Spenford Halt 0 Gauge

spenc

Spenc

I have a part finished Westdale 122 and its not a patch on the Easy Build and will require a lot more work to get it to an acceptable standard. The main problem is the lack of underframe equipment which does not come with the kit. Photos of the underneath of DMU's are also hard to come by which is why I am stuck. Some years ago I did photo the underframes of both sides of a 105 which is just as well since I have one to build.

I suppose I shouldn't complain - the 122 only cost £20 and included the bogies. I think the original buyer got fed up with it and sold it!

Paul R

Hi Steve,

Love this chap i've got a soft spot for O gauge thou can't afford to do both oo & o so i've just a few wagons in the big scale at the minute.

The 33 looks great and you look to be progressing thru it fairly quickly, the track layout bridge and scenics looks cool two, happy building and i'll be dropping back in again to see were your at.

Cheers

Rich.

Hi Paul R

If you go onto easy build web site you can down load there instructions for 121/122 it will show you under floor details.You can give him a ring he might sort you the bits you need.

Steve

How much of that 15ft is fiddle yard please? You've got more or less the same sort of space that I have to play with but I'm really struggling - probably trying to fit far more in than is practical, so your progress is of interest to me.

Hi Cromptonnut

Theres 9ft of scenic & two 3ft fiddle yards as i am only having 121DMu & two car 108 DMU & 33/31/08 with 4 or 5 wagons loads so should fit fiddle yard station end will be cassetes.hope this helps when i first put my track down i didnot thing i had alot of room but after a few days moving it about it looked ok best of luck you will get it looking right.

Steve

Hi Paul R

If you go onto easy build web site you can down load there instructions for 121/122 it will show you under floor details.You can give him a ring he might sort you the bits you need.

Steve

Thanks for the tip Steve

• RMweb Gold

as i am only having 121DMu & two car 108 DMU & 33/31/08 with 4 or 5 wagons loads

Sounds great to me...I think that it what appeals to me about 7mm scale...having a simple layout and small amount of rolling stock = many hours of enjoyment.

Hi Bcnpete

I agree with simple layout plan and small amount of stock i have seen some great small layouts in 7mm.When i had 00 i had more stock than i needed so going 7mm will stop me buying to much.

Steve

Good work Steve :sungum:

Slow down mate you are putting me to shame :yes:

Its amazing how a little bit of scenery transforms a layout, Just out of interest what ballast will you be using?

Keep up the good work,

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Hi Darren NSE DAZ

Sorry but once i get started i just keep going & i do a bit on the layout while i am waiting for that to dry i do a bit on the DMU so i am not waiting around plus the living room is model room, I keep getting little remarks can i have me living room back :nono: When i was doing oo i used jarvis or peco fine grade that was ok so if i can get large bags i will use their oo gauge ballast.Could i be loaning out my layout for you to run your 50 & thumper unit to run on :sungum: .

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Good progress on the layout Steve.

At least modelling in 0 gauge focuses the mind (and wallet) on only buying what will fit into the available space!

There is a tendency to fill the space on 00 and smaller - not the case with 0 gauge and I think that this is one reason why it can be so appealling!

I would like to get the Dapol 08 myself when this comes out (as will many people I think), which will create an up-surge in small 0 gauge layouts!

Good to see another Devonian layout coming along! Of course I am biased though!

Are you planning to exhibit in the future?

Hi mudmagnet

Sorry its been a few days replying back to you been busy sorting out a job as i was made redundent 4 weeks ago start new job monday.Thanks for your comment and yes it will be going to Exhibitions.Its booked for our show on 28th July at bridport as work in progress.My 00 layout was booked for it but not got it now.Yard Shunter will be there too cannot wait to see it again.Should be getting details of what layouts coming at the weekend so i will put them on the web.Done bit more to layout post pictures at weekend also changeing layout name to Newdev road comments on new name welcome

Steve

changeing layout name to Newdev road comments on new name welcome

Steve

Since you ask, I prefer the original name. The new one just sounds like a contrived and unrealistic name which devalues the effort that has gone into the layout.

Good luck with the new job!

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for your comment on name change you are right it don't sound realistic having slept on it i see what you mean.so its staying as it is.(thing it was one of those silly momments).Looking forward to monday funds starting to get low.

Thanks Steve

Hi Everyone

Done a bit more saturday put ballast down by time done it and glued it. It was late as all i got was a eye dropper to put glue on fine for 00 not 0.Got up this morning still not dry got friends coming round layout got to come down so theres me with a hair dryer it worked.Just got to say sorry to Darren NSE DAZ for the next lot of pictures i will slow down a bit now as i have got to wait for some more bits to come.

Steve

post-11944-0-99321400-1339964455_thumb.jpg

post-11944-0-96851900-1339964525_thumb.jpg

post-11944-0-35955100-1339964607_thumb.jpg

post-11944-0-50560800-1339964737_thumb.jpg

Can I ask, in this scale do you plan to add the ballast that's built up to a triangular shape for drainage. I would think it will be noticible in this scale (strangely I've saw lots without it) and depending on lighting it would cast a significant shadow to add to the realism. I wonder why I've not seen it modelled more.

Best regards,

Mark

Steve stop this now :nono: you must be working all day and night on this project, glad you are waiting for more bits and bobs in the post as you would have finished the build by mid week :senile:

What ballast did you use in the end, it looks very good :sungum:

Still I had better crack on with Shaftesbury or you would have changed build and scale before more ballast has been laid :yes:

Keep up the good work and updates,

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

I like this a lot - simple sometimes is best.

Can you tell me who's products you've used for the platform supports and capping stones ? Seeing your efforts triggered me into thinking about needing something similar for my OO layout.

Thanks.

Hi bcnPete

Yes it looks differant with ballast down start putting grass down soon.Thanks for your comment.

Hi Darren NSEDAZ

I will slow down for a day or two.The ballast i used was Javis Ballast chippings std extra fine (REF JXGST)Used 7 bags cost £7.Funny you say that about building next layout i was thinking of extending mine to Shaftesbury to give you a hand

Hi wirey33

Thanks for your comment the platform edge is from skytec 7mm. I don't know if they do it in 4mm but Peco do it in 4mm

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Update nothing done on layout.The 121DMU has now got primer on it shall put first coat of grey on saturday.Thats about it at the

momment.Heres some pictures.

Steve.

post-11944-0-98324400-1341003974_thumb.jpg

post-11944-0-02857200-1341004048_thumb.jpg

post-11944-0-53627800-1341004136_thumb.jpg

post-11944-0-93490000-1341004204_thumb.jpg

Archived