Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Just to be completely different and because I knew no better, I used strips of 150gsm card, with different lengths cut to make the transition a bit more gradual. Three pieces thick at the point, going down to one about 4 inches away. The one slight issue I found was that for some odd reason, Copydex doesn't seem too adhesive between plastic and the card / paper although ballasting seems to have sorted it out.

I see elsewhere (Gordon's excellent Eastwood thread) that you have asked for us to put pressure on you about hand built track. As such, may I suggest that you get hold of Templot and have a mess-around with it; it is addictive and really encourages you to have a go. Even if you resist the temptation, it's great fun just seeing what you can create and I found it very educational re: track in general (I learned a whole load of new terminology).

Regarding Barrow and more relevantly Cumbria, reading that you are there made me really jealous. It is only three hours drive for me to get home (Cumbria will always be home) but I don't go anywhere near enough!

• RMweb Premium

It sounds like you drive as fast as me! I got west Oxford (Botley) to Barrow down to a smidgeon under 4 hours if I travelled at night, the limiter being the A34 and Stratford...though that was 20-odd years ago! I can get to dads from Stockton in 1h 40m, again at night, again with some "imaginative" driving. Every time I've been in Barrow this Spring/Summer it's p****d it down for the most part. It's ok now - 'til tomorrow.

My mate Al (aka "Schubert") uses Templot. I'll have to buy the software and have a play. I don't need to make the points for KL, but - just like the scratchbuilding - I fancy having a go. After all, I never thought I'd end up building those damned viaducts (straight, nevermind curved - I was going to use Wills kits!!)!

Thanks for the info. re. the SMP-Peco transition. It'll undoubtedly prove useful!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

So, what do I do for the next couple of days? Now that we've passed the Equinox and (astronomically) "summer" (we didn't have one this year - oh, maybe in March) is a thing of the past, the nights are drawing in rapidly providing incentive, and excuses, for lots of time in the model room.

Since that's currently 115 miles away, I'll have a think about the turnout wiring, DCC bus and design the landscape - and how I'm going to build it.

Plenty to look forward to...

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, A bit wet and windy in TS17 this morning, just right for a spot of indoor modelling. Been on leave so have just caught up with developments. Things seem to be coming along very well. Unless I am totally mistaken, Templot is a free download.

Just to make you and all your readers totally jealous, the purchasers let me have architect's plans and elevations of the house I am buying with the future SWMBO. There is space in the loft for a 24'x12' layout with track level at about 3' 9" above the floor and allowing for backscene. The only problem is going to be the chimney that goes through the middle of the house as it is not on the plans. It may make a useful scenic break. As a trade-off, SWMBO is going to convert the attached garage into a music room. Pity really as I was going to use it as a workshop and a place for an 00-9 layout!!

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jonathan. Yep, it's a bit "fresh" outside - I drove back from Cumbria a couple of hours ago and noticed a "few" spots of rain!

Very glad to hear of your loft space. I have 16' x 12' to play with and the amount of work is a bit scary at times. However, if you plan to spend years building your layout then that's fine.

Fiddle yard has planned-out very nicely. In fact, the whole thing has gone together - using the original plan and modifying it in-situ - better than I'd expected. I've been wracking my brains thinking in 3D to visualise the profile of the viaduct-river-hillside section of the layout. So many possibilities. Anyway, I've got to go back to my dads later in the week, but hope to start laying some track shortly.

Btw, it sounds like you have found a very nice SWMBO. She is obviously a SWIWTN ... she who is willing to negotiate!!

Welcome back. Jeff.

• RMweb Gold

Very glad to hear of your loft space. I have 16' x 12' to play with and the amount of work is a bit scary at times. However, if you plan to spend years building your layout then that's fine.

Jeff, I plan to be there as long as I can climb the loft ladder (yet to be fitted)! Reading through various threads, including yours, has taught me to take my time, so that I can avoid mistakes of my previous efforts, so the space will not be too scary. It will take several years as I cannot work at the pace of Larry (Coachman). I plan an LMS (ex-Midland) Peak District location set around the 1930s. Your flowing points and trackwork have got me thinking about 00 bullhead rail and using my existing Peco 75 in the fiddle yard. Now, do I also go digital?

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I plan to be there as long as I can climb the loft ladder (yet to be fitted)! Reading through various threads, including yours, has taught me to take my time, so that I can avoid mistakes of my previous efforts, so the space will not be too scary. It will take several years as I cannot work at the pace of Larry (Coachman). I plan an LMS (ex-Midland) Peak District location set around the 1930s. Your flowing points and trackwork have got me thinking about 00 bullhead rail and using my existing Peco 75 in the fiddle yard. Now, do I also go digital?

