The RMweb 2012 Challenges

Andy Y

Sorry for the delays in setting up the next stage.

I now need to ask challenge entrants to create a summary topic here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/225-2012-challenge-summary-topics/ - with a link to the build topic; feel free to go to town with images and text that help sell the entry as the voting software will point to the summary topic so voters can get a good overview.

You have until 31st October to do the summary topics and then I'll open up the voting in the first week or so of November and it will run until Christmas.

As long as the summary topic links to the build topic and the summary clearly shows where the project finished up on 1st October I've no problem with anyone adding to the build topics and, if necessary, moving them over to the relevant area of the site.

I'm aware that things haven't gone to plan with the RMweb challenges, and I accept that things have been sent to try us with the voting, but given it is now the 28th March 2013, could we have some sort of clear and workable timescale for the challenge's voting process, please?

I say this not out of bias for my own entry, but a concern that many other projects which I consider should be getting more exposure than they have done, are simply sitting there, unread for the most part and ignored.

I'm well aware of the trials and tribulations faced by the site admin over the last few months, and appreciate their position, but some clarity for the benefit of other forum members who have got in touch with me off-site to ask why there's been no movement here, would be appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

Just an idea to take the pressure off Andy.

Extend the deadline to October and rename it the 2013 Challenge.

There's a thought. I withdrew my entry as I realised I wasn't going to get it finished but I would renter if it were extended. That said, it would be a little unfair on those who burnt the midnight oil to get theirs finished in time.

Jerry

There's a thought. I withdrew my entry as I realised I wasn't going to get it finished but I would renter if it were extended. That said, it would be a little unfair on those who burnt the midnight oil to get theirs finished in time.

Jerry

Whilst I appreciate your position Jerry (and I really do, speaking for myself solely I can say honestly competing last year's challenges were a labour of love that very nearly didn't make the cut off), that's entirely the point. The vast majority of the entries did burn a lot of midnight oil to get theirs finished in time, and it's only right that they get their time in the sun, so to speak, after such an extended period after the competition has ended.

I actually allowed myself a bit of a giggle at reading Colin's post above, but am mortified that it might in some way be on the cards...!​ 

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Reading through the rules and the previous posts in this thread your entry didn't have to be finished.

The Scratchbuild Challenge will again be judged against one criteria, that being the overall quality of the entry.

It also doesn't mean that it has to be complete but would be judged as it stands as of the end date.

It's disappointing that this has dragged on for so long and (as has previously mentioned) been forgotten about.

Hi Jerry,

Reading through the rules and the previous posts in this thread your entry didn't have to be finished.

It's disappointing that this has dragged on for so long and (as has previously mentioned) been forgotten about.

Emma - just noticed the links in your signature so had a look. That 3rd class motor car is a lovely bit of work. Have you done any more on that since?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for that. If that's the case I may well resubmit my entry once Andy gets time to look at this although I've been too busy on other projects to progress it any further.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

I actually allowed myself a bit of a giggle at reading Colin's post above, but am mortified that it might in some way be on the cards...!​ 

It was only meant for a giggle.  If Andy takes the idea up "Nothing to do with me Guv! "

Emma - just noticed the links in your signature so had a look. That 3rd class motor car is a lovely bit of work. Have you done any more on that since?

Hi,

On the stock building front I am flitting between the Bo-Bo kit and the 1913 saloon stock project so some more slow progress has been made and will post some updates soon.

I didn't get to finish my entry but as I was an entrant I took notice of everything that everyone else was doing. A lot of people were really pulling out all the stops to complete within the deadline, and and top of that produce a summary topic, too. There is some outstanding work in those threads.

Which makes it all the more - I'm trying not to use terms that will see me banned or censored - embarrassing, shameful and disrespectful.

This is a great shame and I suspect it will have a definite and detrimental affect on future competitions and challenges. Problems with the forum aside, the communication has been dire. At no point, other than when being pressed, has any explanation been offered.

I may have remembered this incorrectly, but was the challenge also offered to readers of BRM? If so, has there been mention of it in their magazine? Or are they sweeping it under the carpet of BCB - a much more marketable and article-generating project.

I may have remembered this incorrectly, but was the challenge also offered to readers of BRM? If so, has there been mention of it in their magazine? Or are they sweeping it under the carpet of BCB - a much more marketable and article-generating project.

Not that I recall in any form whatsoever so I do find the subsequent supposition poor form as with some of your other comments. I'm not going to sit here and moan about how many hours work (and often unsociable ones) that go into the whole mix but when I say there hasn't been enough time; there hasn't.

That's interesting - the entrants managed to find the time. I would have thought they would have deserved some form of explanation, before it eventually appeared.

However, with an ominous cloud I sense coming my way I will throw my hat in on this subject which, in my view, was about recognition of effort and the respect of the (unpaid) time spent by those entrants.

I hope everyone reading this has a wonderful Easter.

I don't think the issue is when it happens, more that people are assured it will happen. I'm afraid Andy that your communication in this part of the forum has not been particularly forthcoming. I look at the dates of the posts in this and the locked thread of il Dottore (still wondering why exactly that was locked?) and people have been asking for clarification and some sort of time scale for completion since the 22nd of January.

It's not a new phenomena so I'm unsure how the "lack of time" line can be thrown at us when we've been waiting patiently since the start of December for the voting.

I note that the MREmag poll will take precedence for the time being so I will calmly await events in the meantime. 

