holes standing upright either side of the hole, with poles stuck into them.

Mind you some farmers just took down the walls, drove the animals through, and built up the wall again behind them.

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy. I'll be starting on the walling in a couple of weeks, I reckon.

For the foreseeable future it'll just be build, build, build.....

Has to look good though, so if it doesn't work it'll end up in the bin!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, thought you would be teaching Break Dancing with your figure, hahhahahaaaaaaaeeheheeeeeee :offtopic: :smoke: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bodgit the Great?       GREAT WOT?

No Andy. I just stick to Astronomy as I enjoy studying all those heavenly bodies!!

How was Nottingham?

Jeff

Hi Jeff and all here are some GRASS pics from today as promised

post-9335-0-00133300-1363544276_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-75164500-1363544529_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-90240100-1363544830_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-88646900-1363544654_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-79143200-1363544443_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-37630100-1363544366_thumb.jpg

Bodgit the Grass, :no:  don't tel the bad guys :O :o :O

Edit = Not sure what went wrong here, anyway all are from Basket liners or Tedy Fur

Edit 2=  Hopr this helps.

Edit 3=  spelling mistake for above should be HOPE :scared: :scared:

P.S. a very good show.

post-9335-0-33675300-1363544587_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for the photos, Andy.

I will clearly need to go and get some hanging basket liners and have a play. The only thing that concerns me is how they get the desired colours. I know nothing about liners, but are some of them intrinsically a greenish colour?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'd imagine one teaches it in daylight, so that it can be practised in the dark! :jester:

Ahh, but I can never line things up if I've been told in the day, and I have to look at night.

I can't for the life of me make out the chart of where I should be looking for this comet......

Andy g

Ahh, but I can never line things up if I've been told in the day, and I have to look at night.

I can't for the life of me make out the chart of where I should be looking for this comet......

Andy g

Andy

I've had exactly the same problem :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :help:  :banghead:

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Andy

I've had exactly the same problem :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :help:  :banghead:

Duncan

Phew! and I thought I was the only one not getting it? Now if they tell me which compas point I should be facing and then at what o'clock to look i might find the thing (well i doubt it it's been too overcast here...)

Wannabie Lunar Andy

Thanks very much for the photos, Andy.

I will clearly need to go and get some hanging basket liners and have a play. The only thing that concerns me is how they get the desired colours. I know nothing about liners, but are some of them intrinsically a greenish colour?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, yes that's why it pays to go to a couple of different suppliers.

Bodgit

Phew! and I thought I was the only one not getting it? Now if they tell me which compas point I should be facing and then at what o'clock to look i might find the thing (well i doubt it it's been too overcast here...)

Wannabie Lunar Andy

I could do exactly the same. But, it's raining where I am and trying to SNOW :O

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, yes that's why it pays to go to a couple of different suppliers.

Bodgit

My brother has just recommended rolls of the stuff, but they're not currently in season. He wasn't aware of different colours, though - and he's the one that does the hanging baskets...

I'll be hunting for different ones when they are available.

Jeff