Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy.

Let me say that this is the strength of putting your work in the public eye, on a thread such as this. Nobody is going to get everything right - me certainly not. I was so entrenched in my thinking about rock faces that I ignored my own common sense. I looked at lots of material and still went ahead irrationally. So, yes, it's good that there are people who can tell me that it looks wrong.

The modifications are all planned - obviously I can't do anything until tomorrow!

And btw - in case anyone was wondering - this was nothing to do with my "secret" project!!

Jeff

Phew!

Good decision there Jeff as when I was catching up and saw those first pics I was gobsmacked at the steepness, it will look much better now.

I know there are always things we would like, in my case a wooden trestle viaduct but I wont because it won't be right. When you go prototypical you have to be careful what you do so forget rocks and concentrate on all the new things tou have learny,.so good to see the right decision made.

Right a last quick look about then some sleep so I can crack on with my model again tomorrow before vacating the dining table for the weekend.

Jim

Edited by aberdare

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

PLEASE keep them foto's coming, Bodgit's not the only one who looks at the pictures!!

Chip.  :O

Hi Chip.

Sorry, your post got rather overshadowed by my hillside antics. Rest assured, I'll keep posting photos. They make the thread a much easier read as they break up tons and tons of text. Any relevant progress is also much easier to show, rather than woffling.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, SORRY MATE,  I am with Jason and Mike, I will say no more, :no: :no: :no:

Flat it out a bit and a Quarry sounds good, even a Narrow Gauge line going into the F / Yard hill. :O

Oh I just did say some more :nono:

Bodgit :sungum:

Now there's a possibility - a narrow gauge railway.  It could be abandoned, of course - overgrown - bits of track showing - some signs of earlier activity with the remains of buildings, wagon wheels, vehicles, etc - just in case you don't want a full-blown running railway.  You can leave us to imagine how it was in its heyday.  :jester:

NG (No Go) Lune  :nono:

• RMweb Gold

Good call Jeff. Rock faces no but perhaps you could have a bit of rock where the stream runs having been exposed by the stream cutting down such as around the Devils Bridge Kirby Lonsdale.

Also regarding electromagnets some 2mmSa members have made switchable permenant magnets by making a linage to move them closer of further from the track should work with KDs

Don

Jeff

Sounds like you've got the towering rock-face situation under control and I hope to see some photos soon with it a bit lower so that you can fit some sky in  :no:

I did think Jason, Mike & Andy had a point but I couldn't bring myself to criticizing being a mere surf lunester  :boast:

I did think Jason, Mike & Andy had a point but I couldn't bring myself to criticizing being a mere surf lunester  :boast:

I tried the sarcastic way of criticising as I didn't want to be too direct. I think I failed.

Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I tried the sarcastic way of criticising as I didn't want to be too direct. I think I failed.

Duncan

That's ok Duncan. I was being a bit (humorously) sarcastic with my reply about the metal thieves! We got there in the end! Any copper, zinc, iron... anyone?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Sounds like you've got the towering rock-face situation under control and I hope to see some photos soon with it a bit lower so that you can fit some sky in  :no:

Oh well, Billy, you know your place!

I'll have the formers adjusted today, but I need to go and buy some 3mm MDF sheeting for the backscene - so that's tomorrow morning's job. And more mod-roc is needed.... the list goes on. Fortunately it's the last major piece of hillside structure that uses a lot of resources.

Jeff

Jeff;

Tupdale, an S&C layout I have always admired, was able to use some distinctive rock formations:

tlgphoto01.jpg

tlgphoto04.jpg

These were even part of a feature in Model Rail on modelling realistic rock...

Having said that - your formers were looking a bit more Chee Tor than Blea Moor, so it's probably for the best that you downsized.

gallery_12813_2044_1129657.jpg

Cheers

Scott

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Scott, in one sentence you've managed to include two of the best scenic layouts that have ever been built: Chee Tor and Blea Moor.

Nothing I could do would compare with these.

I think I'll be sticking with soil, earth banks, grass and a lower hill angle.....

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's worth detouring to Kirkby Lonsdale and having a walk around the town and along the river to the bridge next time you go over to Cumbria; it is a lovely town. Good pubs too :)

Edited by Sandside

• RMweb Premium

Right - here is the result of 4 hours work. It may not look much, but all the cutting and fitting takes a lot of time.

