Falmouth - Newquay...not just a bus service...?

Jack00

Heard on the Radio News yesterday that CCC are putting in plans/planning of a Branch-line between Falmouth and Newquay...?

anyone else hear the same...? if its the case what a brilliant idea, a lengthy line serving tourists between 2 great locations for beaches / holiday resorts etc.

I'd bash the DMU's on the line for sure!!

Jack.

Just been on the phone to my Aunt in Newquay and she has also heard of this. She does not know if they are planning to re-instate part of an old route, or just run a through service on the existing lines (would take ages though)

Ed

This idea has been circulating for a while. I think it will only be viable if the Parkandillack - St Dennis Junction line is reinstated, and a new chord built at Burngullow to allow trains to run directly onto the branch from the west. Running via Par is probably going to give a Falmouth - Newquay journey time of more than one-and-a-half hours, which isn't going to compete with road, even on Summer Saturdays. Then you have the problem of lack of passing loops on the Newquay line (so probably have to reinstate a platform at Newquay), and the impact on the reliabilty of the half-hourly service pattern on the Falmouth line, which works when it is self-contained but would be vulnerable to delays spreading from up the line. And if all this was overcome, there still wouldn't be a space on the train for surfboards.

Archived