• RMweb Gold

I can understand the the frustration that entrants might feel about the delay but I'm quite relaxed about waiting to vote.  I'm sure Andy will let us know when it's all ready, in the meantime we slackers who didn't get ourselves together and enter anything could perhaps spend the time to catch up on some modelling :yes:

I don't think the issue is when it happens, more that people are assured it will happen. 

I've said it will happen.

Yes, the wishlist poll is time-bound and that's had to have 4 hours work this morning (not saying that that has caused the delays at the front end of this) on what should have been a day off for family so can you please stop inferring I don't give the time?

I can understand the the frustration that entrants might feel about the delay but I'm quite relaxed about waiting to vote.  I'm sure Andy will let us know when it's all ready, in the meantime we slackers who didn't get ourselves together and enter anything could perhaps spend the time to catch up on some modelling :yes:

That is part and parcel of the problem. "It doesn't affect me, so I'm okay".

Sorry Griff, I can't help but feel remarkably put out by this comment, and I am sure other entrants will feel the same. Some of these entries have been worked on over a six to nine month period with nothing to show for it in terms of the due recognition for the time and effort they put in freely, and the content they added to this site.

In comparison, Black Country Blues (which was also part of the 2012 challenges) has been built, is out on the road and has quite the following on RMweb on a daily basis. 

I've said it will happen.

Yes, the wishlist poll is time-bound and that's had to have 4 hours work this morning (not saying that that has caused the delays at the front end of this) on what should have been a day off for family so can you please stop inferring I don't give the time?

I have not been inferring anything Andy: my points have been quite clear cut and to the point. The facts of the matter are clear for all to see.

I am perfectly content to wait until the next working week - so next Tuesday - for you to give us a timescale on when you expect to be able to work on the poll for the challenges.

• RMweb Gold

As someone who attempted two entries, for me the 'voting' has already been done.

The number of views, likes and comments on my two threads are enough for me to realise how good/poor they were, when compared with other stuff I've done before or after.

To feel that the only way to get closure on these challenges is to have an official vote, to me, is not what the challenges were for. Firstly, they were a challenge to each & every member to actually do something. Second, they were a challenge to do something that stretched the modellings skills.

Despite not actually completing either, I still feel a winner, because I had a go and I learnt something.

• RMweb Gold

As someone who attempted two entries, for me the 'voting' has already been done.

The number of views, likes and comments on my two threads are enough for me to realise how good/poor they were, when compared with other stuff I've done before or after.

To feel that the only way to get closure on these challenges is to have an official vote, to me, is not what the challenges were for. Firstly, they were a challenge to each & every member to actually do something. Second, they were a challenge to do something that stretched the modellings skills.

Despite not actually completing either, I still feel a winner, because I had a go and I learnt something.

And I've got a cracking little loco that when I look at it I think 'Ee, that's quite good'.

Whenever Andy gets round to it will be ok with me.

That's great to hear Stubby, and I too have appreciated the interest, discussion and lessons learned from my own entry: doubtless all of the other entrants do too.

To feel that the only way to get closure on these challenges is to have an official vote, to me, is not what the challenges were for.

Sorry Stubby, I don't understand this. It's in the rules put forward last year, agreed on and entered in by all entrants with the natural expectations that the rules would be followed and the competition finished in good time. This has happened with the 2012 Layout Challenge, so why is it different for the Innovation and Scratchbuild challenges?

Firstly, they were a challenge to each & every member to actually do something. Second, they were a challenge to do something that stretched the modellings skills.

Absolutely, and I'm sure all of the entrants learned something and felt good after completing or at least having a go. The issue isn't one of gaining satisfaction from modelling. It's simply that the challenges are brought through to what was supposed to be their natural conclusion.

The winners of the 2012 Layout Challenge (which has been seen through to its natural conclusion) received what was in effect a cash prize of £1500 to spend on building their layout. All the entrants of the two other 2012 challenges have asked for - in both threads in this sub-forum - is a timescale for when the voting will take place. Nothing more, nothing less.

This is not an unreasonable question to ask, given it was a pre-requisite of entering that all entrants understood it would be going to a public vote in December of 2012. 

As I have said previously, I'm perfectly happy to calmly await events, but ask only for some clarity as to when the voting is likely to take place. A question which remains unanswered, and has done so since the 22nd January when it was originally brought up by iL Dottore.

I agree with Stubby,

I strongly believe that battery powered/radio control is the future and the fact that my entry has received over 2000 views and 83 comments would suggest that this is something that interests a lot of other people as well and, one assumes that the manufactures wonder these pages, so as far as I'm concerned job done!

Shame my second entry, the Transparent test truck, didn't make it onto the wish list survey though. :)

• RMweb Gold

That is part and parcel of the problem. "It doesn't affect me, so I'm okay".

Sorry Griff, I can't help but feel remarkably put out by this comment, and I am sure other entrants will feel the same. Some of these entries have been worked on over a six to nine month period with nothing to show for it in terms of the due recognition for the time and effort they put in freely, and the content they added to this site.

In comparison, Black Country Blues (which was also part of the 2012 challenges) has been built, is out on the road and has quite the following on RMweb on a daily basis. 

I have not been inferring anything Andy: my points have been quite clear cut and to the point. The facts of the matter are clear for all to see.

I am perfectly content to wait until the next working week - so next Tuesday - for you to give us a timescale on when you expect to be able to work on the poll for the challenges.

Please don't feel 'put out', life is far too short :yes:

Archived