Street Running in the USA or Canada

trisonic

Here's two pictures of a train doing quasi street running along Atwood Street in Longmont, Colorado. In the first picture, it is the Burlington Northern Railroad way back in 1978. In the second picture, it is the BNSF Railway in the present day. Longmont is a suburb of Denver.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/838561/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/843642/

Wendell

Idaho, USA

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I notice that the lead loco is numbered Y700 and referred to in the description as UPY700. What does the Y signify?

I asked that question a while back.

It's just an extra numbering list in UP's roster. Supposedly for "yard" locos.

It's interesting as it a proper reporting mark which all US rail vehicle owner/operators have, so the number is actually  UPY 700 not UP Y700

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It's interesting as it a proper reporting mark which all US rail vehicle owner/operators have, so the number is actually  UPY 700 not UP Y700

Thank you for expanding my US railroad knowledge. 

My US Railroad shunting layout has one UP loco and I would like to get another with the US flag on each side but not at the prices I have seen so far. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, melmerby said:

Another reason why the Union Pacific Railroad added the "Y" to their reporting mark for yard switchers is because the UP was running out of 3-digit and 4-digit numbers in the aftermath of their purchase of the Chicago & North Western Transportation Company and Southern Pacific Railroad.

Wendell

Idaho, USA

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Wendell1976 said:

Another reason why the Union Pacific Railroad added the "Y" to their reporting mark for yard switchers is because the UP was running out of 3-digit and 4-digit numbers in the aftermath of their purchase of the Chicago & North Western Transportation Company and Southern Pacific Railroad.

Wendell

Idaho, USA

I looked up the reason.

Although they have less than 9999 total locos, due to the way they block number their loco roster depending on which railroad they are from, certain blocks were full.

This list explains it:

https://www.thedieselshop.us/UP.HTML

From that we can see UPY 700 was Missouri Pacific loco #1700 built 1982, became UP #1700, then UPY #700

Although the Missouri Pacific was purchased by UP in 1982, the full merger didn't take place to 1997.

When purchased by UP the MP was a larger company with more locos and more track than UP!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Some of my own photos:

R.J. Corman train Z546 traversing the street running in Shelbyville, Kentucky. This line comes off the "Old Road" (Louisville-Frankfort-Lexington-Winchester,KY, ex C&O/L&N) and serves a couple industries in Shelbyville. At one time it ran south to Bloomfield, Kentucky, but the rails were pulled in the early 1950s.

52325583593_fc679ebe13_b.jpgRJC Local, Shelbyville,KY 8/22/2022 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

Living an hour or so from La Grange, I've been there numerous times over the years.

33207639503_336b8c17db_b.jpgCSX Q510-12, La Grange,KY 4/12/2017 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

51118403827_dc86dbe083_b.jpgCSX Q575-15, La Grange,KY 4/15/2021 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

8560906322_204ac5c4fb_b.jpgCSX Q226-15, La Grange,KY 3/15/2013 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

"Close, but not quite"

R.J. Corman's aluminum ingot train heads east through the state capital, Frankfort. This isn't quite street running as the track isn't paved over and cars/pedestrians can only cross over at certain points, it still has a bit of street running feel to it.

52037402575_deab711a19_b.jpgRJC Z544-28, Frankfort,KY 4/28/2022 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Hunts Point Local shoves through the clutter with just the caboose. Hunts Point, Bronx, NY:

The Explosion at Sal's

South Shore freight runs down the middle of E 11th Street in Michigan City:

Snowy Street Running

RSSX SW1200 802 pulls a cut of outbound tank cars down the alleyway of AdvanSix Chemical Plant in Philadelphia, PA:

Philly's Favorite Pup

PVRR CF7 2647 and GP9 7030 lead the train with only two empty scrap gons past trucks and traffic down Water Street:

The Canal Track

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

All change in Michigan City.

The SSL now runs on reserved trackage down 10th & 11th streets after a huge rebuild necessitating a fair bit of demolition.

All the properties on the south side of W 10th St have gone and the track moved there

On 11th St the road has been divided down the middle  with just a single one way lane for cars, the tracks occupy the rest.

EDIT It's also double track.

