Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I meant to add that I'd also consider Gordon's method of laying the track in the "No Nonsense" stuff. Water resistant, so impervious to later dilute PVA addition during ballasting.

A bit more thought needed, then off we go. Decisions. I do wonder, at the end of it all, if it really matters!

Fun!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

I'm off for a few days now, so there'll be no playing with the track. The trusty laptop's going with me, so I can continue to woffle/post!

Jeff

Hope you got that gardening done before you went! Saw lovely property over the weekend,with what seems like a BIG loft from standing on steps through hatch door. How are you at boarding lofts? No truss beams in the way, just a chimney going through the middle.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jonathan. Dad doesn't have internet, so I'm presently sat in my car in the road using BT wi-fi. Bit of a pain...if I go back into the house, the neighbour's signal doesn't reach.

Glad you've spotted something suitable. A large loft area sounds just the ticket - keep your fingers crossed!

I did a LOT of gardening before coming over to (very wet) Cumbria. Have to sort out my pond when I get back.

In the meantime, I've been looking through plans and photos of S&C stations and dreaming of tracklaying. Very sad, isn't it? Once the bug strikes it's hard to get rid of!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

(On tea break) Heard from future SWMBO so say house offer accepted. Cannot wait to get into that loft to see what the possiblities are. The seller is a builder so may get him to install a couple of Velux windows! The bug strikes again!

• RMweb Premium

(On tea break) Heard from future SWMBO so say house offer accepted. Cannot wait to get into that loft to see what the possiblities are. The seller is a builder so may get him to install a couple of Velux windows! The bug strikes again!

Fantastic! Great to hear. I'll have to pay you a visit to inspect the layout, look at the stars and drag you down the pub!!

I've just sorted out a geometrical problem with trailing points, so I'm pretty chuffed too.

Bl***y railway modelling has a lot to answer for!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic! Great to hear. I'll have to pay you a visit to inspect the layout, look at the stars and drag you down the pub!!

I've just sorted out a geometrical problem with trailing points, so I'm pretty chuffed too.

Bl***y railway modelling has a lot to answer for!

Jeff

Jeff, The long side is approx 24' in length. The depth of the house is over 18' and the pitch of the roof is quite high so I am hoping there must be between 10-12' of width at a workable baseboard height. Should I go 0 gauge? Only joking. The pub is just across the road BTW.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, The long side is approx 24' in length. The depth of the house is over 18' and the pitch of the roof is quite high so I am hoping there must be between 10-12' of width at a workable baseboard height. Should I go 0 gauge? Only joking. The pub is just across the road BTW.

This gets better and better! And I'm not referring to the pub! Even if you could "only" manage to squeeze 20' x 12' out of the space it would be a bit bigger than what I've constructed. And that's one hell of a space.

O gauge? don't be daft. G gauge, then you can extend out of the side of the house and build a helix linking the railway to the garden!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

O gauge? don't be daft. G gauge, then you can extend out of the side of the house and build a helix linking the railway to the garden!!

Jeff

(On lunch) No need, I've the 12" to 1' version a couple of hundred yards away in the form of the Wensleydale Railway!

Hi Peter. It's a strange thing... Until recently I was quite happy with code 100 Peco track. Then, after much thought, I decided to build the new layout using Peco code 75. The Peco 75 looks good - I'm going to use it in the fiddle yard. Then I read a thread about changing the sleeper spacing on Peco track. The result looked excellent, but what a faff!

Hence the move to SMP (it could just as easily have been C&L). It's only when you put the two types of track together that you realise how narrow the sleeper spacing is on the Peco.

Having said all that, just look at the number of superb layouts on here that use Peco. Yours included. Once the track is down, ballasted and weathered, does it really matter - except for the officianados (and I'm certainly not one of those!)?

Best wishes (it'll be getting hot soon down your way, won't it?),

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I think as you are building from scratch you would be mad not to go code 75 and using SMP or C&L is definetly the way to go. As I said my next layout will have fine scale track.

Not hot yet but warming up it was 21 today though we had high winds late last week 100kph plus in some areas with some quite heavy rain and hail. It had fined up by Sunday I got quite hot when walking the dog down the beach, still need the wood heater going in the evenings though.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter,

I think I have all the track I need for the scenic area and basic fiddle yard, so it'll be fun fixing it down.

It's definitely cooling down here, though the bunker maintains a fairly steady temperature. Even in winter I should be fine with an oil convector heater and a jumper! A steady 15+C will be fine when it's -5C outside.

Have you got any outline ideas for a new layout? Whatever you do, don't sacrifice Llanbourne!

Jeff

You gentlemen do realise that your conversation is being observered by an antipodean.

15C ? Luxury!

Sounds as if the planned railways are good and sometimes perhaps even enjoyable. Remember, I expect sacrifice in the quest for perfection. A bit of freezing weather would be good for you both!

Robbie (NZ lower North Island where there is snow on the hills today) (and why model S&C when we both know that Southern Region BR is civil, dignified, and post-card-like? ... none of these windswept moorlands with the ghosts of 1870s navvies...)

• RMweb Premium

You gentlemen do realise that your conversation is being observered by an antipodean.

15C ? Luxury!

Sounds as if the planned railways are good and sometimes perhaps even enjoyable. Remember, I expect sacrifice in the quest for perfection. A bit of freezing weather would be good for you both!

Robbie (NZ lower North Island where there is snow on the hills today) (and why model S&C when we both know that Southern Region BR is civil, dignified, and post-card-like? ... none of these windswept moorlands with the ghosts of 1870s navvies...)

Cheers Rob!

The S&C - most definitely windswept moorlands, but also including exquisite landscapes and wonderful man-made structures. And lots of sheep!

I've always been a devotee - maybe it comes from living in the north of England and regularly passing through the S&C environment. Maybe not as civilised as the SR or GWR, but plenty of variety of motive power, operations and surroundings with almost infinite possibilities.

Cooling down over here now, Rob - 7C last night. those cool nights are on the way! As you emerge into summer in NZ, the long evenings should give me more of an excuse to spend time in the bunker and get on with some modelling. Keep nagging me about the "sacrifices"!! Lol!

Good to hear from you!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hey up.......... :help: Nearly a week gone by since the last image was posted, so if all the trackwork has been completed and wired up, how is the station coming along....? :biggrin_mini2:

Hey Larry, I'm not quite in the "miracle worker" league like you!! :no:

I've been away for a few days (fishing with my dad) and hardly been in the bunker! Shocking, eh? Meanwhile you have recreated an entire station and its environs!

The positions of the scenic area have all been marked on the board, using the actual track. Of course, I'll have to re-do this shortly when the cork goes down. It's just a case of getting started... Once that happens I think things will proceed very quickly for a while. Keep looking! In the meantime, I will enjoy Greenfield. Now who built that one? :boast:

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

*snip*

I've been away for a few days (fishing with my dad) and hardly been in the bunker!

*snip*

Cheers,

Jeff

In which case, Jeff, photos of your best specimens are surely an appropriate substitute? It's your thread, after all... :jester:

Cheers Rob!

The S&C - most definitely windswept moorlands, but also including exquisite landscapes and wonderful man-made structures. And lots of sheep!

I've always been a devotee - maybe it comes from living in the north of England and regularly passing through the S&C environment. Maybe not as civilised as the SR or GWR, but plenty of variety of motive power, operations and surroundings with almost infinite possibilities.

Cooling down over here now, Rob - 7C last night. those cool nights are on the way! As you emerge into summer in NZ, the long evenings should give me more of an excuse to spend time in the bunker and get on with some modelling. Keep nagging me about the "sacrifices"!! Lol!

Good to hear from you!

Jeff

I too have always liked the atmosphere of the Settle and Carlisle, the land is similar to some parts of NZ. I have never been to the UK except by reading such as O S Nock .. evoking images of the trains from Carlisle to Yorkshire, and having had untoward influences upon my innocent self by anglophilic teachers.... a tradition which is quite strong in NZ. Although not so many kids learn Latin these days.

My mother was born in Guildford in 1921 as I have quite probably mentioned before somewhere or other, so I am bound to favour the southern part of England. On the other hand her father was the son of a Great Northern Railway director who traces his roots to Westmoreland.

In any event I have always lived and breathed such as Meccano, Hornby, motorbikes I owned and rode for years, BSA AJS Norton and Triumph, then Jaguars and other British cars... the cars in particular I took pride in dismantling and assembling properly after export from the UK! Well, some 1970s cars were, shall we say, imaginatively assembled.

It's once again entirely off-topic but in view of my Southern Region 'thing' I recently read a book about SR driver Bert Hooker, and he made reference to an unrebuilt Bulleid Pacific 'going missing' somewhere west of Exeter. I like the idea of complete Southern Region express trains going missing, and I think the culprit may have been valve gear oil bath leakage and slipping. So I photographed my latest folly, a Kitmaster/Dapol exercise which cost 9 Pounds and was a good test of my very average kit-building skills. I put the engine on a grade somewhere, certainly not shy of steam even with a 250lb boiler. Bert preferred the unrebuilt Bulleids to the rebuilds.

I look forward to photos of your expanding railway, and wish you well with it as winter approaches.

post-7929-0-11547200-1347583628.jpg

or, as Bert would have driven it, with an equally skilled fireman... 11-on for 390 tons... and I had to get some proper steam engineering into a Settle and Carlisle thread!

post-7929-0-35819900-1347597616.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

In which case, Jeff, photos of your best specimens are surely an appropriate substitute? It's your thread, after all... :jester:

Lol! Scott, if I started posting pictures of roach and carp, people would think I'd gone nuts! I'd probably find an ambulance at my door with people in white coats ready to take me away!!

