New OO gauge Class 73

17 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

The batch one releases are bad runners, but can be overcome by a simple fix as detailed on this thread and a stay alive capacitor on DCC.

The second batch are far far better and are fine runners.

I have two from the first batch and two from the second. The first batch ones would come out to run at an exhibition for a couple of minutes before I got frustrated with them, where as the second batch ones ran for an entire weekend with no problem whatsoever!

Simon

Thanks Simon

I found the thread you mentioned and the Stay Alive and I'm reading thru the DCC Concepts page on the fitting of the bits.

Peter

Good to hear about the running at least ,and Dapol seem to be making at least some improvements on their 73s, I recently got 73109 (NSE and only the body) and 73102, must say the livery application on the two is good, but that lemon color really isnt great as we all know. my to seem to run ok, so again I must be lucky with Dapol perhaps?

NL

• 3 weeks later...

I've just picked up the Blue TOPS 73/0 JA - lovely and the colour is much better too. I notice the roof is all blue as opposed to the fibreglass panels in the 73/1 - I'm assuming this is a prototypical variation? In real life the roofs were generally too grubby to tell...

• Like 2

On 08/12/2022 at 10:43, Marcoblanco said:

Any views on the latest Dapol sound fitted versions?

No takers for this? I'd be interested in what the sounds are like too, and how they have dealt with the electric to diesel (and vice versa) changeover.

Just now, meatloaf said:

i had a look on youtube and i didnt see anything. 

Ditto here. 

I already have two 73s with sound - one a Lima Hornby hybrid with Howes' sounds on an older ESU LokSound v3.5, and the other a Dapol one with legomanbiffo sounds on a LokSound v4. I have no idea whose sound files Dapol are using in their factory-fitted examples. If I am going to fork out for a sound-fitted version, I need to know beforehand whether it is any good. It is much too difficult to return things if not satisfied from here in Australia.

Hi all,

I've just purchased my first Dapol Class 73 - 73 126 as part of a bundle deal (includes a 4TC) from Kernow Models.

I know there have been lighting issues with the Class 73 but having looked through most of this thread I've either missed my scenario or it's something slightly different.

For now I've just been running the model on DC to run in the motor and gear train.

My issue is as follows:

No 1 end leading

RED light illuminates in the facing direction 

WHITE light illuminates in the trailing (No 2) end

Cab light on at the trailing (No. 2) end

No. 2 end leading

WHITE light illuminates in the facing direction

RED light illuminates in the trailing (No.1) end

Cab light on at the trailing (No. 1) end.

Taking the case off confirms the dip switches are all in the default positions.

I've also confirmed the model has the known issue with the RED and BLACK wires reversed to the M+ and M- solder pads.

Will swapping these wires resolve my odd behaviour?

The loco will be going DCC once the ordered decoder arrives.

Any advice appreciated and apologies if I've missed the answer elsewhere in this lengthy thread!

Many thanks,

Mike

Edited by MikeJT

• RMweb Gold

Does the model actually have red/white lights at both ends? If I recall correctly it does not, which explains what you get. 

As for cab lights, you would not have the leading cab lit when moving. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo

23 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Does the model actually have red/white lights at both ends? If I recall correctly it does not, which explains what you get. 

As for cab lights, you would not have the leading cab lit when moving. 

Roy

Yes - by "lights" I mean illuminated indicator panels, able to display white or red light. So I suppose if we're splitting hairs then no it doesn't. Either way it definitely doesn't explain what I get.

As my post explained the issue isn't whether or not they light but that the behaviour (which colour is displayed) does not change when the direction of travel changes.

Tbh I'm not concerned about cab lights - I can choose to isolate those but felt it appropriate and necessary to include the behaviour of the complete lighting circuit when seeking advice.

Hope that clarifies.

4 minutes ago, MikeJT said:

Yes - by "lights" I mean illuminated indicator panels, able to display white or red light. So I suppose if we're splitting hairs then no it doesn't. Either way it definitely doesn't explain what I get.

As my post explained the issue isn't whether or not they light but that the behaviour (which colour is displayed) does not change when the direction of travel changes.

Tbh I'm not concerned about cab lights - I can choose to isolate those but felt it appropriate and necessary to include the behaviour of the complete lighting circuit when seeking advice.

Hope that clarifies.

Your model is not faulty. The colour won't change because on Southern Region locos these were not coloured lights - instead the blind boxes illuminate whatever is displayed on the blind. So, if you change direction, the blind won't automatically change colour either on the model or in real life.

Both Hornby and Bachmann have equipped some EMU models with coloured LEDS so that these change from red to white depending on direction but that isn't itself an ideal solution because you then end up with a red light shining through whatever is displayed on the blind, which never happened in real life - it was always a white light behind the blind.

The Dapol model allows for the lights to be turned on or off via the dip switches or DCC but until miniature revolving blinds are developed we will all have to accept a degree of compromise with SR two-character displays.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The indicator panels are printed, they can't change colour, a white LED just back lights them in direction of travel though you can have both on for light engine moves which it sounds like is the way yours is set up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I noticed the blinds issue on my two which I recently purchased. I understand why it's the way it is, but I'd have preferred a bi-colour led behind a white blind as a better compromise than showing the completely wrong colour for direction of running.

Just received a superb weathered version of 73136 in Intercity livery.  Runs fine on DC but when testing it on DCC with a Bachmann 36-554 decoder, it just makes a buzzing sound as soon as it's placed on the track.  Does anyone know what might cause this fault?  The decoder worked fine in my Bachmann Class 47 and DCC system (Bachmann Dynamis) is set up ok and has never given problems before.

I think the buzzing sound is like the noise you'd get if it's just got a blanking plate fitted and you try and run it on DCC.

Edited by BR(S)

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BR(S) said:

Can the Bachmann 36-569 designed for the Class 90 be used in other 21 pin locos? Otherwise, the 36-554 is the only decoder I've got other than sound ones, which I'm not prepared to risk. 

Yes, its just a standard Zimo decoder with some CV's pre configured for the servos.

• Thanks 1

On 06/12/2022 at 21:54, St. Simon said:

Hi,

The batch one releases are bad runners, but can be overcome by a simple fix as detailed on this thread and a stay alive capacitor on DCC.

Simon

Thanks again Simon

I got the required DCC Decoder and the Stay-Alive - it has improved the running so it is a regular runner now.

Pleased I got Jerry Baker - Squirrel Rail - to repaint the loco in to BR Blue as 73002

Peter

73002.jpeg.5b206d737a7001908ace18814a14ffea.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...