Trap Points. A much neglected feature.

• RMweb Premium

I am (very, very slowly) extending George Street Goods ( original name from first owner).

It's EM and so I have been building, (same mixture of parts as below except for one turnout with plastic timbers that was the first ever one I built under the supervision of Norman Soloman), my own points (yet to be tested under elctrickery - await cursing and swearing when that happens) and some track (e.g. over the boards join).

Otherwise I'm using some old C75 BH Phospher Bronze stuff I've had for years. Its a bit flimsy but it looks weathered in its natural state!!

Without going into great detail I decided that two trap points were required to 'protect' the to be extended single running line that passes and now serves the extension track-work.

I got some helpful hints from RMweb folk (thanks again) and did some research and then found just what I wanted all along in a backdate EMGS mag.

After looking at a few more pics I took the plunge; NS track with wooden sleepers/timbers with a mix of Exactoscale and C & L chairs. Each took about 90 minutes.

Here be the results. Technically not correct but based on prototype examples.

Protects running line from depot/stabling point area; the 'embankment jobby'.

post-2326-0-22840700-1334060783_thumb.jpg

This one below protects the running line from a siding. (Think I might have to get someone professional to build me a replacement three way LH assy if it does not work or looks c**p even after weathering) :drag:

I must at least replace that check rail.

I will be 'rigging' them with suitable 'operating equipment'. I might even try to interlock with a couple of suitable signals (especially the first example on the embankment, as it leads out from my new stabling point). That will be fun as I'm a total electrics duffer. Not sure if it will be semaphore, ground or c/l.

Suggestions welcome :scratchhead: (now then, for signals please chaps........)

If something does run away and encounters Trap a (the embankment jobby) there will be a nasty mess on the road below :nono:

P @ 36E

post-2326-0-13048300-1334060818_thumb.jpg

Just a thought but for the first trap point should the rail in the 4' not be longer than that in the cess?

That would then tend to throw stock cess wards as it derailed. The way you have it derailing stock will tend to tilt towards the running line as it comes off the end of the shorter rail.

• RMweb Gold

The switches seem a bit long on the first one in particular, and there would probably be some kind of guide rail to try to keep the offender from falling over and ending up 30' below. If possible I would move it back a bit.

If the traps are just siding exits I would expect ground signals, but it would depend on era and location. Where is it set and when?

• RMweb Premium

Just wondering about the first photo. Without knowing the rest of the track layout, but it seems that the 'cure' is worse than the problem of runaway vehicles, as it is such a long way down. If there were houses across the road at the foot of that embankment, would they be in danger of being crushed? Or wouldn't the railway care about that, in that more important to protect the railway than the general public?

Would other measures be utilised instead, such as derailing vehicles the other way - after all the main idea (AIUI) is to prevent vehicles from running off down the line, rather than throwing them off the line totally.

Would track work at the toe of the point falling away, be regarded as sufficient to stop runaway vehicles?

Is it intended to be a signalled location, where presumably this point would be almost in front of the signalmans nose?

I don't really know, I just don't like the drop!

Kevin Martin

• RMweb Gold

The aim of a trap point is to prevent an unauthorised movement of vehicles from a siding etc onto a running line. If someone subsequently decides to build houses at the foot of an embankment that's their lookout. If the houses were there first - which is fairly unusual except in some really old urban areas - then it's the railway taking the risk but their first duty is to protect the safety of rail movements, not to think about houses other than by making rail movements as safe as practicable.

Having been involved, as a potential witness/supplier of evidence in several legal cases over the years it has almost invariably been the case that the railway was there first. Interestingly this also applies if the line had been closed but the land remained in railway ownership and track was subsequently restored to that formation - I was involved in just such a case which was settled just before it went to trial in the High Court and the plaintiff lost on those very grounds.

In the Springburn North pic, why do there appear to be traps on both running lines in the foreground,
I expect Mick will confirm but the lines with traps would be freight only lines. It was a requirement to protect a passenger line from a freight line with traps.

Regards

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I expect Mick will confirm but the lines with traps would be freight only lines. It was a requirement to protect a passenger line from a freight line with traps.

Regards

Keith

I think the query why were both lines were trapped, for which the answer is probably either bi-directional lines or the more likely gradients of the (goods only?) branch

post-702-0-43802900-1334555506_thumb.jpg

A bit of a long story, Springbank North was a "Three Way Junction", please ref to my earlier photo and the attached part signalling plan. The lines to Springbank West and South were goods only and were both "Trapped" to protect the Main or Passenger lines. From January 1951, the lines to Springbank South were used for occasional passenger traffic after the opening of the platform at Boothferry Park footballl ground. Following these alterations the trap points in question (No 21) were eventualy laid in the "Up West Branch". The "Facing Point Lock" (No14) shown on the drawing is an error, being trailing the "Traps" were not locked.

post-702-0-90975300-1334556391_thumb.jpg

Archived