Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Mr Portillo was on the S&C today (BBC4) I hope you were watching didn't see any aqueducts but apart from in the rivers there was not a lot of rock outcrops plent y of gr*ss through.Don

Cheers Don.

I love rock formations - and will have them in the cuttings. But lots of gra** and few rocks on the Fell make things easier for me.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly.

Being away gives me more time to think, as I'm not able to DO anything.

Must admit that I'm excited at the prospect of doing a bit of structure-building when I get home!

Unfortunately my return is by car - not by the S&C.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I actually meant by way of the S&C not necessarily by rail - through the countryside and towns, up and down the lanes, over bridges and ditches, camera and tape measure at hand, soaking up the atmosphere.... :sungum: ....wallowing in all that gr***....keeping the sheep in order :keeporder:

But careful not to take the wrong turning....  and don't forget to pick up loads and loads of plaster.... :senile:

Of course, it will delay your return to the Bunker....  :O and that might not go down too well with the Lunesters patiently hovering over their keyboards waiting to make comment on your progress....  :gamer:

No?

A small detour...?

Thanks Ian. That's a new technique to me - but probably effective if Jenkinson was using it!

The beauty of this hobby is it costs very little to try different things.

Cheers,

Jeff

I've seen some lovely real stone walls on layouts which look truly convincing but they've generally been completed by artificial means where they've run the length and breadth of the layout because of the weight of the stone and the time it takes to build them.

I'm sure you will find a suitable method for KL. :ok:

Meandering Lune

Hi Ian, I like the new Avatar mate,

Jeff, we look forward to the next phase in the Bunker, I have just picked up a MINT s/hand LMS Maroon sorry Crimson Lake Duchess today, Lococ driven and the fine valve gear, it was NOT DCC ready but it is converted now and I will have it re named and numdered into a BR Late Crest in the next week or so. I have also reserved another Green one, Duchess of Rutland.

Get back safe, catch you all again soon

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian, I like the new Avatar mate, Jeff, we look forward to the next phase in the Bunker, I have just picked up a MINT s/hand LMS Maroon sorry Crimson Lake Duchess today, Lococ driven and the fine valve gear, it was NOT DCC ready but it is converted now and I will have it re named and numdered into a BR Late Crest in the next week or so. I have also reserved another Green one, Duchess of Rutland. Get back safe, catch you all again soon Bodgit :sung

um:

Good to hear about the Duchess. I've got two, includingaroon City of Lancaster.

I was never able to give them a proper run on the old layout as the curves were a bit tight - but you've got me tempted to run them on KL when I get back....

Jeff

I guess you didn't know, either!

Stumbled across it as I'm using my phone to access the Forum. My finger pressed the wrong bit of screen - very easily done - and up popped the numbers!!

Any increase in spelling mistakes is due to using the phone...!!

Jeff

I'm being a bit dim...  Where do you click to see the numbers?  I can't find it :(

• RMweb Premium

Hi Michael.

If you look at any of the thread menus eg. KL , Lounge etc. you will see the number of replies eg. 5824 and number of views eg. 103416.

Click on the number of replies and a list appdars. I only came across this yesterday.

Hope that helps!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Polly....re. stone walls.

I've plenty of things to do but I'm happy to spend time attempting to build some decent walling. It's such a feature of the landscape that it deserves due time and effort.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian, I like the new Avatar mate,

Jeff, we look forward to the next phase in the Bunker, I have just picked up a MINT s/hand LMS Maroon sorry Crimson Lake Duchess today, Lococ driven and the fine valve gear, it was NOT DCC ready but it is converted now and I will have it re named and numdered into a BR Late Crest in the next week or so. I have also reserved another Green one, Duchess of Rutland.

Get back safe, catch you all again soon

Bodgit :sungum:

Andy, there is actually no difference between LMS Crimson Lake and BR Maroon, same shade, same mix, just different name!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Andy, there is actually no difference between LMS Crimson Lake and BR Maroon, same shade, same mix, just different name! Andy G

Bit of enlightenment there! I like maroon as a colour (I've pre-ordered one of the weathered Dapol-Kernow Westerns in maroon), but "crimson lake" does sound a bit classy!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning folks.

Back at home - and able to type in a post onto my laptop rather than using the mobile. 

First thing I did when I got home was to go into the bunker. The plaster all seems fairly dry and the scene is set for a bit of bridge building.

I've measured up my chosen bridge and I'll draw it out with relevant dimensions and post it on here later. I've no 2mm, but stacks of 3mm ply, so that will have to suffice for the fascias.

As requested, I'll post step-by-step info as I progress. It'll be good to be doing something.

Next job - for the walling - is to order some DAS...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Why not use plasticard? If they are girder bridges I can supply some sort of infor for building if you like!

Looking forward to seeing some more action!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Why not use plasticard? If they are girder bridges I can supply some sort of infor for building if you like!

Looking forward to seeing some more action!

Andy G

Hi Andy.

I'm using the same method I used for the viaducts and tunnel portal. By "fascia", I mean the backing on top of which sits the "dressed stone" plastikard etc.

The double-track bridge will be based around this: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6086/6062134035_e6828c0bed_z.jpg , so you can see the similarity between this (which IS a bridge on the S&C) and the Blea Moor-based portal.

