Lord Street Freightliner T.M.D. oo DCC

lordhinton

well, as it goes, new layout new name ( i dont have a name yet)

my old layout was virtually well lets say it, rubbish, the track plan was fair and worked wondefully but the baseboards were built amaturly meaning they had all sagged causing everything to derail :/

also the baseboard joins were no good for me, so i decided to salvage as much as i could then start fresh,

i have a 6x2 board,

and i have a track plan linked..

i sat thinking for a few hours what to do,

i knew i had to have a tmd because o fhte amount of freightliner engines to stock i have

i wanted a 2 road shed

fueling point

and a headshunt

i came up with this plan below, if anyone feels it could be improved feel free :D

the track plan is abit off scale though, all of the roads on the right are shorter and all on the left are longer, my headshunt holds 2 20's

trackplan-1.png

thanks for looking

dan

• RMweb Gold

Great start here Dan, I like the trackplan but part of me feels it's overcrowded somewhat. What kind of setting will the TMD be in?

I'd set the whole site in a deep cutting, with an over bridge on the left and the backs of tenement buildings overlooking from the back. Lots of grimy brickwork with grafitti, and weeds and rubbish strewn on the ground.

Some tall yard lamps along with street lights on the over bridge and you'll get some great night-time photos.

HTH

Stu

Edit : And a name - how about Lord Street TMD ?

almost got it on one stubby ;) the yard will be set how you say but maybe in the raised part i was thinking of adding maybe a small station rather than the usual shops that people put up there, i want to make the layout grimey as possible :D

that name is a good idea too!, ill have a think about it

thanks

dan

Great start here Dan, I like the trackplan but part of me feels it's overcrowded somewhat. What kind of setting will the TMD be in?

it does look over crowded in the pics but that was because everything was placed down as a "sort of goes here" kinda thing :)

thanks dan

i suppose i could have a road going down to the yard, from a main road with the ramp down the front of the layout infront of the fueling part..

i have layed around 50% of salvaged track and all of the salvaged points, i need around 2-3 lengths of track to complete the track

thanks

dan

First update :D

that raised section is half done!, already in 3 hours work ive built a hinged fiddle yard put up another backscene board, and built the whole raised section...

pictures >

this shows the hinged f/y down (not connected but does work)

IMG_9816.jpg

and this shows it up (not all the way) i will hold this up somehow..

IMG_9817.jpg

these next few pics shows the bridge part, i used the n/r coach i cut here to put on the dead track, this makes it look as though its connected the otherside. everything in the pics is still drying..

IMG_9820.jpg

IMG_9818.jpg

the main electrics will go here like dcc panel and other things.

IMG_9819.jpg

IMG_9813.jpg

IMG_9814.jpg

and last but not least a under-bridge shot.. (i like this one)

IMG_9815.jpg

thanks for viewing and comments always!

thanks

dan

update ish

these first 2 pics shows the space on teh layout, the road with the n/r 37 on is just a possibility, not sure about it yet

IMG_9822.jpg

IMG_9821.jpg

this pic shows the fiddle yard being used (this isnt complete yet)

IMG_9823.jpg

thanks for looking!

dan

Better make sure no-one comes in when your using your fiddle yard! :D

Really looking good, live the idea of the coach end, never thought of anything like that myself!

Keep up the good work, James

I thought the same about people coming in .....crash goes your prize loco.

On the topic of "I'd never thought of that", I'd never thought of putting my DCC connection about the layout in the same way you have. Given I have cupboards under the layout your approach seems much more practical. Thanks for the idea.

one set are a my old set of cloths draws used to keep everything in!, i removed 2 of the draws so i had a shelf sort of thing and also i have a filing cabinet for paints and small tools, and i build a set of 3 shelves to house my not in use models!,

(just dont let the mess win!)

the layout is going to be moved up against my back wall so the f/y wont be in front of the door any longer,

i put my dcc panel there because the layout bracings are only 2" thick leaving little space for it under layout level, the bracings are thin because the layout is more of a permanant thing that wont be moved much..

thanks

dan

update, hi ive been wiring recently, ive laid the 2 roads that go to the main shed and the first siding on the laft aswell as the entrance road, ive done all of the negative and half way through positive, pictures later!

thanks

dan

Hi Dan,

Interesting thread on this new layout of yours. I'm looking forward to the further progress on it. Namewise, I've got a few ideas, any of the following:Bixford, Wemford, Hettingham, Yedley, Hempingham, Lemford, Heckley or Rewford TMD. None of those names already exist.

