Could anybody explain why I get purple cast viewing scanned slides ?

Southernman46

Hi All,

Need some advice. Having scanned in a 35mm transparency using a Plustek 7200i at a very high resolution resulting in a very high quality scanned image (around 15MB file size), on attempting to view the image using Windows Microsoft office picture manager the image opens OK but the entire image has a purple cast covering it.

I don't think it's the scanning process but could be some effect of a too large image file ????

but I have no idea...............so I'm hoping one of you digital / scanning experts out these does

Many thanks

SM

Windows Picture Manager is not going to cope very well with big files. Try a proper photo editing package - Gimp is free and works very well.

If this does not cure the issue, you may need to look at the file format in case there is anything in the file that is causing the problem.

• RMweb Premium

Have you any other picture viewing options to check against? As in, does it still come out purple? if so it's the scanner. We have a oldish Minolta scanner at work that does this and it is actually the scanner. It has more than one way of starting and progressing scans and they don't all do it. However it is possible to adjust the colour balance in preview mode. As mentioned, file size may be a problem but I'm not sure it would lead to a colour cast, more likely very slow opening. We have to manually adjust the colour balance in Picture Manager to match the slide, which is tedious and time consuming. We don't use the scanner very much now!

Pete

• 2 months later...

Perhaps you need to tell the scanner what is 18% grey in your scanned slide? Scan a slide that features a (grey) platform and in Photoshop click your colour balance pipette on the grey to set the colour temp. save this col temp and apply to all other scans.

Cheers,

Dudley

Hi All,

An update on this - The images concerned are very large (MB-wise) and on my laptop open up properly in MS picture viewer for a split second and then go purple. The same images open up fine on my parents PC so it would appear to be the laptops' / progams' inability to cope with viewing the large file rather than a fault with the scanned file. So I'm carrying on with the scanning before my slides disappear (especially the self-developed ones - did we really used to go through all that rigmarole to produce images :no: ??). Thanks for the suggestions though - make me realise just how little I know about the subject too.............

SM46

Don't forget that if you are going to view/edit LARGE files, then your computer needs to be up to the task as well!

Probably your graphics card and/or your processor that can't deal with the big files......

Hello SM46,

in addition to Talltim's reply above, there are other hints which say it's probably to do with colour profiles:

http://www.w7forums.com/pink-purple-image-windows-photo-viewer-t1774.html

and

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/547114-windows-photo-gallery-purple-bug/

As the others said, installing a better graphics program than picture viewer will both solve the bug and give you better editing options.

Keen to see the photos though, after all these years.

ewd

Archived