Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I know better; I know that when you get started on the garage conversion and layout, you will be a man possessed. For all others, Jeff went at the first KL like a bull in a china shop and progressed at an alarming rate, and he was still in full time employment then !

I know better; I know that when you get started on the garage conversion and layout, you will be a man possessed. For all others, Jeff went at the first KL like a bull in a china shop and progressed at an alarming rate, and he was still in full time employment then !

Yes Jason, and I remember him being up sawing wood half the night then. Good job he's got no neighbours out the back yet, ahhaha

Wonder what Steve will make of all this MADNESS :O  :punish:  :punish:  :punish:

• RMweb Premium

Andy, as for Jason, your comment is spot on. I'll likely be drilling, cutting, grinding etc into the night....

As for my brother, well, I think he's bemused by what's going to happen and is resigned to never seeing me once I disappear into the bunker!!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Andy, brother is still working.

But he won't need to bring the coffee - though I will certainly be drinking gallons of the stuff. I'll set up my own mini-kitchen in the bunker, with kettle and microwave. So don't worry. You'll never go hungry, or have to take your mind off the trains, when you visit!!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Congrats on 150 pages in Bitton, Andy!

As for KL2, there'll be a bit of philosophy and general stuff from me, followed - over the next couple of weeks - by the garage clear out. Then the conversion will start.

How many pages you guys contribute is out of my hands. Not too many, methinks, as we've been discussing it all for months!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Just a quick visit to wish you and your brother a Happy and Healthy New Year, all the best for 2015.

Thanks Mike.

Brother has a number of house projects for 2015, including sorting out the front garden. For me - ummm, back garden and bunker. And a "paid" commission" to do some fairly major earthworks/building at my mate's house. It'll be fun!

I've just been in the bunker to take some photos, which I'll post in the new KL2 thread which will start tomorrow.

3C in the garage today, forecast 11-12C tomorrow. So I think I'll be in there in the "tropical" warmth to start the tidy-up. When you see the pics you'll just laugh!

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

To all Lunesters - and anyone crazy enough to stumble across this thread:

All the best for 2015!

Let's hope we're all able to create modelling projects to the standard we aspire to, however good that may be.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

your garage may be a mess but it's been pointed out to me that our spare room / Bacup's home is an utter tip and I have to agree, especially as it is temporarily home to two layouts and a ton of tools.

• RMweb Premium

your garage may be a mess but it's been pointed out to me that our spare room / Bacup's home is an utter tip and I have to agree, especially as it is temporarily home to two layouts and a ton of tools.

The strange thing about your spare room is that any railway enthusiast will only see the Bacup layout and nothing else. It dominates the room and who'd be bothered about the other stuff in there?

The mountain bike(s), the chairs, the computer, the books, the chest of drawers, the tools, the second layout.... Trivial matters!!

Seriously, it is a great pity that Bacup didn't have a room all to itself. What are you going to do when you build the next major layout? Bacup, surely, can't suffer the fate of "Rubbishtown"?

Jason, very best wishes for 2015. I hope I can get down to visit during January.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't see Bacup ever being scrapped but currently, my interests and time is all devoted to the new layout (see The Mill thread) as there is a hell of a lot to do. It has taken me two days just to add the lintels and sills to the main mill building; windows next and there are almost 100 in the main building (front section) itself.

Seems a bit early to wish you a Happy New Year (I'll do that tomorrow) but have a great New Year Eve mate. Looking forward to you coming down soon; those wagons aren't going to build themselves you know :D

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I can't see Bacup ever being scrapped but currently, my interests and time is all devoted to the new layout (see The Mill thread) as there is a hell of a lot to do. It has taken me two days just to add the lintels and sills to the main mill building; windows next and there are almost 100 in the main building (front section) itself.

Seems a bit early to wish you a Happy New Year (I'll do that tomorrow) but have a great New Year Eve mate. Looking forward to you coming down soon; those wagons aren't going to build themselves you know :D

I was trying to drop a hint in my previous post....  :D  :D  :D  :D

Wagons? What wagons...!!

A completed wagon or two could be one of the first railway (rather than garage) "stars" of KL2.

I reckon the last 2 weekends of January should be free (Fri 23rd/30th). So, subject to weather and you being available, get the MEK out!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Happy New Year to you and your brother and all you richly deserve in 2015. I shall raise a glass to you all at midnight!

Looking forward to the new thread start next year!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Sounds such a long way away, doesn't it?

