A hidden gem?

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick word to mention the (Toy) Model Shop in Bourton on the Water. It has a great range of RTRMR stuff including some Continental items. Luckily for me there was a very nice Thomson Full Brake in Maroon that just fell off the shelf into my hand so I had to purchase it; would have been very rude not to would it not?

I only found this shop 'by accident' (although it is very much on the High Street), having never seen an ad for it anywhere.

Cotswold coach tourist destination though so beware. Stow on the Wold much nicer but nowhere to sit and enjoy watching the world go by.

Sadly I couldn't find an excuse to search out the old station area due to family presence!!!

P @ 36E

• RMweb Gold

I remember this shop from way back.Does it still have its model railway which was european based if I remember rightly.Lots of Noch bits etc.The Americans love the Cotswolds,so plenty of tourists.

• RMweb Premium

Three layouts (one continental and very toyish; one OO and drive yourself with some DCC sound; one N gauge) and lots of bits and pieces of old stock + some real railway relics including a coach destination board that I want!!

I liked this place because it had the air of a 'real' toy shop with the added bonus of having a large model railway section (OK so mostly RTR). Worth a visit if nearby.

P

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly I couldn't find an excuse to search out the old station area due to family presence!!!

P @ 36E

The site of Bourton-on-the-Water station is some distance from from the touristy bit by the river. Sadly, the station building survived until last year (2011), when it was demolished by the County Council. :( (It was hoped that the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway might salvage it.)

Archived