Andy.

thanks andy! some good names there will have a think about it

UPDATE

i have completed wiring the tracks that are laid and these are all running fine, (tests with Bachmann 20 are all OK) (see pic 1) my, g/f has been glueing down my arch retaining walls and the bridge things (pic 2)

i have also glued down hte inspection pits and making a start on the concrete gorund. this will be sprayed pink (like drs, carlisle) with green walkways

these are made out of 3mm thick foam and sit perfectly butted to the rails, they will be glued down when the rest are added (pic 3) (note the peice of curved track is temporary to give access to hte siding this will not be kept there)

pic 1 :

IMG_0262.jpg

pic 2 :

IMG_0263.jpg

pic 3 :

IMG_0264.jpg

thanks for looking

dan

• 3 weeks later...

hi! got a big update as the web was down i did intend to update 2 previous updates but now i have 3 to update instead!, i have been cracking on with the layout, i have layed all the track and wired it all, ballasted a fair amount (about a quarter of the layout) and have been laying plasticard flooring, pictures below, the flooring was made using 40thou plasticard cut to size, also i scratchbuilt a fueling point out of modelscene suitcases and cotton ear buds and a piece of slaters roofing, also a bit of wire all painted up, more detail will be added to it later on..

sorry for poor quality mobiles arnt really too good and my cameras all the way at dawlish with my dad!

IMG_20120423_173228.jpg

IMG_20120423_173249.jpg

IMG_20120423_173255.jpg

IMG_20120423_173155.jpg

IMG_20120423_173111.jpg

IMG_20120423_173056.jpg

IMG_20120423_173043.jpg

IMG_20120423_173406.jpg

that 20 is a work in progress and is around about 90% complete

comments always :D thanks

dan

thanks mate!

UPDATE!

i have decided to use the name LORD STREET TMD as refered from Stubby47 this seems to work well ans sounds legit :)

ive sprayed all the hardstanding areas grey and will add yellow lines later, the inside shed will be painted pink and green (gresty bridge stile) also i have brought a new shed, this is because the old one seemed abit tatty, wasnt glued together properly in some places and keept falling apart, and wasnt square! so rather than working on it i brought another shed, i plan to use the old shed walls on part of my backscene to finish that off, all the track has been wired and tested heavily only finding one fault where the wheels catch an opposite polarity of the points and shorts everything else, this iwll be looked into, the ballasting will continue,after my shed is built, i will post some pictures of progress after school because i have to leave soon!

ceeeya!!

thanks

dan

thanks mate!

UPDATE!

i have decided to use the name LORD STREET TMD as refered from Stubby47 this seems to work well ans sounds legit :)

ive sprayed all the hardstanding areas grey and will add yellow lines later, the inside shed will be painted pink and green (gresty bridge stile) also i have brought a new shed, this is because the old one seemed abit tatty, wasnt glued together properly in some places and keept falling apart, and wasnt square! so rather than working on it i brought another shed, i plan to use the old shed walls on part of my backscene to finish that off, all the track has been wired and tested heavily only finding one fault where the wheels catch an opposite polarity of the points and shorts everything else, this iwll be looked into, the ballasting will continue,after my shed is built, i will post some pictures of progress after school because i have to leave soon!

ceeeya!!

thanks

dan

Cool, look forward to seeing the pics! :sungum:

here are the pics i promiced sorry for being abit late!

i decided to buy another shed as mine wasnt up to standards and was horribly built,this has been placed on teh layout,also the plasticard bases have been sprayed grey to represent concrete, more later!

i was wondering wether to use the walls of the old shed for the backscene as an industrial type building, not sure wether it will look right

IMG_1567-1.jpg

IMG_1566-1.jpg

IMG_1565-1.jpg

IMG_1563-1.jpg

thanks for looking!

dan

Archived