Burnt Mills

mezzoman253

• RMweb Premium

This is the 1st layout I've built, never had an electric train set as a kid, did have a clockwork one though. Shame I still don't have it.

I've been on the RMweb for about 4 years or so, picking up info' and tips, whilst forming the idea for the layout in my mind and then commencing the build around 3 years ago. I have other hobbies that get in the way, so there have been big gaps between modelling, some of months rather than days. I got re-interested in model railways after taking early retirement from BT and joining Hobbycraft, working in the model shop in the Basildon store.

The layout is freelance and uses a basic Bachmann EZ-command DCC set for operating at present; track is Peco code 100 electrofrog modified to isolate the frog. Loosely based on a north western town with a medium terminus that has seen better days, but still maintains a fairly busy service. I've set it in the modern area around 2000-2003, although I was brought up on a diet of steam in the late 50's and transition to diesels. I do like the modern era around the change to EWS taking over freight, and the class 66's coming on stream. The old yard and surroundings are now used as stabling and a small fuelling point has appeared for the loco's. The old water tower is still in existance and used very occaisionally for steam charter locos. Off scene are a steel firm taking odd deliveries of bar and sheet for manufacturing smaller products. this gives me licence to run the odd freight. There's a branch line for a DMU/LE movement.

There will be some glaring mistakes I suppose, but at present I'm happy with the layout. It's all a big learning curve, but I've enjoyed doing the scenics and buildings particularly. Lots more to do as always, operating panel, finishing touches to buildings/platforms, etc, but at least I can do some running if I feel like it. I've tried some different techniques to the usual ones for baseboards(internal door), ballasting(Klear) and weathering, some more successful than others. There are few resin buildings, mainly the smaller ones, the others being foamboard covered with Wills or SE Finecast sheets.

Rolling stock consists of class 150, 156 & 158 DMU's in various liveries, EWS class 08, 56, 60 & 66 and various wagons. Most of these are as purchased and need chippping, and weathering to varying degrees.That'll come after the layout is "finished".

That's a short resume of the layout so far, if you have any questions or comments please post them. Please note I'm not on RMweb all the time, so be patient if a reply is a little slow in coming back. Further updates as and when I do more to it.

Rob

post-7197-0-44506600-1350565597_thumb.jpg

Updated AnyRail diagram of layout. 11' 6" x 7' (6" grid)

post-7197-0-74031000-1332177800_thumb.jpg

Early shot of progress.

post-7197-0-53507100-1332177965_thumb.jpg

Similar view more work done.

post-7197-0-65296800-1332178042_thumb.jpg

Station approach.

post-7197-0-85969400-1332178168_thumb.jpg

Fuelling point, early stages.

post-7197-0-28680900-1332178313_thumb.jpg

North Western 150 departs.

post-7197-0-21483400-1332178509_thumb.jpg

Lima Rfd on EWS duty, practice loco' for weathering.

post-7197-0-17622200-1332178658_thumb.jpg

Wider view.

Edited by mezzoman253
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

You've done well so far, keep it going. On the track diagram, what size does each grid square equal ? Give us a clue to the overall size...Peter

The squares are 6"x6" so it's about 11' 6" long and varies in width from left to right.

Rob

I've noticed the 'rat's nest' of wiring under the layout. Neat wiring is much easier to trace if a fault occurs, and less prone to damage if the wires are securely routed.

The layout itself looks good. Is is based on any area in particular or is it a generic setting?

Burnt Mills sounds very much like Basildon to me. ;)

Edited by Baby Deltic

• RMweb Premium

I've noticed the 'rat's nest' of wiring under the layout. Neat wiring is much easier to trace if a fault occurs, and less prone to damage if the wires are securely routed.

The layout itself looks good. Is is based on any area in particular or is it a generic setting?

Burnt Mills sounds very much like Basildon to me. ;)

Yes Burntmills is the industrial area of Basildon, that's where the name came from.

It's generic set in anywhere between the north midlands & north west.

As for the rat's nest, you're absolutely correct, it'll get a bit tidier when the control panel is installed, There is a colour code, of sorts.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

A bit more insight into how the layout came about.

My old 8'x6' shed/shack had seen better days, so with the nod from SWMBO, I purchased a heavy duty 12'x8' shed. Then proceeded to kit it out with electrics, insulation, heater and ventilation. As it doubles as my radio station shack, it wasn't practical to do a tail chaser round the walls, so the station to fiddle yard layout was adopted along the back wall.

