All time favourite Hornby release

Coldgunner

Guest Belgian

Hi.

It must be the L1, the original SR 4-4-0 version. I still have mine, repainted lined black. Looks great with the new Maunsell coaches.

Roger.

I was about to post the same choice: my L1 was something so different to what had gone before and looked stunning for its time. It was, if I'm not mistaken, the first dimensionally accurate Triang (and then Triang-Hornby) loco. Equal first for me was the Rebuilt Merchant Navy, which brought me back to modelling after a 10 year hiatus.

JE

• RMweb Premium

I have to admit rather naughtily that the recent release from Hornby that is my favourite is the VEP but not for the obvious reasons. It was astounding through that long thread we had to watch it go from announcement, much nods of approval, hot anticipation, musings over pre production test shots, a few niggly 'easy to remedy if it really bothers you' type errors (the under nourished horns was mine) then 'it's here', before we descended down a slippery slope starting with realisations that something wasn't quite right, then a couple of more worrying errors turn up, then it went through the mechanical issues and every day more and more problems arose.

Before you knew it there were those undertaking major surgey on a £120 model whilst others gave up, some perservered, others carefully, almost forensically analyised the problem and then finally most declared it a disaster and it was off to Hattons to trade it in for a £89 bargain 4-CEP instead. I was the one who requested that thread be locked as by the end we were going in (amusing it has to be said) circles with different camps either defending it vermently, admitting it had issues that could be remedied through to one or two more extreme viewpoint holders who whenever someone posted something positive about the VEP, no matter how small would jump onto the proverbial table with a megaphone calling "You are all wrong, its all crap".

I don't think any other major most anticipated RTR release has had such a fall from grace so fast and become so much of a curates egg.

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for the 60. I already have too many in my collection, but still want more.........

From the past, the original 9F "Evening Star" in glossy green. Fitted with the best ever tender drive unit - all others were a backward step after this.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived