Heljen O gauge failing gearboxes

Heljan 'O' gauge gears, A statement.

There appears to be a rumour going around model railway websites that there is a widespread problem with gears splitting on Heljan 'O' gauge diesels. As the largest stockist of Heljan 'O' gauge and with consistantly high sales since the range was first introduced we feel it essential to present the facts to the public rather than destructive "Chinese Whispers"

On the very rare occasions we have seen split gears it is only with Class 35 Hymeks and Class 47 diesels. In all cases the locomotives had considerable amounts of running and it must be stressed that replacement gears are available from Heljan's service agent; Howes of Oxford. Unlike certain other model railway manufacturers, Heljan have always tried to provide spares.

Tower Models are not the service agent, so we do not carry a full range of spares. However when there is a known problem such as broken vacuum pipes on the Class 33's we obtain spares from Heljan and provide them to our customers. ( Note this is our cutsomers; anyone buying elsewhere should contact their supplier. )

Overall we have had very few problems with any of the Heljan 'O' gauge range. If there were on going problems then Heljan would not of won "Model of the Year" competition so many times, or have so many repeat customers. It is a pity that such vindictive rumours can be spread and accepted by so many as true. Anyone with a split gear should contact Howes of Oxford. Anyone who has not got a split gear should stop worrying about something that probably will never happen. As we have said, it is an incredibly rare event given the total numbers sold.

Taken from the tower models website 8-8-12.

mark

• RMweb Gold

I had to replace one on my 47. I contacted Tower where I purchased it from and was surprised when I was told that I had bought it more than a year ago. Where does time go to? They passed me on to Howes who were excellent and sent a replacement within a couple of days free of charge and explained how to do it in a way that even I could follow!

Where I would take issue is with the statement..

In all cases the locomotives had considerable amounts of running

Mine had been test run with an old DC transformer up and down three foot of track a few times one day and that was it! So either I was unlucky or mine had been run by someone else before I bought it from Tower which I doubt very much. I seem to recall from reading something on this topic before that it is the grease that attacks the nylon/plastic.

Regards Chris

I had a Heljan Hymek in for DCc fitting and it had not been run, but one of the gears had split on it.

Another Hymek that we have had for a long time is fine, along with several owned by a friend.

Luck of the draw I suppose, £5 for the spare part from Howes and it is sorted.

I am reassurred to see Towers response to the problem, as I must confess I have been having serious thoughts about not purchasing the forth coming Class 31as a direct result of the negative comments that I have read regarding split gears.Well done Dave and thanks to Mark -- "reevesthecat" -- for posting above report.

Regards,Derek.

• 2 weeks later...

I have changed a few gears on friends Heljan 47s, sometimes several times on the same loco. One thing that has always struck me is the amount of weight these puny looking gears endure. They don't seemed to be helped by the flywheels either, as in the case of a short or cut out, the locos stop almost instantly with little or no effect from the flywheels.

I've always suspected (although I'm willing to be corrected) that if the motors are spinning, and the power gets cut off suddenly, they become in effect, dynamos generating electricity. In this case, do the fan motors put a load on the main motors acting as an electrical brake, causing an even more abrupt stop therefore stressing the gears more? I have disconnected the fans on some locos and seen an improvement in running (and quietness) Or am I talking cobblers :mail:

Jon F.

I have changed a few gears on friends Heljan 47s, sometimes several times on the same loco. One thing that has always struck me is the amount of weight these puny looking gears endure. They don't seemed to be helped by the flywheels either, as in the case of a short or cut out, the locos stop almost instantly with little or no effect from the flywheels.

I've always suspected (although I'm willing to be corrected) that if the motors are spinning, and the power gets cut off suddenly, they become in effect, dynamos generating electricity. In this case, do the fan motors put a load on the main motors acting as an electrical brake, causing an even more abrupt stop therefore stressing the gears more? I have disconnected the fans on some locos and seen an improvement in running (and quietness) Or am I talking cobblers :mail:

Jon F.

Hi John,

The fact that Heljan loco's weigh so much & have those massive flywheels is probably the reason they are such beautiful runners though, non of my kit built loco's even come close to their ultra smooth & powerful running ability's.........I do hope Heljan have sorted this problem with the mod Brian has mentioned as apart from the splitting gear issue I am more than happy with my three Heljans.

Cheers Phill

• 1 month later...

They passed me on to Howes who were excellent and sent a replacement within a couple of days free of charge and explained how to do it in a way that even I could follow!

Regards Chris

As the instructions in the linked blog have disappeared, would anyone be kind enough to post them or point me in the direction of a working link to them. Mine is a 37 that doesn't have a lot of hours on it. Thanks.

BFN

Bill

I have just had this problem with a 33 - contacted Howes who sent a replacement set which arrived the following day, fitted them and run the chassis no problem - but when I refitted the body and applied the power, there was a horrible grinding noise from that bogie area - I removed the body and saw that the markings (permanent black & white marker pens were used) that I had painted on the flywheel of the offending bogie had been partially removed and when I looked inside the body, the underside of the fan motor housing showed signs of abrasion - I cannot understand why the body should now be lower than before to cause such rubbing, has anybody else had a similar experience?

regards

Mike

Have you dislodged the motor Mike? Is it sitting higher up in it's clamp?

Hi Brian,

many thanks for responding, I had to take the motor out of its clamp to remove/replace the gears, and have replaced it into what I thought was the only position that it could sit. I will investigate and report back later. I must admit that I had not considered your suggestion - it seems to be too obvious, but is probably the answer - hopefully, there may be an original mark/line on the motor body for me to work to.

kind regards

Mike

Archived