Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Physicsman, on 03 Apr 2013 - 08:12, said:

Morning Peter,

Thanks for the references. Unfortunately they don't seem to match up with the book I have. Maybe because it's a revised, second edition? Page 141 shows Plate 163/4 with 9Fs and page 35 shows Plates 31/32 with an 8F and Dent Head viaduct under construction.

Jeff

And good morning to you Jeff.

Got to bed at 2am as one of my daughters went to see "One Direction" (pop band) at the O2...... Good job I've got the week off.

Didn't realise there was more than one edition of "Rails in the Fells" - mine dates from 1973. The pictures I'm referring to show a Cl.25 on a short freight in Dent cutting. The other, snow fences on the southern approach to Rise Hill Tunnel.

• RMweb Premium

And good morning to you Jeff.

Got to bed at 2am as one of my daughters went to see "One Direction" (pop band) at the O2...... Good job I've got the week off.

Didn't realise there was more than one edition of "Rails in the Fells" - mine dates from 1973. The pictures I'm referring to show a Cl.25 on a short freight in Dent cutting. The other, snow fences on the southern approach to Rise Hill Tunnel.

You mean that YOU never went in to see One Direction, too!?  :O

I've had a skim through the book and couldn't find the illustrations you were referring to. Clearly the 1980 revision was more than superficial. Nevermind. If you spot anything else of interest I'm sure you'll let me know.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

It is possible the reprint had a smaller print size, hence less pages. Typically paper costs rose during the period. The picture may still be there but some pages earlier although real cost savings might reduce the numbers of photos.

Don

• RMweb Premium

It is possible the reprint had a smaller print size, hence less pages. Typically paper costs rose during the period. The picture may still be there but some pages earlier although real cost savings might reduce the numbers of photos.

Don

I would have expected a reprint to be the same as the original. However, this is a "revised" edition, so heaven knows what they did to it! I'll have a thorough look through it later this evening and see if I come across Peter's photographs.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

The second, revised edition of "Rails in the Fells" has a lot of different illustrations.

In the Introduction David Jenkinson explains the reasons behind the changes.  Some of the text, especially the final chapter, was also rewritten.

I used to have copies of both editions but my original one fell to pieces!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The second, revised edition of "Rails in the Fells" has a lot of different illustrations.

In the Introduction David Jenkinson explains the reasons behind the changes.  Some of the text, especially the final chapter, was also rewritten.

I used to have copies of both editions but my original one fell to pieces!

David

Thanks very much, Dave. So there we have it - no class 25 and aqueducts!!

You've saved me a fruitless search. Having said that, any excuse to read Jenkinson's writings is a good one!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've been building up the corner of the layout adjacent to the cuttings. Wire mesh and plaster bandage in place on some of it.... a week ago there was the Matterhorn!!

I'll post some photos after the evening's work is done - maybe around 9pm. That should keep some of you happy.

Including the Baron.... He said he had a busy day planned yesterday, but he seems to have disappeared altogether!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

OK, Chip and Polly - sounds like some new kind of credit card security - here's how the Fell looks right at the present....

The corner section has been fitted in and plaster bandaged. The cutting is still set well back from the track and angled. This is to give me plenty of depth for fitting some of my rock face specials, cast using Woodland Scenics moulds (not yet made - better added in fresh - they paint better that way).

The rest of the Fell tapers down... Anyway - pics, then I'll post further explanation!

post-13778-0-11307500-1365012723_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-41528800-1365012730_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-24626700-1365012736_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's looking really good, Jeff.  Good idea to get it plastered before someone on here changes their mind and persuades you to get the saw out again.  :nono:

The lines marking bridge and aqueduct are most helpful.

Looking forward to the next installment...  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes: 

Soapy :dontknow: Soppy  Lunester

I agree with the sentiments of the previous posters - looks great!  I like that you've left room for the rock walls to be fitted.