Besides, I'm not a great fisherman... Sounds like you boys are getting withdrawal symptoms. Tell you what, I'll post a photo showing cork stuck on the baseboard later!

Cheers!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I too have always liked the atmosphere of the Settle and Carlisle, the land is similar to some parts of NZ. I have never been to the UK except by reading such as O S Nock .. evoking images of the trains from Carlisle to Yorkshire, and having had untoward influences upon my innocent self by anglophilic teachers.... a tradition which is quite strong in NZ. Although not so many kids learn Latin these days.

In any event I have always lived and breathed such as Meccano, Hornby, motorbikes I owned and rode for years, BSA AJS Norton and Triumph, then Jaguars and other British cars... the cars in particular I took pride in dismantling and assembling properly after export from the UK! Well, some 1970s cars were, shall we say, imaginatively assembled.

Rob, it sounds to me like you are very definitely an honorary Brit! I've never gone down the motorbike route, but I can relate to everything else. Meccano is a classic "toy" and a key influence on so many modellers. I'd suggest that some of those 70s British cars needed to be imaginatively assembled - many of them fell to bits after a short time over here!

I've never been to NZ. I almost made it to Oz in 2001, as I'd planned to take my honeymoon there, but that fell through. In fact, I've never been into the southern hemisphere - a must-do, in order to see the southern stars (I'm an Astronomy nutter). So NZ it will be in a couple of years. A friend who toured the country 3 years ago just confirmed my determination. She came back with around 2000 digital images, showing beautiful landscapes and friendly people.

Lovely photos of the Bulleids, by the way. I've never been "exposed" to many SR engines, although I did buy a Hornby Merchant Navy in 1999. This model is credited with kick-starting the revolution in British RTR, in terms of quality and detailing. It was certainly a big advance - if I compare it to one of my Britannias from a year or so earlier, there's no contest. The S&C is a rugged place and it's great to be able to run classics like Black 5s and 9Fs on the model. Of course, I've kopped-out on the era: mid 60s also allowing plenty of diesel power...BR green.

I've just stuck some cork sheeting down onto parts of the baseboard, so tracklaying is getting closer. If I get any nice images of locos running over my viaducts I'll send them to you for a bit of "Robbie's image processing"!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Nothing really exciting, but since Larry reminded me it was a week since the last photo I thought I'd better post something!

So here are some pics showing turnouts "correctly" positioned on top of 3mm cork sheeting - some of which is now stuck down.

Minimum radius on the viaduct side of the station is 48", at the far end it's 36".

The platforms will now be around 120cm (48") long, including a curved element of around 30cm (not counting ramps).

Maybe sometime in the near future I'll get to fixing the track down!

Jeff.

post-13778-0-34098200-1347643396_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-61951600-1347643405_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-92584200-1347643412_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

OK, I've posted this here as there was a danger an S&C discussion re. turntables and stockades (!!!) could have taken over Gordon's Eastwood Town thread!

My thanks to Ian Wales, Ian (Olddudders) and Mike for explaining this to me. Mike - I've copied your comments to here for ease of future reference!

Sorry Gordon but this has to de dealt with because we have a Settle & Carlisle fan who clearly hasn't read 'Red For Danger' and who also hasn't got a copy of Houghton and Foster http://www.transport...FOSTER_W_Hubert because the former book mentions the story of the Hawes Jcn turntable and the latter illustrates it albeit with the title 'Garsdale Junction'.

The turntable at Hawes Jcn was allegedly apt to suffer from the effects of the strong Pennine winds and although Rolt attributes the provision of a stockade to an engine being caught on the table and spinning round & round unaided I bet the real reason for the sleeper stockade was simply to make the job a lot easier in bad weather. I believe the turntable was taken out of use in the 1950s - it, or rather the stockade, is visible in post war pictures and remnants of the stockade could still be seen in the 1960s. And the turntable is also included on the 40ft plan I have of Hawes Junction.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes lads, you are correct - just checked-up on Hawes Jn. and Garsdale. My 1911 plan shows the turntable clearly... and I've even got a photo of the "stockade".

Good job I wasn't aware of this feature earlier - as I'd have been sorely tempted to have included on in KL.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Is this a subtle hint by any chance?

I am playing with 7 1/4 gauge this weekend, but should be able to 'pop round for a brew' next week!

Al

Hi Al. No - it definitely wasn't a subtle hint - I've never managed subtlety!! Lol.

Will be good to see you. The Dremel / Xuron stand ready and waiting!!

Jeff

And with the Wensleydale only 10 mins away it Sounds like the perfect home !