EDIT 2

Here's the new double track crossing of Chicago Street where the SSL switches from 10th to 11th Streets

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RsuABaMbbYWBKEZw9

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

This is something recently highlighted to me because it's my favourite Yakima Valley in the 1970s, the street running on Pine St and 6th Avenue features as does the paved areas at the Fruit Row in Selah and the top end of the UP yard where they seem to be unloading plasterboard in the street...

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, 298 said:

This is something recently highlighted to me because it's my favourite Yakima Valley in the 1970s, the street running on Pine St and 6th Avenue features as does the paved areas at the Fruit Row in Selah and the top end of the UP yard where they seem to be unloading plasterboard in the street...

Love the manual trolley pole switching at about 8.15

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/01/2024 at 17:31, Rich_F said:

Hunts Point Local shoves through the clutter with just the caboose. Hunts Point, Bronx, NY:

The Explosion at Sal's

On a more recent shot (April 2023)  the site is less cluttered but has gained crossing arms & lights!

image.png.5e499a4aaea9fff7f2e0da2305cf35a4.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Love the manual trolley pole switching at about 8.15

It saves swapping the poles over, and is easier on the real thing with someone to hold the rope than on a model. I modelled that part of the YVT nearly 20 years ago, and later rebuilt it into a micro layout that is now with the Trolley museum in Yakima.

IMAG30852.jpg.64c7f166e9562a2ea30b743e9ff58614.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Always worth a look

I saw that come up the other day on my subs list! Definitely a scene I'd like to model in the future!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 29/02/2024 at 17:41, Rich_F said:

I saw that come up the other day on my subs list! Definitely a scene I'd like to model in the future!

You can get away with pretty tight curves on industrial lines, probably tighter than the UK.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Actually managed to see a manifest freight in Oakland on one of the days I was there last week......

DSCF0616.JPG.fd4c4553713aa364af4af31c1103f38f.JPG

I missed the front end of a southbound Intermodal by about 2 minutes when I arrived, though the rest of it stopped me crossing the road for another 5 minutes!

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I did spot this other section of street running track in Oakland from BART (near West Oakland station) last week......

DSCF0428.JPG.60fc5ad27e64a4d36a80f70ac3a388c3.JPG

Looking on Google maps, that appears to be Union Street and you can follow the tracks for well over a mile on there, running along 3 different streets, before it peters out under a Freeway.

Still appears to be in use at this end, and the SPV Atlas I have lists it as Oakland Terminal RR but I'm wondering if it used to originally Sacramento Northern Interurban trackage in the past.

Didn't really have time to explore it on foot and some of that area was "dodgy" to say the least - as was the walk between the BART station at 12th/City Centre and Jack London Square TBH.....

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Some interesting shots from the 70s. Here

https://limestonepostmagazine.com/tracks-through-time-the-trains-of-1970s-bloomington/

more here

http://people.kzoo.edu/~rkoenig/memoir/1.html

The shots of Bedford are amusing to me as my lovely neighbours when I lived in the midwest came from Bedford. Their description of it as 'a place where setting fire to tires in your yard is what passes for culture'.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

I did spot this other section of street running track in Oakland from BART (near West Oakland station) last week......

Looking on Google maps, that appears to be Union Street and you can follow the tracks for well over a mile on there, running along 3 different streets, before it peters out under a Freeway.

Still appears to be in use at this end, and the SPV Atlas I have lists it as Oakland Terminal RR but I'm wondering if it used to originally Sacramento Northern Interurban trackage in the past.

Didn't really have time to explore it on foot and some of that area was "dodgy" to say the least - as was the walk between the BART station at 12th/City Centre and Jack London Square TBH.....

If you look back on Google Earth 30 years, you can see what appears to be the trace of several bits of track north of the freeway and the area is much less developed than now

The street running track in Louise Street seems to curve around to the west after passing under the freeway, this trace is still visble to the current day

image.png.1cd15516fb520cabb7c13c2ddf7dfd31.png

• Like 2

On 29/02/2024 at 06:50, VIA185 said:

Two Southern railway of BC switchers return from Annacis Island having delivered a long train of car carriers. Not sure of date - maybe 2007ish. (CJL)

SRofBC switchers in New Westminster.jpeg

Not really street running - it’s just an ungated street crossing. They’re coming off a right-of-way on the right and crossing into the CN/CP/BNSF/SRY transfer yard on the left.

Search for “1300 Quayside Drive, New Westminster” on Google Maps and you’ll see the arrangement more clearly.

• Like 2