(I was going to comment on the shape of the hillside till I remembered the reason I can't find any plaster to do the walls in my house - it's all heading to the bunker to finish the Fell ;) )

Sir Lord Lunester,

That is excellent work, it just gets better and better.

I can't wait for the aqueduct.

I have been past the one on the south of Blea Moor tunnel whilst biking over into Dent (several years ago when i was a bit younger and a lot fitter), seeing the photos has reminded me what a fantastic structure it is.

I will have to have a look up there again this summer so I can compare it with the real beauty that will be in the bunker.

Looking forward to the next episode of this must watch build.

Chip

Hi Jeff, I am back, it was a nightmare yesterday but that was my problem and no RM Web from me so I have just had a catch up,

Thanks to Polly and Chip, for getting the pics out of Jeff so I can make some judgements.

I feel that it will develope nicely and the Aqueduct is something that is rarely modelled.

If I were doing it, which thank goodness I am not, I would have staggered the f/yard entrances by setting the branch back about another 6 to 8 inches, or the main forward, then you can have a nice rock face leading into the branch tunnel.

Please keep the pics coming Jeff,

Oh and a P.S. I need some plaster please if you can spare some. Lafarge have run out, hhahhahhaaahjeeee :O

Bodgit, :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Folks,

Sorry for my prolonged absence but I've just spent the last 3 hours putting another 20kg of plaster onto the bits you saw in the previous photos.

I'd show you some pictures of what I've just done, but when I pressed the button on the camera - nothing - so it's charging up. A full charge takes a couple of hours , but I'll go out to the bunker in an hour and get some shots to post.... by, say, 00.30!!!!

I've really enjoyed myself, but I have to say that the cutting wall, opposite the one you can see in the pics next to the main line, is going to be a bug*er to do. Fortunately you'll never see it without using a mirror, but I'll try and do it as well as I can.

The cutting walls will have rock faces fitted to them - mixed in with vegetation. The rocks will be cast and painted when the whole outline structure has been done. I'm at my dad's next week, so you'll have to wait to see what happens!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy - good to see you back....wherever you've been.

Thanks for the comments. I have a mini Lafarge cement mill working in my back garden!

Hope you are ok - sounds like you've had a few problems.

You've been missed by all!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I am back, it was a nightmare yesterday but that was my problem and no RM Web from me so I have just had a catch up,

Thanks to Polly and Chip, for getting the pics out of Jeff so I can make some judgements.

I feel that it will develope nicely and the Aqueduct is something that is rarely modelled.

If I were doing it, which thank goodness I am not, I would have staggered the f/yard entrances by setting the branch back about another 6 to 8 inches, or the main forward, then you can have a nice rock face leading into the branch tunnel.

Please keep the pics coming Jeff,

Oh and a P.S. I need some plaster please if you can spare some. Lafarge have run out, hhahhahhaaahjeeee :O

Bodgit, :sungum:

Of course, there are NO tunnels in the new arrangement. Each exit (mainline and branch) is round a curve at the end of a 12-18" cutting, whose walls are rock-lined.

We'll see how it turns out....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'll be heading into the bunker shortly to build a small "cutting former" to fit between the main line and branch line. Just a rough guide, but I'll then be able to extend the Fell down towards the aqueduct.

I'll keep the Baron and Chip happy with a pic or two, later!

Btw - very quiet on the Forum. Nothing posted to the main Lunester threads so far today.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Not a single post on here today...

Here are 2 photos which show a whiteout! Hard to pick out details when it's white plaster on white mod roc etc.

There are two parts of a cutting there, honest!

To give a sense of scale: the hill at left is 24cm high, tapering down to 12cm in the middle and then 8-10cm at right, as the rock was sliced out of the falling hillside (see next post).

The interior of the cuttings is blank plaster, ready for stuff to be fixed to it. It does look a mess, because theres hardly any detail to be seen!

post-13778-0-57034100-1365094667_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-78886000-1365094733_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1