Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Hi Jeff and all,

I for one am gald its been quiet on KL as it means I can catch up much quicker :scratchhead: I can see how things are moving on at a fair pace and looking forward to seeing the aquaduct arrive'. Any actual designs chosen yet?

My den' is taking up much of my evening and I too will soon be plastering  -  but not with mod-roc but Thistle skim :locomotive:  :locomotive:

You're getting there. Keep it up.

• RMweb Premium

Looks about right to me Jeff. :sungum:

The only thing that surprises me is that you haven't had a damp problem with all the plaster that's been used. :O

Duncan

Hi Duncan.

Just got in - been busy, not modelling!

Dampness - there have been 2 issues. First, I painted part of the Fell a couple of days after plastering it. Bad move....the plaster, deep down, can take upto a week to dry. For a fortnight little drops of water were dripping out of the bits of plaster not coated by emulsion. No harm done, but the moral: let it dry before painting.

Second issue: water dripping from all the modroc I've put on. I go round with kitchen roll and soak it up, but it looks a mess - again, no harm done.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Looks about right to me Jeff. :sungum:

The only thing that surprises me is that you haven't had a damp problem with all the plaster that's been used. :O

Duncan

Hi Jeff and all,

I for one am gald its been quiet on KL as it means I can catch up much quicker :scratchhead: I can see how things are moving on at a fair pace and looking forward to seeing the aquaduct arrive'. Any actual designs chosen yet?

My den' is taking up much of my evening and I too will soon be plastering  -  but not with mod-roc but Thistle skim :locomotive:  :locomotive:

You're getting there. Keep it up.

Evening Mike.

I wasn't sure I'd done the job "properly" after today's plaster went on. The middle section of hill seemed too high. BUT I looked at the cross-section of the hill if a cut was put in, and it seemed to fit. AND I looked at the tunnel portal I've previously built. 10cm to the top of the portal itself and 12cm to where a road-deck would be....matches the level of the mid-section perfectly.

Looks a bit odd at the moment as the cutting goes nowhere and the bridges etc need fitting. I won't get chance to build these for a while - I may build a full-size card mock-up to see what it'll look like.

YOU are getting there too!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chip,

I can see you lurking in your normal position. Sorry today's pics were virtual white outs. I'm going out to do some more plastering shortly - I'll try and get a different angle for you to peruse!

Btw, thanks for your confidence in KL. I haven't a clue how I'm going to build the stonework of the aqueduct.... the bridges are easy - just like the portal. But all that stonework....umm!

Jeff

Progress is looking good there Jeff, the cuttings look a good depth, and I like the way you've swept the hill up across them, so many people just have a flat top to their cuttings.

Been prepping for plastering today, though for me I think it will be Thistle undercoat tomorrow.  Also had a play with squirty foam.  I think I managed to do everything I wasn't supposed to with just the first can.  I'm now wondering how long till I'll try it for scenery...

• RMweb Gold

When plastering walls I always find the next morning the windows are abolustly dripping. With normal house plaster you can see the colur change as it dries which helps. Also the first coat of paint is best diluted as the surface is so absorbant.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Progress is looking good there Jeff, the cuttings look a good depth, and I like the way you've swept the hill up across them, so many people just have a flat top to their cuttings.

Been prepping for plastering today, though for me I think it will be Thistle undercoat tomorrow.  Also had a play with squirty foam.  I think I managed to do everything I wasn't supposed to with just the first can.  I'm now wondering how long till I'll try it for scenery...

Sounds like you and Mike (see above) are doing the same job at the moment!

I've just managed another 2 hours plastering. My plaster supply, which stood at a healthy 20kg yesterday, is down to 2kg. Good job I'm going to my dad's for a few days - I can get over my plaster "fix".

I'll be glad to have a bit of a clean-up tomorrow afternoon. May even run a loco round - haven't done that for a couple of weeks!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

By gum Jeff, it's quiet on here, too much Easter chocolate eaten by Lunesters?

Hi Jonathan.

It was exactly the same yesterday. Admittedly, I've been in the bunker for a few hours, but there were no posts on here until Andy at 5pm!

Maybe we're all getting bored with what everyone else is doing. More likely, people are just busy.

It'll be quiet on here next week as I'll be away for 4-5 days. I'll contribute via my phone. While I'm at my dads I'll try and sort out how I'm going to build the bridges/aqueduct.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The plastering seems to be coming along ok

It certainly already gives some depth to the project

Greetings Billy!

