GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

My J94 is almost ready for the paint shop, after a good clean up and wash..

.attachicon.gifIMG_5397.JPG

68071 had a vent in the roof so l had to make one..

.attachicon.gifIMG_5398.JPG

When l was into O gauge a few years back l found a Black primer that was so good you could spray the whole loco as it was such a good finish, trouble is l cant remember what it was.. any idea lads ?...

Excellent work George- well done

Halfords Matt Black as used by most of our Clubs O Gauge Loco Builders on Black Locos mate, same for Brown and Grey Primer for Vans and Wagons.

Halfords black paint is ideal for the top coat mate,  but the black etching primer was two in one it was good enough on its own without the top coat ?

That looks very nice George. I take it it will be black given the discussions? It would be nice in red or blue though and would make a change from the usual black of steam locos.

Ah cool. Were there any of that class in other liveries but black? I've seen the other saddletanks without the extended coal bunker in reds and blues.

Yes l have seen J94s in various colour's but they all have fine lining to put on, so l think black is the best option ? hahahaha

Wow George

Impressive modelling reallt liking following your builds only if i wasnt in the process of building my oo exhbition layout i would definately give some of these a go

Hello Chris, Thanks, l too had many 00 projects on the go, but l wasn't really happy with them so to finance my latest venture l sold all my 00, drastic move but l am glad l did as l am much happier in O gauge...

Edited by georgeT

Hello Chris, Thanks, l too had many 00 projects on the go, but l wasn't really happy with them so to finance my latest venture l sold all my 00, drastic move but l am glad l did as l am much happier in O gauge...

Hi George

if I was to start o gauge what kit would you recommend it always seem a massive task    

Connoisseur kits, Jim's kits are great to start with in my opinion.

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/0%20gauge%20locomotives.html

A seconder for Jim's kit's here. My first etched kit was one of Jim's and  never looked back.

If you are looking for a plastic kit then Parkside are pretty good and you get everything in the box except paint and glue. Closely followed by Slaters although there is a bit more to do with a Slaters kit.

Yes l have seen J94s in various colour's but they all have fine lining to put on, so l think black is the best option ? hahahaha

Sorry George but, at the risk of being accused of pedantry, you haven't seen a J94 in anything but black.  Unfortunately a lot of enthusiasts refer to all 'Austerity" 0-6-0ST's as J94's but that was only the LNER/BR(E) classification for the ex. WD 'Austerities' they purchased and these were always painted black.  Those 'Austerities' sold to the NCB and other industrial users were, as you say, painted in a wide variety of colours. Nice model BTW - I'm enjoying following your build.

Cheers,

Ray.

I Have done a one of jim's toad brake vans and was thinking about his g6

Hello Chris,  Very good loco to start with but l don't think there is any cab details on the G6, but thats not a problem to scratch ? they were pretty basic locos..good luck..

Sorry George but, at the risk of being accused of pedantry, you haven't seen a J94 in anything but black.  Unfortunately a lot of enthusiasts refer to all 'Austerity" 0-6-0ST's as J94's but that was only the LNER/BR(E) classification for the ex. WD 'Austerities' they purchased and these were always painted black.  Those 'Austerities' sold to the NCB and other industrial users were, as you say, painted in a wide variety of colours. Nice model BTW - I'm enjoying following your build.

Cheers,

Ray.

Cheers for the info Ray, all the various liveries l have seen on J94s look like they come from the isle of sodor ?  hahaha so l think l will stick with black...

• Like 1

Superb George,

I have a majestic kit for one of these in my stash.

Hello Rob, a lovely loco, although l bought the J94 part built, well the body and chassis anyway, so l had to finish off all the cab area and all the details like the brake gear etc etc, get the chassis to run smooth, still a very nice project to get me back to the world of O gauge...shes now ready for the paint shop...

• Like 1