All will become clear once I start. I hope!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

That looks like ist should be a very picture-skew bridge. I take it that you have actually measured your track where it passes through the bridge to confirm that all the dimensions are correct, and that any overhang/throw-out is catered for? I wouldn't want you to build it and not be able to get a train through it!

BTW I can't see the link (work blocks again!) but i take it that the two stringer courses are in masonary and the rest brick, or is it coursed masonary with more stone stringing?

Blind as a bat Luney Andy g

• RMweb Premium

That looks like ist should be a very picture-skew bridge. I take it that you have actually measured your track where it passes through the bridge to confirm that all the dimensions are correct, and that any overhang/throw-out is catered for? I wouldn't want you to build it and not be able to get a train through it!

BTW I can't see the link (work blocks again!) but i take it that the two stringer courses are in masonary and the rest brick, or is it coursed masonary with more stone stringing?

Blind as a bat Luney Andy g

As usual, you make plenty of relevant points!

Yes, stringer courses in masonry, bridge in stone block "brick"...

I've measured the clearances using a Mk1 coach for reference and it seems ok. However, before I cut any wood I'm going to draw and cut the whole thing out in card, place it in position and make 100% sure! If anything looks a bit "close" then I'll tweak the dimensions to compensate.

After all, you'll hardly notice a few mm in the design, but you would notice a collision!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The concern to me would be the height at which the arch springs, It's pretty low, so I would try and find the widest peice of stock you have (at cantrail height) and make sure that it clears. A Mk 1 might not be wide enough!

Also take into account the height of you track, and if you intend to super-elevate at some point that will rasie the rails up again....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

The concern to me would be the height at which the arch springs, It's pretty low, so I would try and find the widest peice of stock you have (at cantrail height) and make sure that it clears. A Mk 1 might not be wide enough!

Also take into account the height of you track, and if you intend to super-elevate at some point that will rasie the rails up again....

Andy G

Already included 4mm for sleeper-rail height.

Must admit I was amazed at the measurements that came off the photos - wait until you see the picture for yourself. I love the look of this bridge, but I think I'll make some "scaling" adjustments to the vertical - even a scale foot (ie. 4mm) may be enough.

I've always used the prototype directly.... Anyway, cutting card outlines costs nothing!

Btw Andy. Where the hell is everyone? It really concerns me that the Forum is so quiet - those manic evenings of posting have always been great fun.

Btw2.... watched one of the documentaries on the WCML etc the other day. Interviews with signal box men at Stockport and Blea Moor were enlightening. Are YOU still ringing bells?

Dread to think what wholesale computerisation, centred at a few points, might end up doing to the network.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried printing out the picture at scaled height? That makes getting the course in the right place nice and easy!

No-idea where people are, so it's just you and me boy! Maybe on holiday?

We still have bells in one direction here, for asking for acceptance for trains across our single line. Look in the Signalling thread, and you can join me in the box (I've put piccys of here on the last page).

The worrying thing is that all the signalling will be running over the green fibre that is just laid in the cess. Ok it has diverse routing on it, but cut in the right place and it's goodnight from me.... The plan is to have emergency panels in the other rocks. The thing they haven't thought about is how they keep the siggys in the other rocs trained on them, as the routes and train service will be completely strage to them.

I guess the system is designed by accountants again.

Funny you are starting a bridge today, I've just cut the first four girders for my Tummel Bridge, a fill in prdject (like I need one!)

Andy G

As promised, the plan for the main line bridge. This is based on the link given in the previous post.

attachicon.gif100_2936.JPG

Jeff

WOW Jeff that looks a bit advanced for me :O , I will look in again when you start nailing bits of wood together, thats more my style :no:

Bodgit and see :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

WOW Jeff that looks a bit advanced for me :O , I will look in again when you start nailing bits of wood together, thats more my style :no:

Bodgit and see :sungum:

Andy - not sure about your nails.... I thought it was the hot glue gun!?

I've a feeling the dimensions of the tunnel will change a little after I've tried it with card. Either way, it'll still resemble the original which I think looks very S&C.

Will show some pics later - hopefully, though I've a few commitments over the next few hours.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Great detail there Jeff, the amount of time, thought & effort you put into this project is just....... amazing  :locomotive:

Cheers Billy.

I'd rather spend 50 hours doing something right than cut corners and take 20 hours getting it wrong. And if you use the prototype it generally works!!

Bit busy today - I really want to get out into the bunker and make this card model.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

OK folks, result of first card experiment.

The tunnel, as drawn on my plan on the previous page is too narrow. Why? Well, it's the old "6' problem" discussed earlier (posts 1403/1408 refer to this)....

The mainline spacing inner-rail to inner-rail, using SMP/Marcway wasn't 24mm (6') - I'd forgotten that. I'd set it to 32mm, widening in one place - the very corner I'm fitting these bridges - to accommodate the tightest curves on the layout (down to about 27" ... most curves are > 40", some up to 72"). In this corner the separation goes up to 40mm (you don't see it - it's under the hill). Consequently, the portal width of the tunnel needs widening.

So I'm about to draw out another card outline, with the "6 foot" set at 40mm, rather than 24mm .... ie. the portal width is increased by 16mm from 104mm (scale 26') to 120mm (scale 30'). This should give me the clearance I need and allow for overhang on these "tighter" curves.

Will report back when I've tried it!

Jeff