The base for the layout was two internal doors supported from the walls by angle brackets, and a layer of 6mm ply on top. This was then covered in sheets of grey high density foam in two layers. My thoughts were than it would deaden the sound and I could "plant" buildings in it rather than have them on top of ground level. The grey made any gaps in ballasting blend in and is easy to cut with a scalpel. Track laying was also unconventional, I used "Glue Dots" Glue lines to stick the track down. These are a bit like the stuff you have to hold free gifts to magazines, sticky rubbery stuff. OK on the straights and points, a bit hairy on curves.

The DCC Bus consists of a "K" shape under the boards, and is of quite large amperage being earth bonding wire in yellow/green and comparable in black, I had these to hand and although probably overkill for this layout, I'd rather go over than under for the Bus. Every piece of rail has at least one dropper, long straights have two one at each end. All the points are Peco code 100 electrofrog, modified by cutting the switch rails near the frog to isolate it. This was done with a piecing saw as my attempts to do it with a disc were dreadful! All the point motors are Peco and have double changeover switches, one pole for the frog and the other for signalling, although I'm not sure if I'll use these or do signalling another way. At the moment I've still to make the control panel and just change the points by hand. It'll be traditional with centre off toggle switches and LEDs.

So with all the track down and wired I started a few trial running sessions. I've an E-Z from Bachmann, but as yet no chipped loco's, so ran on button 10 the analogue mode. I would like to upgrade to an NCE system later, as the E-Z doesn't cater for changing CV's. There were one or two minor things during testing, but overall running was fine. I then airbrushed the track to tone it down and painted the rail sides by hand with acrylics, going for a more chocolate colour rather than the traditional orange/rust.

Next was ballasting, I'd been putting it off but eventually thought if I don't do it now I'll never finish the layout. I spread the ballast ( Woodlands Scenics) with a scoop, made out of a tin foil plate, as wide as the rails, and just put ballast along the outsides with the scoop and used a paintbrush to get it in the right areas. Again I went for the unconvential for adhesive and used "Klear". I'd stocked up on this after reading the original formula was being discountiued. I got a can of IPA from Maplin, no not beer but a wetting agent to help the Klear flow through the ballast. I tried misting it on but found I was making more mess than progress, so used a eye dropper to put it on and the same with the Klear. Once i'd got a technique I was happy with things moved on quite quickly, and as others have said, it can be quite therapeutic. After it had set, I tidied up some odd bits that I'd missed and clear the track of any fouling ballast. I've since done another toning down of the ballast and done some fuel spillage areas between the tracks where diesel would stand/idle.

In between wiring and ballasting I scratch built a low relief warehouse using foamboard, Wills brick sheets and some basswood trim. The station, and the higher retaining walls were made in similar fashion. Another scratch built building hides the fiddle yard. All these have been painted and weathered, using acrylics, and powders made from hard chalk pastels. I've also been experimenting the printed buildings/views as part of the backscene. Some have been successful, others not so and the work is still in progress to get the right feel. The backboard was painted, again with acrylics, freehand, using the "Rolf Harris" method. It seems to me to look ok. As you may gather, all this is to create an impression of somewhere, and is not based on anywhere in particular. Just elements that are pleasing to my eye, at least.

Things to do. Platforms need surfacing, I'll probably use DAS air drying clay and paint and weather it. Building/yard lighting, and colourlight signals. Further scenery and detailing. Then when I feel I've "finished, onto the loco' for chipping and detailing.

As you can see some unconventional ideas, some successful others not so, but it's been very enjoyable, specially the buildings and their weathering. If you need more detail about the techniques used please ask.

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few more pics, as a bit more scenic work has been completed, including platform faces, retaining wall detail and moss/greenery, and yard area.

post-7197-0-15446000-1336748540_thumb.jpg

Platform ends.

post-7197-0-91660400-1336748638_thumb.jpg

Fuel area.

post-7197-0-18908700-1336748685_thumb.jpg

Yard, including old trackbed of siding.

Rob

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Not much extra done, just a change of tack on the yard backscene.

post-7197-0-29350100-1341141211_thumb.jpg

Been playing with panoramas, this shows most of layout.

Rob

Hi Rob

That panoramic shot looks really good.

Certainly a great layout you've got there....Keep the pics coming...

