RMweb

Burnt Mills

mezzoman253

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi, Been over 6 months since anything was done on the layout, but as winter approaches I've started a few things to keep it moving along. 

I've done a bit more scenics work to the branch tunnel and am scratch building some signals for the platforms and gantries. I've ordered some Berko signal heads for those and should have them tomorrow.

post-7197-0-53856800-1384872789_thumb.jpg

post-7197-0-44987900-1384872841_thumb.jpg

Signals: No heads yet and they also need painting. Unfortunately only the heads will be working. The indicators are just too small for me to work with, so will be cosmetic only.

post-7197-0-27151000-1384873000_thumb.jpg

post-7197-0-22232400-1384873037_thumb.jpg

That's all for now.

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Quick update: Painted signals and attached Berko heads. Also built the feathers (dummy) and added those to one set.

post-7197-0-23849500-1385559306_thumb.jpg

I need to get some ladders for them, and some weathering, but they look ok.

Rob

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi class 66 & gismorail,

Thanks for the nice comments. if i can get the loco's & DMU's half as good I'll be pleased. The weathering and scenery are something I really like to do.

The main aspects are Berko spare heads and will eventually work, not wired in yet, but the other parts are just too small for me to get working, but give the feel of a full set of signals.

Still lots to do on the layout. Control panel is built and wiring is proceeding slowly, plus some of the buildings will be lit, and the station needs finishing.

Rob  

What a cracking layout ;)

Its great to see an older model still in use on a model railway. That 47 looks great & with subtile weathering it shows even now the older lima models can live alongside new models. The signals are great too there so detailed. The actual throat of the the layout looking towards the fiddle yard reminds me of Huddersfield for some reason.

keep it up 

Simon.

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

Thanks for the nice comments. :thankyou:   

The layout is not based on anywhere in particular, just things I've seen and are pleasant to my eye. The 47 is an old Lima model, and is used for practicing weathering. 

The signals need some ladders and finishing with small items, phone, code plates, etc, and a bit of weathering too.

We're getting there.  :)

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

At Ally Pally last year I bought some yard lamps, I've just got round to fitting them today.  :lazy: They're not wired up, so no "night" pictures yet.

post-7197-0-95193500-1389110943_thumb.jpg

post-7197-0-71143700-1389111368_thumb.jpg

They'll need a little toning down, with some matt vanish, as the black is very glossy. 

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few changes to the signalling gantries I'd previously built. With the platform starters scratch built there was no need for the large gantries from the previous pics. These have been re-cycled into a single unit spanning the approaches to the station. I've some double headed TrainTech heads that will fit on to these, as well as dummy platform indicators.

post-7197-0-14254400-1390216421_thumb.jpg 

post-7197-0-69215800-1390216728_thumb.jpg

Whilst taking the pics this one came out quite well, the lighting picking out the weathering on the retaining walls effectively.

post-7197-0-44334000-1390216963_thumb.jpg

Edited by mezzoman253
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Just found some video I took a while back of my Railfreight class 37 on the layout. The quality isn't great, but it gives a feel of the layout. I'll take some more in time and hopefully they'll be better.

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253
All my YouTube stuff deleted due to recent changes in rules.
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Long time since anything has happened on the layout, but I purchased from the classifieds a ViTrains Transrail class 37 from Jonas of this parish. I said to Steve I'd take some pic's and post them.

I noticed that when I opened the box it looked smaller that the Bachmann's I already have, and nose to nose it's a little lower. Is it ride height or perhaps it's just the colour schemes? The buffers seem to be at the same level. I've taken some pic's of it along side a Bachmann 37, it's a very small difference but noticable.

Anyone noticed this before?

Rob

Nose to nose.

post-7197-0-60290800-1411583780_thumb.jpg

Awaiting next duty.

post-7197-0-02668300-1411583839_thumb.jpg

post-7197-0-69209400-1411583867_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Rob

This is looking really good that Transrail 37 looks good despite the Welsh name it was once a regular up here in Scotland and i seen it many times it would look good with some Regional Railways coaching stock trains to Southport Blackpool and North Wales often had 37's on this type of working.

regards

Dave

Edited by scottishlocos

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

It's been over a year since anything major occurred on the layout, but I've finally got a working control panel and am progressing with other lighting and signalling wiring.

The diagram is from an Anyrail plot of the layout, scaled to best fit the bi-colour LEDs, and then this was laminated in A4 sections and stuck to the board with double sided tape.

The points switches are centre off sprung loaded, these are also connected to 2 PPI boards from http://www.blocksign...-indicator-ppi1, no connection just a satisfied customer. When the CDU fires the boards detect the pulse and give an output to the bi-colour LED's. They show Red for a blocked route and Green for a clear route.

There are other switches to go on the RHS of the board for controlling signals and layout lighting. 

Rob

post-7197-0-06610700-1450437628_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 9 months later...