I've just run out of plaster - 20kg of powder gone in about 6 hours bunker-time! Ridiculous. However, I'd say 90% of the plastering is now complete. I'll take some photos shortly to show the current situation, as it won't be changing for a while. I'm pleased with the cuttings - I think they'll look a damn sight better than 2 tunnels.

Being a Physicist I'm always analysing situations. To date, I've used 90kg dry mass of plaster. So let's say 200kg wet. People have said it's a good job I made the subframe the way I did. True - though I reckon the frame could support at least 5 times the current plaster weight. But an interesting thought occurred to me. The plaster isn't applied directly onto the subframe - it's sat on top of the former frames - made from 12mm ply and 44mm softwood. They are showing no signs of stress, so the 100mm x 50mm frame certainly shouldn't be! Besides, the weight is distributed over a large area, so the applied pressure and tensile stress on the joints is relatively small.

Sorry to ramble - musings to fill space because, as Jonathan said, nobody seems to be posting across the Lunester network. 

Jeff

Well all I can say is ramble on Jeff, That's why we visit, to find out what you and our fellow ramblers think. :locomotive:

It is very quite, I have a few other things to do today away from Sheddington  :O

I am still managing to visit our fellow Lunester sites every now & again but I am filling in with a review or two its that quiet  :boast:

• RMweb Premium

Enjoying your progress reports Jeff - and the ramblings.  You'll be able to ramble all over KL soon with tent and backpack!   :mosking:

Off to look at pictures of buildings around Padstow harbour which we might be able to use on Camel Quay.

Will lurk loiter pop back later and see how you're doing.  :yes:

Pollytunnel

• RMweb Premium

Hi jeff, just popped in for a quick look after adding the back scene to Glen Close :O WHOOPS SORRY, :no:  finick.

Not much going on mate. :stinker:

Bodgit of Bodger, Bodgit and Botchit :sungum:

Glen Close indeed! I'll have a scan at the Monarch of the Glen in a moment.

Enjoying your progress reports Jeff - and the ramblings.  You'll be able to ramble all over KL soon with tent and backpack!   :mosking:

Off to look at pictures of buildings around Padstow harbour which we might be able to use on Camel Quay.

Will lurk loiter pop back later and see how you're doing.  :yes:

Pollytunnel

Thanks Polly. I'll be happier once I'm underway with a bit of scratchbuilding - it'll be the end of next week. There's only so much plastering you can do without it becoming a bit of a bind (ha ha).

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I'll try not to say this again this weekend (Andy, Duncan and a few others have been saying it recently) - where IS everyone?

The threads are dead - we might as well hibernate.

I've started studying the photos of the bridges carrying the aqueduct over the line. Don't expect a copy as I might "freelance" them a bit. We'll see.

Hope the weekend livens up!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

My thread has been quite busy Jeff...........

That's probably because you are doing something interesting with your wagons. I notice Greenfield's been busy, too, but I can't bring myself to look since I spotted Larry has ripped up most of the track again!

You'll have a quiet time on here over the next week as I'm off to sunny Cumbria on Monday - just in time for the Atlantic weather fronts to bring rain in for the first time in weeks!!

Jeff

:sungum:

I'll try not to say this again this weekend (Andy, Duncan and a few others have been saying it recently) - where IS everyone?

The threads are dead - we might as well hibernate.

I've started studying the photos of the bridges carrying the aqueduct over the line. Don't expect a copy as I might "freelance" them a bit. We'll see.

Hope the weekend livens up!

Jeff

Evening Jeff

I've just updated my thread after one of those days. :boast:  :scared:

I certainly wouldn't expext a copy of the viaduct but a freelance version is probably going to be as challenging and suitable to the area. :sungum:

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff!

I've been quiet but I'm still watching the progress and as always I'm still mightily impressed!

I'll be using polystyrene for all the contours on The Old Road, due to it being very lightweight, however, I haven't even considered what I'll put on top to apply the scatter/other greenery to...

My thread has gone fairly quiet too despite progress being made which I know can almost be frustrating.

Should be able to get some more wood before I work tomorrow so I can make a bit more progress.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the construction of the aqueduct, if your scratchbuilt efforts on the viaduct(s) are anything to go by then we should be in for a treat.

I really like how KL is more of a railway in a landscape then most layouts are - fantastic!

One of those layouts I could sit and watch for hours and never get bored...

• Like 1