Reading O gauge show, anyone going ?

3 link

I thought I had better put the topic heading as " o gauge show " as I personally do not think the show is advertised widely enough. The show is put on by the ALSRM and to be honest there is more 7mm on offer than the other large gauges a bit like a mini Telford B) , the o gauge guild will also be there and a lot of 7mm suppliers as well as some demonstrators. If you google ALSRM you will be able to find the flyer for more details, oh and it's on the 12th May ( Saturday ).

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

I have been to every one and was demostrating at the first one. I will be there (unless some crisi prevents it) our local 0 gauge group goes up by train.

There s usally a big gauge 1 layout plus some other scales.

Don

Another one that will probably be found somewhere in the aisles of traders clutching a package or two, and looking as if he can't afford the price of a cup of coffee.

We are lucky being near Reading with the ALSRM show in May and the O Guild show in the same venue in December. No need to drag our heels all the way to Telford with its accompanying issues.

Of course this will have all the usual problems with clashes with other shows on and around that date. May is a busy month.

I will be there as well. First time I will go by car which I understand is fun to park here.

Not as much fun as Telford. As long as they don't block too many spaces with the barriers or folk don't park ignorantly there is usually a steady turn over of spaces from the sports folk coming and going. You can usually find spaces on the industrial estate opposite, and it is a bit about timing and avoiding the mad rush at opening times by being early or late.

Parking's usually OK. It's quite a big car park for the sports centre which has people coming and going all day, alternatively it's opposite a trading estate type place so you can always dump the car there and wander over. I've alway's found a spot OK, but haven't been the last coupla years, although I can't imagine there's been much change to the centre though ! :-)

Not as much fun as Telford. As long as they don't block too many spaces with the barriers or folk don't park ignorantly there is usually a steady turn over of spaces from the sports folk coming and going.

I've now discovered that the thing to do at Telford is to park in the council car park up the road - not only is it £2 cheaper for the day, you can avoid the monster traffic queue by approaching from a different way. It's only a 5 minute walk, so is well worth it IMO, you've just got to remember not to buy anything too heavy :D

Is there any way of finding out what's going to be on the bring and buy stand?

Only if you are psychic

Folk bring on the day and others buy it ;) Ok there is probably some stock from the 'O' gauge Soc estates disposal but this is not exclusively O gauge and is organised by ALSRM. I know of no list ...

can you imagine the scrum? The pushing and shoving gets pretty horrendous as it is. The only difference is with large scale modellers is that you usually get an apology as you get kicked in the shins or pulled out of the line by a neck tackle ... I did say scrum.

[Ed] Ooops, a totally unintended sp. error - after all why would I refer to myself that way?

The only difference is with large scale modellers is that you usually get an apology as you get kicked in the shins or pulled out of the line by a neck tackle ... I did say scum.

Calling us scum is a bit harsh!

• 2 weeks later...

So who's coming and who's round is it first?

Didn't know there was a bar

I was hoping to get the Barclay running to bring it along for a few circuits of the test track, but not to be other events have eaten all available time and it sits without coupling rods and finishing details.

Still, will be there with a list to fill.

I was also hoping to make it a whirlwind visit and get all the way over to Burgess Hill but I don't think I'll be up to the journey.

Show Details

That sounds like a really nice idea. Would join you in the journey but we have guests over (unless they cancel). Can I bring something to run around too? I'm not a member of any society or club but I have a potentially ill 02 that could do with an expert's eye.

• RMweb Gold

There will be an 0 gauge test track there plus a loco clinic so bring yours along. There used to be a bar but I don't think its there these days. there is no E&T stand from the guild. Its a bit far for a one day event now the stuff is at Hull. I will have to make alternative arrangements to pick up the Horse Box I have just reserved.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Myself and Station Cat will be attending as it usually has some interesting layouts and the trade area is often well worth a look even if you're not (officially) into larger scales (and Station Cat always does a good job at dragging me away from the goodies being displayed by Mr Loveless).

Archived