New Layout - New Chapel Street

uglykidjoe

Don't like that building mate, looks far too yanky doodle dandy. Can't see that it fits the theme, and looks out of place.Less is more...

Hi Rob do you prefer this...

More deliberation....again nothing stuck down yet hence gaps lopsidedness etc etc.

(Sorry about the loose bit on the main building only noticed after I took the picture).

A small facility seems to fill the gap nicely, I could have some steps down from the wall to tie it in too. I would also extend the small curved fence and wall to fit.

post-8200-0-38511900-1343036685.jpg

post-8200-0-06024400-1343036693.jpg

Steve

BTW the building is German outline but I can see where you are coming from it does look US.

Thanks William

I have some stacking Portacabins, may be those at the back with the ground raised slightly below the small facility and tanks. That would also help with the change in ground levels. Perhaps a vehicle access ramp would help too.

I also have two of those small buildings so I could splice them together.

Steve

Have you considered or anyone mentioned havin a small static grassed area with an old half destroyed brick building in it with an old rusty industrial fence around n a to let sign attached, would get some great small details in it, indulge your old building loves and also add some greenery with the grasses and some fine weeds.

Just an idea as I look at the space

Thanks Marc again.

(I have a fascination of old decaying buildings regularly looking at www.28dayslater.co.uk)

How about leaving the warehouse looking rundown, with a modern anex - something that VDA vans can be shunted into. I used to work for British Vita and there were lots of old mill buildings with modern box section cladding attached.

Steve

Hi again Steve,

Despite some of the comments above...

I still like the old warehouse - don't forget,

there is such a thing as archetectural variation...

... even within a small region

A removable section of scenery is something I've played with

on "Wales, Rails, Rain & Steel" - though I've not actually got around to building

the alternative drop in sections.... yet ;)

I'm also going to make removable sections for my next project "Cashmores"

as I like the idea of being able to change time periods......

But it could be the best solution for you,

if you really can't decide on which building looks best....

Cheers again

Marc

Edit: the more modern annex extension could be a good option too

I think we don't model enough examples of such situations

- perhaps we like our models looking a bit too "controlled"

in real life, of course, buildings often evolve as time goes by

For instance, I'm sat in my office, built as the main part of the building was, in the 1970's

and they've been extending it ever since.....

I'm looking on to the opposite wing, built 10 years later...

... with an extension on the roof, built a few years back....

next door to that, is a building just a year old....

Vehicle access ramp.

I have put some bit of wood and foamboad together to get an idea. I think that it has 'clicked' so I think that I will continue with this idea. (It will be removable though)

It looks untidy but it hopefully gives an idea....

post-8200-0-29825800-1343987433.jpg

post-8200-0-92501200-1343987436.jpg

post-8200-0-25575600-1343987439.jpg

Steve

Today I have attached the two backscenes with double sided tape. This seems to work okay as I did need to reposition one of them. I have sealed the lower edge with a small amount of PVA glue.

Typically the join was behind the lowest buildings (there's nothing like forward planning and this is nothing like forward planning!).

Fortunately I had some spare Kibri parts so I have used these as very low relief buildings, I am quite pleased how these look, so I used these to hide the join. There are lots of detailing parts to be added as well as some of the windows....

Hopefully this week I can finally get all the buildings stuck down.

post-8200-0-26188200-1344421423.jpg

post-8200-0-19923200-1344421426.jpg

post-8200-0-43541600-1344421429.jpg

post-8200-0-76840500-1344421432.jpg

post-8200-0-18027900-1344421436.jpg

Steve

Archived