Bachman 20s and the quest to fit a speaker!

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

There I was the other day, all kitted out with what I thought was a good Loksound Decoder and speaker for my recently acquired D8307 (32-032) and then........

On opening 07 up I found:

the rectangular speaker* was too wide in its plastic holder; no problem I thought so off with the plastic holder and that was sorted;

the plug was 21 pin and the socket was 8 (Doh - that's me being a plonker);

the decoder didn't have a harness (is that what the wires are called?).

OK so I obviously didn't give the supplier enough info. I can deal with that but it was annoying. Lesson learnt; examine loco first before engaging wallet/order.

Anyway, when this disaster struck I just happened to be in a place that just happened to be able to provide an alternative sound system with a Loksound 4.0, eight pin plug and round speaker. However I only received that kit as I left and have just tried fitting it today.

The round speaker is too wide (a lot more swearing). So I swapped the speaker for the aforementioned* .

Great thinks I and then I realise that there is no room for the speaker above the chassis block which has the socket at the nose end.

I open up another of my 20s that has sound fitted already and see that the chassis design is different.

In fact when I opened up another two of my 20s, they too have this socket at the nose end set up - ar*e!

Question 1: am I being dim or do you have to play a different sound fitting game if a 20 has this nose end socket set up?

I was going to 'reverse' the plastic drive cover fittings as this seemed possible. However, on closer inspection I observe that the 'suitable for sound' chassis block is also a different height to the one on 07 as well as having the socket at the cab end.

Question 2: how then do I fit a sound system to one of these (are they earlier make) chassis blocks with the socket at the nose end and if it is possible what 'rig' would members recommend please? Alternatively, is there another method such as leaving the 'awkward' set up and getting a speaker in somewhere else?

I really don't want to hack the chassis block to bits!

I could leave the loco's with just their basic Lenz decoders and no sound but I'm looking forward to twin 20s whistling around my yard

I'll post some pics if that is of any use.

Many thanks.

P @ 36E

• RMweb Gold

Another note of caution - the speaker from a Loksound 4.0 is a much lower impedance than that from a 3.5 - it may be that fitting the 3.5 speaker will resort in a MUCH lower volume than you expect, but better than doing it the other way which would result in a blown 3.5 ......

• RMweb Premium

OK so I've put the speakers back with their respective decoders; that is as per before I started all this faff.

I've fitted the Lok 4.0 and the round speaker that came with it is now in the cab. This thing now works but is hardly audible; I've checked & the CV setting is at its' max of 192. Pah!! It wasn't that loud when I just tried the rig with the body off but now it is really feeble! Any suggestions chaps? Is it simply that the speaker is in the cab and 'soundproofed'?

Oh yes, I think the other decoder I mentioned at the top (Lok 3.5) doesn't need a harness as it would appear it is ready to plug into a 21 pin socket? I now wonder how the speaker wires attach to the decoder ('cause I'm dim.....)?

Oh such fun

P @ 36E

Speaker will need to be 'sealed at the back' for any kind of reasonable volume? Where in the cab have you got it? Suggest black tak

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOLT-PANEL-SEALER-BUTYL-ROLL-STRIP-SEALANT-BONDING-/220511701496?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item33578589f8#ht_744wt_1066

There is a lifetime supply!

Make a ring and sit the speaker into it to seal the back.

20s drive us nuts and we have 14 with sound in! All different. Newer chassis as mentioned makes things better. Legomanbiffo will tell you to mill the chassis block and place in battery box area. Does work.

My loudest is 20 x 40 in newer chassis with speaker sealed at back with Black Tak under the roof fan. The Bachmann fan assembly comes out and are glued up under the grille to increase space.

Good luck!

• RMweb Premium

Nice ones Cassey. That's near to what my two existing sound fitted 20's have but not as good on shut down.

I'm going for a LegomanBiffo reblow on the very quiet chip 'in the cab' jobby and if that works OK in the cab with windows 'opened' I'll do the same in the other older 20 (but maybe with a Zimo and whatever your sound is?). Otherwise it's chassis surgery I fear or Ebay as a last resort.

P @ 36e

Nice ones Cassey. That's near to what my two existing sound fitted 20's have but not as good on shut down.

I'm going for a LegomanBiffo reblow on the very quiet chip 'in the cab' jobby and if that works OK in the cab with windows 'opened' I'll do the same in the other older 20 (but maybe with a Zimo and whatever your sound is?). Otherwise it's chassis surgery I fear or Ebay as a last resort.

P @ 36e

Malland60022,

I also have the latest Bif's class 20, which it is good.

I think Bif's is the best I have heard on a Loksound .

But personally,I have not heard a better sounding 20 than these Digitrains type 1's ............ :no:

Personally I'd remove the DCC socket and hard wire the decoder into the loco. This will give you space for the speaker. As mentioned previously you will need to remove the roof fan mouldings from within the body to create the space needed. I have 4 class 20's fitted in this way.

You will need to purchace another 20x40 speaker wich is compatable with the Loksound 4.0.

Archived