Two pairs of pics to compare from yesterday and today. Spot the difference (it may be minor!!  :no: )...

post-13778-0-88527600-1364578316_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-55656200-1364578324_thumb.jpg

and then...

post-13778-0-10559400-1364578331_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-39275800-1364578340_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I still think it is worth googling Devils Bridge Kirby Lonsdale.

Don

I'll have a look at this prior to starting the stream work, Don.

It's worth detouring to Kirkby Lonsdale and having a walk around the town and along the river to the bridge next time you go over to Cumbria; it is a lovely town. Good pubs too :)

Yes, I agree on both counts!! Thought it's over 20 years since I've been that way!

Jeff

Right - here is the result of 4 hours work. It may not look much, but all the cutting and fitting takes a lot of time.

Two pairs of pics to compare from yesterday and today. Spot the difference (it may be minor!!  :no: )...

Jeff

I'd tend to call that major surgery. :jester:

Duncan

Jeff;

Tupdale, an S&C layout I have always admired, was able to use some distinctive rock formations:

tlgphoto01.jpg

tlgphoto04.jpg

These were even part of a feature in Model Rail on modelling realistic rock...

Having said that - your formers were looking a bit more Chee Tor than Blea Moor, so it's probably for the best that you downsized.

gallery_12813_2044_1129657.jpg

Cheers

Scott

Jeff just out of interest the large rock on the hill top is a lump of coal, as per Andy McMillian write up in Model Rail, I still have the copies.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Jeff that new hill top contour is really great. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bodgit :sungum:

Much better profile Jeff, worth the extra effort.

So will be plastered by midnight then???

Andy g

I'm actually doing no more today. That's because I'm going to buy some 4' x 2' 3mm MDF sheets from Wickes tomorrow and fit the curved backscene board in place before I put mod-roc etc on top. Even then I might not get very far as I've only one and a bit rolls left: 10 more on order.

You were correct from the start. This is far shallower and far better. Btw, the "surgery" involved cutting new formers and repositioning the supports. The old ones weren't usable - I couldn't just cut the tops off.

Andy - re. Tupdale - I remember it appearing in around MR 60 - hell, that's probably the best part of ten years ago. I've got all the MRs from number 3 - I ought to look it up. 

I'm itching to do something - but it'll have to wait. Plaster asap Andy!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You nearly had me fooled, I saw the first picture and thought 'What changes?' then I read the text, looks a million times better already.

Re: The lump of coal, I have often used coal as a rock strata pattern pressed against the plaster, sometimes bits stick to the plaster the formation looks pretty good all the same when painted.

Stone walls: Made the second batch but not taken any pictures or painted anything yet.

Been in the den' today fitting insulation and plasterboard framing. Hoping to get the ceiling boarded out tomorrow.

Anyone going to York on Sunday, I'm having a day off :no:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

You nearly had me fooled, I saw the first picture and thought 'What changes?' then I read the text, looks a million times better already.

Re: The lump of coal, I have often used coal as a rock strata pattern pressed against the plaster, sometimes bits stick to the plaster the formation looks pretty good all the same when painted.

Stone walls: Made the second batch but not taken any pictures or painted anything yet.

Been in the den' today fitting insulation and plasterboard framing. Hoping to get the ceiling boarded out tomorrow.

Anyone going to York on Sunday, I'm having a day off :no:

Evening Mike.

I'm hoping that I will have enough mod-roc to get some of the fell done tomorrow. If not, it'll be early next week. I'm much happier with the new arrangement. When you look at it, it looks "right", as against yesterday's abomination!

When you get chance I'll be very pleased to see how the walls have turned out. I'll have to start building my own in the near future.

Have fun in York!

Jeff

Jeff;

By design or accident, you may have opened up the opportunity to model one of (to me, at least) the S&C's signature features:

post-8688-0-21276400-1364596805.jpg

No, NOT the viaduct!  The way the mountain in the background has a cliff and scree slope.  I can see it would work on K/L like this:

post-8688-0-13115000-1364596879.jpg

Now it wouldn't be a massive feature, but like the painted lump of coal on Tupdale, it would suggest S&C atmosphere in spades...

That's by 2p worth for the day!

Cheers

Scott

• Like 3