Lord Street Freightliner T.M.D. oo DCC

lordhinton

well been a busy day today!, started off by enrolling at Leicester college in electrical engineering lvl2 extended diploma,

then came home and had a a look at the layout and used cotton buds (only thing available) to look for a way that a walk way can be made between the two hard standing areas, after around an hour of different ways i could do i decided on the easiest way, straight through the middle!, so i set off in getting the ballast/ground cover up where the path was going to be and then created the path borders with L shaped evergreen strips, (not sure which size), this is so the whole thing is accurate and square as im not very good with filla,

next i waited for the pva to dry holding the L section down then set away filling with polyfilla, i made it very slightly more watery than normal to make it easier to spread, it seems to be ok so far (was done at around 7pm) this now needs to be painted

the part inbetween the points is a peice of plasticard blu-tacked down, will eventually be stuck after painting!

also i added the inside shed legs to fill it up abit as it seemed abit open, these will be painted in due coarse,

does anyone have any idea what colour they should be? i have no idea myself, any help appreciated, also i have been playing around on a computer with different logos,warning signs and clearance signs getting them to oo scale on the pc, these will be printed off on next trip up the library! my printer doesn't seem to want to print anything else other than pink, even with a new cartridge.

so that's all for today folks! pictures below :)

DSC_0323.jpg

DSC_0316.jpg

thanks for reading through!

thanks

dan

Hi Dan, your layout is looking really good.

Just a couple of questions-

1) Who makes those point levers? (I need some)

2) Did I see a DB schenker class 92 at the bottom of page four (or am I seeing things???)

Keep up the great progress,

Alex

yeah you saw a red 92 :P, it isnt anything spectacular though, it was my first ever respray, i havent photographed it yet but now it is actually in freightliner house colours!

the point levers arnt made by anyone, well they are there made by me!, i went to a craft shop and brought an A4 sheet of brown foam and also up to the model shop (i went dominoes toys) and got some thin brass rod, (which ever looks right) and just cut and folded the brass rod to shape using two pairs of plyers , then i just painted them yellow with my airbrush and glued them all down!,

i then cut the foam into 1.5x1.5cm squares then punched the brass through the centre to make a hole then pva'd it all down

each one is about a 2 minute job and all together will probably cost around £1 for around 10 levers :D

hope it helps!

dan

the point levers arnt made by anyone, well they are there made by me!, i went to a craft shop and brought an A4 sheet of brown foam and also up to the model shop (i went dominoes toys) and got some thin brass rod, (which ever looks right) and just cut and folded the brass rod to shape using two pairs of plyers , then i just painted them yellow with my airbrush and glued them all down!,

i then cut the foam into 1.5x1.5cm squares then punched the brass through the centre to make a hole then pva'd it all down

each one is about a 2 minute job and all together will probably cost around £1 for around 10 levers :D

hope it helps!

dan

Sounds like a good method. I might have to give it a try!

Also like your new pathway, really fits in to the surroundings

Keep up the good work,

Alex

hi, abit of a layout change going by your opinions!, first off the path is now grey, this will be weathered and what not,

right.

i would love to have a bridge across somewhere on the layout, there are a number of options going for this,

the first is enough room for a bridge across the middle of the layout, this can either be 2 lane or 1 (maybe road access to the layout thats off scene)

secondly the layout can be extended by a maximum of 1 ft, this can be either side as i don't really mind which as the layout can be moved either way, i could either extend behind the tmd entrance and have a single track there where i can manually remove locos instead of a fiddle yard (no room for a full fiddle yard) or the right hand side could be extended back by removing the ground cover and backboard behind back another ft, half being covered by the road bridge, if this option is taken i will be able to have 5 more locos on the layout and another in the head-shunt if wanted. if i do pick the first option the layout will still be extended either way left or right.

does anyone have any opinions on this? the centre of the layout looks very bare at the moment with just points there i want to fill it up abit, (maybe a road bridge is too much)

layout as it is now:

DSC_0036.jpg

thanks for reading and i hope you can help out!

thanks

dan

Hi Dan

I think that a bridge is a very good idea and wont be too much. I will watch its construction with interest (and probably steal your techniques for my own layout (with your permission!))

Regarding the extension I reckon that you should add it on to the right (from experience 1ft wont be enough for a fiddle yard, probably needs at least 2 feet so its not a tight fit)

Thats my opinion. Good luck with whatever you choose,

Alex

thanks :D any of my techniques are free for anyone to use :D i don't really mind, mostly there other peoples ideas anyway! i don't think ill make the bridge a road with paths, i might just do like a single carriage way with barriers down the middle, either way it will be an old bridge

thanks

dan

and heres that yard light guys! ive finally been able to get hold of some plastruct 90750 strips to finish off!, the lights are those plastic cable ties shoved 'n' glued into cotton buds (with no cotton of cause) the whole lot is primed, i like it this colour? what colour should they be?

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

thanks for looking

dan

(cant seem to get that turned the right way!)

here is a couple of the yard lamp for you :P

(it isnt really bent!, well wont be when stuck down, this is placed on uneven polyfilla!)

IMG_7048.jpg

IMG_7047.jpg

IMG_7046.jpg

IMG_7045.jpg

IMG_7044.jpg

IMG_7043.jpg

IMG_7042.jpg

IMG_7041.jpg

another tower lamp has already started being built i just need one more of the 90750 plastruct strip to complete it, oh and another ladder, ill worry about that when it comes to it :P im quite happy with it, im not sure if i should plant it yet or leave it until the very last thing to do on the layout to avoid damaging it

thanks for looking

dan

twos a pair!, i built the second last night, (didnt go bed untill it was done) then sprayed this morning!, there almost identical, the second being around 2mm taller somehow. also it doesnt have a ladder..

IMG_7159.jpg

IMG_7164.jpg

but now theres 2 i think i could do with another!

thanks for looking

dan

hi ive been up to something but im not telling you what yet ;) all ill let on is ive moved the fuelling point across next to the other leaving the hard standing area completely empty, i filled in the part where the fuelling point was and painted it over :)

DSC_0044.jpg

when ive completed the ?????? i will post an update showing it :D

thanks for looking

dan

here 'tis!

took a whole 19 hours from scratch with only 1 picture of Leeds midland road depot (bearing in mind there nothing alike) i created this!, needs a coat of blue/yellow but other than that its done!, i wanted to make the actual crane part movable but i accidentally glued plasticard to its running rail! but the whole crane is movable in the yard on 2 rails so i can move it and remove aswell.. anyway here it is!

IMG_7174.jpg

IMG_7173.jpg

IMG_7172.jpg

IMG_7171.jpg

thanks for looking :D

dan

That is awesome, I'm gonna need a crane for Blockwall Jctn, didn't think of scratch building one though... :)

The closest I can find to one that might be "hackable" is the faller http://www.gaugemast...p?code=FA131244 or the ratio http://www.gascupboa...-crane-546.html

I'd love to find one of the Heljan cranes for sale, but they seem to be well out of my price-range at the moment... :(

I wonder how difficult it would be to scratch build one that worked...

Archived