I know the DCC thing is a much-debated topic on here, but I wouldn't think twice...go DCC. Never mind all the twaddle about 2 wires to the track etc, DCC is so much more realistic - you can move your locos anywhere, anytime - no need for section switching etc. I'm sure you know the score. The only downside is the cost of the decoders - but I think it's worth it.

LMS - good man. My non-BR steam stock is predominantly LMS. Should be fun! Look forward to your preliminary ideas - start a thread!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, just had a catch up on your thread as I have been away for a few days, I expected to see rolling hills by now, HA HA HA :no: Your dedication to the finner things are just great and I am still as facinated as ever with your commitment to detail. all the best Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the kind words Andy. I've got my head round the wiring, DCC bus, droppers and turnout mods, so I should soon be able to make real progress. Problem is I'm spending time away from home - so it's not possible to get on the way I want to. The last thing I want is a gash-up job. If it ended up like that I'd rip the whole lot out and start again!

Keep watching - something will happen (relatively) soon. Maybe before you find you've won the Hornby competition!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, Any modelling today? Even wetter. Nightmare journey from Leyburn, needed a boat not a car and joy of joys I have to go to Kendal today. At least I get to see Kirkby Stephen East, West and Hawes Junction if I get that far.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, Any modelling today? Even wetter. Nightmare journey from Leyburn, needed a boat not a car and joy of joys I have to go to Kendal today. At least I get to see Kirkby Stephen East, West and Hawes Junction if I get that far.

Best of luck Jonathan! I'm probably heading back to Barrow in the morning when the rain has moved south-west. No modelling, but I've just ordered wiring, solder and a new iron in preparation for track action. Even the wiring is going to cost a small fortune!

At least Kirkby Stephen station is at the top of that 1 in 8 hill - so if you get through the ford at the bottom you'll be ok!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

At least Kirkby Stephen station is at the top of that 1 in 8 hill - so if you get through the ford at the bottom you'll be ok!

Jeff

Back in one piece after fording numerous lakes across the roads. There was a river where the road should have been coming down the hill from Kirkby Stephen East towards the town centre. There is still scaffolding around the box at Garsdale but judging by the bright paintwork it is there for repainting.

• RMweb Premium

Back in one piece after fording numerous lakes across the roads. There was a river where the road should have been coming down the hill from Kirkby Stephen East towards the town centre. There is still scaffolding around the box at Garsdale but judging by the bright paintwork it is there for repainting.

I was supposedly heading over to Cumbria today but decided against it! You did well to get to Kendal...

Got my new soldering iron yesterday, so I'm going to brush up my soldering skills using a batch of old track. Haven't done much lately. I suppose I ought to order a few more point motors as well...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well, I have to admit - my soldering is c**p!! In the "good old days" of building circuits with discrete components, it was razor sharp. Now, I would hardly say I'm proud of my efforts to solder 1/0.6 solid core wire (will be used in droppers to the DCC bus) onto the rail-side. Umm. I will certainly NOT be showing you guys the horror story in photos.

Right, time for some fine sanding and a bit more time spent practising my "skills".

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Keep practising with that iron it can only get better. I hadn't done any for 28 years and after a few attempts resulting in burns to me and the workbench I now feel much better about it, some of what I have achieved on a loco kit is IMO quite good. Well I was happy with it anyway.

I look forward to seeing your track laying progress later.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jim. I'm actually quite enjoying myself - I've got a piece of Hornby code 100 fixed to a sheet of ply and a number (increasing!!) of 1/0.6 droppers fed through the wood and propped up against the rail. It's nice to see an improvement. In the end, it'll only be me that knows how good a job I did, as the whole thing will (mostly) be hidden by ballast etc. But it's been a while. The new Antex iron is a good bit of kit though!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Mate, Glad I am NOT reading about water levels up to the viaduct in the railway room as I know the weather up your neck of the woods is awfull. Just one quick tip, wear old clothes when soldering, I burnt a nice pair of jeans when an iron slipped off the bench once. All the best Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mate, Glad I am NOT reading about water levels up to the viaduct in the railway room as I know the weather up your neck of the woods is awfull. Just one quick tip, wear old clothes when soldering, I burnt a nice pair of jeans when an iron slipped off the bench once. All the best Andy.