I'll raise a toast to you, too, as the new year creeps in! No doubt you'll be tucked-up in bed, reading a good quantum mechanics/thermodynamics book (or will it be Delia's "How to cook sausages"?) at midnight?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

All the very best for 2015 Jeff! Looking forward to KL re-emerging from the Fells! :declare:

Regards

Bill

Hey, Bill. VERY glad to hear from you again!

All the best in sunny Morecambe. Hopefully, 2015 will see Fell II resurrected!

Cheers,

Jeff

Evening Jeff,

No, I'll still be up, glass in hand and wonderful memories of the parties we had at each other's house with members of our Wine tasting/Dinner club called 'Vague Recollections' (because that's all you had next morning!) which had a core membership of sixteen. Sadly only four of us left in the UK, with me as the only male, and three (with a single male in Spain). The rest are all gone which is sad, as we formed around sixteen years ago - fantastic memories though and part of getting old I suppose.

Shan't be maudlin though as I've got so much to look forward to in 2015 - how are you going to differentiate between this and the new thread?

Really looking forward to it,

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS, watched a re-run this week of your favourite Quantum Mechanics programme with the scientist with the Egyptian sounding name!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff,

No, I'll still be up, glass in hand and wonderful memories of the parties we had at each other's house with members of our Wine tasting/Dinner club called 'Vague Recollections' (because that's all you had next morning!) which had a core membership of sixteen. Sadly only four of us left in the UK, with me as the only male, and three (with a single male in Spain). The rest are all gone which is sad, as we formed around sixteen years ago - fantastic memories though and part of getting old I suppose.

Shan't be maudlin though as I've got so much to look forward to in 2015 - how are you going to differentiate between this and the new thread?

Really looking forward to it,

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS, watched a re-run this week of your favourite Quantum Mechanics programme with the scientist with the Egyptian sounding name!

Yep, I'm settling down to watch - for the n-th time - the making of Floyd's Wish you were Here and the second Jim Al-Khalili programme on QM/Life.

The threads? Umm. I think that all I can do is a brief introductory discussion for KL2, referring the reader to the KL monstrosity for background details. I'll try and put a few links in to plans/photos etc. Then I'll put the garage pics in. Then off we go.

I'll try to post only in KL2 from then on. Once the layout building is underway I'll try to be strict on the "woffly stuff", but until then, we just continue in KL2 as we left off in KL. I think!

It'll happen, one way or another!!

Jeff

Merry CHISTMAS BU66ER

Happy New Year Jeff, Steve

and all Luesters around the world

wherever you my rest your weary head.

Andy and Dee.

Totally agree with you Andy.

Looking forward to 2015 and KL2

Evening Jeff,

How odd that an old classical 'bore' like myself should also find joy in Floyd! Wish You Were Here means a lot to me on several levels - the 'burning man' on the cover looked just like me when more rotund in those days and all my pals asked how much I was paid! I also liked Syd Barrett from the early work and was disturbed by that angle, especially when I discovered that he apparently walked into the studio whilst the album was being recorded! Shine On You Crazy Diamond also contains some incredible guitar work by Dave Gilmour, (one of the best IMHO) which I'm sure our residents like Bodge, Mick(Donington Road) and Pete(trisonic) as well as others would agree.

What I most enjoyed about Al Khalili's programmes was the way in which he brought QM to the masses in language and with examples that almost anyone could understand.

Enjoy your evening my friend, we already have two 'dead men' (empty Champagne bottles!) by the back door so I suspect sleep will not be a problem tonight! 2015 - bring it on!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 3

Evening Jeff,

How odd that an old classical 'bore' like myself should also find joy in Floyd! Wish You Were Here means a lot to me on several levels - the 'burning man' on the cover looked just like me when more rotund in those days and all my pals asked how much I was paid! I also liked Syd Barrett from the early work and was disturbed by that angle, especially when I discovered that he apparently walked into the studio whilst the album was being recorded! Shine On You Crazy Diamond also contains some incredible guitar work by Dave Gilmour, (one of the best IMHO) which I'm sure our residents like Bodge, Mick(Donington Road) and Pete(trisonic) as well as others would agree.

What I most enjoyed about Al Khalili's programmes was the way in which he brought QM to the masses in language and with examples that almost anyone could understand.

Enjoy your evening my friend, we already have two 'dead men' (empty Champagne bottles!) by the back door so I suspect sleep will not be a problem tonight! 2015 - bring it on!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Guys I've not seen the program but as far as I'm concerned Gilmore and Co could / can do very little wrong, I'm hoping to get Endless River next week, Planet Rock have been playing a lot of the tracks since its release and it sounds up to the normal excellent standard. 

Have a Great New Year Guys.

We all have so much to achieve in 2015