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Premium

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the kind comments. Hopefully get round to doing a bit more in the next few weeks, and post a few more pics of developments. My other hobby (Ham Radio) takes up a lot of time during the summer? months.

Regards,

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the comments. Sorry you are "at the grindstone". The idea of Burnt Mills just popped into my head, based loosely in the north Midlands/NW area the mills part seemed a good name.

BTW is saw your banner and had a look at your pics, very nice. Are you a member of the EGMC email reflector by any chance? I'm also interested in aviation & the stars. Small world.

Best regards,

Rob

BTW Basildon MRC show 7/8th. See http://www.basildon-...Exhibitions.asp I'll be there early Saturday morning for a look round, not a member though.

Edited by mezzoman253

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the nice comment and wishes. I'll have to look up Wigan Wallgate and see how it compares.

Regards,

Rob

Edit: Found some pics of Wigan Wallgate and you're right about it. I've copied some for further ideas, thanks.

Edited by mezzoman253

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Only a few small bits done to the layout since last post. Re-jigged the yard back scene, now have to make the bridge and building cut outs more permanent. I'm going to put them on thin card to get some depth to the scene, a bit like decoupage. Once the autumn kicks in I'll start on the control panel and tidying up the wiring.

BurntMills(177).JPG.55d5fa1fb2b760ad8ba887600644b9b4.JPG

New addition to the fleet 37 419 EW&S bringing in the oil tanks.

BurntMills(184).JPG.99dc89c13b83464a0ec2de4de3bccc6b.JPG

Fuelling whilst 08 799 shunts the tanks to the fuel siding.

Odd picture references

post-7197-0-41856100-1344451656_thumb.jpg

post-7197-0-28315000-1344451126_thumb.jpg

That's all for now,

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253
  • Like 2

That's rather nice, plenty of scope for operation and interest without track sturation! Everything appears to have a purpose and isn't just put there for the sake of it. I also like the half relief in front of the backscene to create depth, and the weathering of the scenics.

All in all a very nice layout and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

Cheers

J

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Thanks for the nice comments. This layout gets done in fits and starts, specially in the summer, due to other interests. Come the autumn things should speed up a bit. Couldn't resist taking some pics of the 37. I've been after one for a while at the right price, my favourite diesel class. :fan:

Had a look at your Whitborough Quayside layout, very nice and functional, I specially like the water effects, hard to get realistic effects at the waters edge, but you seem to have got it spot on.

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

As we're approaching the darker nights, I've started to do a bit more to the layout. I wasn't completely happy with the yard area ending in the brick wall. I've changed this to add a bit of length to the fuel arrival road, plus some scenics and alteration to the brick back wall. I've also completed the Knightwight double Portakabin kit and painted and weathered it and placed it ready for permanent fixing.

More to follow.

Rob

post-7197-0-25499200-1349449508_thumb.jpg

Extension to fuel siding.

post-7197-0-07380000-1349450260_thumb.jpg

Portakabins.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A little flurry of activity on the layout over the post Xmas period has seen some work on the branch tunnel walls and the end of the wall on the fuel sidings. Still a lot of work to do though. Pics to follow.

Rob

Edit: Pics added. The camera is cruel on close ups, the walls will need a little toning down with the airbrush.

post-7197-0-35789200-1357224193_thumb.jpg

post-7197-0-23677100-1357224306_thumb.jpg

post-7197-0-57500500-1357224109_thumb.jpg

post-7197-0-28515700-1357224397_thumb.jpg

Edited by mezzoman253
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The cold weather has allowed me to progress with some small improvements to the layout. These have been painting and fixing the fuelling point, building two signal gantries and a foot crossing. I've also got some AWS ramps to place, 3 have been painted and placed to give an impression of what they'd look like, but are not finished yet.

The gantries are impressions of real ones, but not based on any particular version. I'm going to fit separate commercial heads to the gantries, and try and fit scratch built call-on signals and indicator boxes. How that turns out, time will tell.  :)

Rob 

Fuelling point in EWS maroon.

post-7197-0-93343400-1362304360_thumb.jpg

Larger gantry.

post-7197-0-70916000-1362304423_thumb.jpg

Small gantry and AWS ramps.

post-7197-0-19681300-1362304648_thumb.jpg

Small gantry and foot crossing.

post-7197-0-11434900-1362304688_thumb.jpg

• Like 4