Cheers Andy. I was supposed to be travelling over to Cumbria this morning but gave up on that idea. A 40 mile stretch of the A1M near Scotch Corner is still closed and there are floods everywhere. Since I don't NEED to travel, I won't.

I'm wearing an old tracksuit. I once remember doing some slide photography processing - in the days of film (!!) - managed to spill a tiny amount of concentrated sulphuric acid from a measuring cylinder onto my jeans. Over the next week or so they rotted in front of my eyes!

At least I feel I'm doing something again. I'm going to discuss a number of things with my pal "Schubert" (that's his RMweb name) and then the track should go down in the station area. I'll set up a DCC bus under the whole layout after that and wire up the station section with droppers so I can test the installation. I reckon the whole thing will take a week, once I get going. We will see!

Nice pictures of Glen Roy at Model Rail Live btw.

All the best.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jim. I'm actually quite enjoying myself - I've got a piece of Hornby code 100 fixed to a sheet of ply and a number (increasing!!) of 1/0.6 droppers fed through the wood and propped up against the rail. It's nice to see an improvement. In the end, it'll only be me that knows how good a job I did, as the whole thing will (mostly) be hidden by ballast etc. But it's been a while. The new Antex iron is a good bit of kit though!

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, What solder and flux are you using? At a York show a couple of years ago I discovered Duncan's flux and solders www.duncanmodels.co.uk, no connection etc. Used with fluxless solder it's great. The surfaces don't need cleaning up before soldering and no messy residues after. It makes solder flow like rain water in the recent floods here in the NE! I think it's dilute phosphoric acid so usual precautions about ventilation.

At least I feel I'm doing something again. I'm going to discuss a number of things with my pal "Schubert" (that's his RMweb name) and then the track should go down in the station area. I'll set up a DCC bus under the whole layout after that and wire up the station section with droppers so I can test the installation. I reckon the whole thing will take a week, once I get going. We will see!

I'll take my hat off to you once again, Jeff if you can do that. I've just spent a week laying down one end of my storage area and wiring 12 Tortoise motors plus two wires to every piece of track. Still got 2/3 days work to complete the job. Either I'm slow or you're superhuman...

I suspect the latter... or maybe it's the former and I'm kidding myself. ;)

• RMweb Premium

I'll take my hat off to you once again, Jeff if you can do that. I've just spent a week laying down one end of my storage area and wiring 12 Tortoise motors plus two wires to every piece of track. Still got 2/3 days work to complete the job. Either I'm slow or you're superhuman...

I suspect the latter... or maybe it's the former and I'm kidding myself. ;)

Gordon, the thing is - I don't expect to have a working station area. I just want to make sure a large section of track actually functions - so it won't be very impressive. One problem is that, at the moment, I've only bought one point motor ... I'm using Cobalts. So the end result after a week will be VERY incomplete. At least I can test all the droppers, bus, IRJs for continuity/lack of. I've not enjoyed the last week or so - I just have to be doing something!

I might "bite the bullet" in a minute and order a dozen Cobalts - that'll get me started!

Your track formations are much more involved than mine, so I'm not surprised you are making what you call "slow" progress. Gordon - it isn't slow - it's careful. Kenton is always ranting on about taking care, and test-test-test with electrical installations. He is right - it's essential - and it does take time. I'm certainly no expert (ha, ha - major understatement ... I'm a beginner compared to many) but I like a challenge and - like you, I think - I want it to be right!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Following a discussion on AndyP's thread "Glen Roy", I've been persuaded to show a photo of the real "Physicsman". Problem is, I haven't got many... that's my excuse. I did manage to dig this one out. From 2010. One of my students on a Van der Graaff machine, at a potential difference of around 120,000V. The highly attractive guy doing the explanations is yours truly.

Thanks Andy! I did warn you!

Jeff

post-13778-0-74486400-1348755672_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Following a discussion on AndyP's thread "Glen Roy", I've been persuaded to show a photo of the real "Physicsman". Problem is, I haven't got many... that's my excuse. I did manage to dig this one out. From 2010. One of my students on a Van der Graaff machine, at a potential difference of around 120,000V. The highly attractive guy doing the explanations is yours truly.

Thanks Andy! I did warn you!

Jeff

I must get one of thoses machines if it makes you look that young ha ha hahohohohahahahahha

• RMweb Premium

I must get one of thoses machines if it makes you look that young ha ha hahohohohahahahahha

120,000 volts is good therapy! And yes, it IS my own hair!!

Maybe I ought to ask for suitable captions for the photo! Lol.

Jeff