Golden Arrow Productions - Merchant Navy

Has anyone started or built the GAP Merchant Navy?

Having just missed a Millholme Kit (with missing bits) and unimpressed with the Crownline kit, I will give GAP example a try.

I'm surprised that Brucie the Fish hasn't finished one that he could show on his website.

PDK - Crownline - see above, same difference and both look wrong.

When compared with photos and drawings, the proportions are incorrect emphasised by the position of the access holes either side of the nameplate hence my aversion to spending money on this loco.

Tim

.....When compared with photos and drawings, the proportions are incorrect emphasised by the position of the access holes either side of the nameplate hence my aversion to spending money on this loco.

Hmmm, looks like you won't be spending money on the GAP body, then.

I think the Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol cab provided a master for the resin cast - even the window frames look identical.

Thought: why not commission Tom Mallard to scratchbuild an original "MN" for you? It'll cost, but at least you know it will be right. And nobody else will have one.

Ivan,

If the GAP model proves to be less than I expect, it will merely follow other MN's that I have built and be sold on EBay - models of the as-built MN are always a good seller for a nicely made model, especially in the later condition just prior to rebuilding. I am building East Asiatic Series III 35024 as I first saw it at Waterloo, my father's notebook show that it was on a down ACE, just right for Beaminster Road.

The only fly-in-the-ointment is procuring a good outline drawing of the MN, my only copy is J A Russell's, has anyone drawn a better version?

Tim

....The only fly-in-the-ointment is procuring a good outline drawing of the MN, my only copy is J A Russell's, has anyone drawn a better version?

Albert Goodall produced his own drawing of the original "MN". I think I've got a PDF scan somewhere of my own copy.

Ivan,

Very many thanks, my current access prevents a PM but I will contact you this evening.

Hopefully, the GAP is 'better than' both the PDK/Crownline and Millholme models, Graham Muzzpratt seems to have made a good job of other GAP products therefore I should be optimistic as the chassis should ensure a good runner.

When everything arrives, I will consider uploading the progress onto the forum if only to provide others with some inspiration.

Tim

Ivan,

Very many thanks, my current access prevents a PM but I will contact you this evening.

Hopefully, the GAP is 'better than' both the PDK/Crownline and Millholme models....

Chris will no doubt be able to explain what he did to produce the masters for his resin body. I do detect some leftover Kitmaster/Airfix "Light Pacific" cab and front cowling / chimney area in the mix, which made me think that Chris had used the Goodall method and stretched the Light Pacific (basically you graft in a 4mm insert into the firebox area), adding Goodall castings. The section of roof over the firebox did have the correct slope back to the cab.

Archived