LNER J63 - GP Models Kit

Rob Pulham

Buoyed up by the success of the tram engine and as a treat to myself for getting the A3 valve gear running (and while I pluck up the courage to take it apart againrolleyes.png) I decided I needed another "quick'ish" win so I got out my GP Models J63 Tank engine kit. This is a complete kit which comes with wheels, Motor and gear box. It is also all etched in nickel silver.

Some time ago when I first mentioned that I fancied one Mike Cole very kindly sent me a lot of additional information which I re-read before starting.

This is where I have got to so far in 3 evenings work - all is still held together by the slot and tabs with just a couple of the frame spacers soldered at one side.

CharlesRoberts005.jpg

J63Build001.jpg

J63Build002.jpg

J63Build003.jpg

Buoyed up by the success of the tram engine and as a treat to myself for getting the A3 valve gear running (and while I pluck up the courage to take it apart againrolleyes.png) I decided I needed another "quick'ish" win....

Why the rush? Dikitriki has written that he favours a prolonged running-in term, something like 10 years has been mooted.

Progress has been made. The chassis now has it cylinders and sandboxes. The springs have had their outlayers attached so they now have quite a bit of beef about them.

J63Buildspring.jpg

J63Build001-1.jpg

J63Build003-1.jpg

I also assembled and cut the coupling rods to make them move with the compensation.

J63Build004.jpg

J63Build006.jpg

The most fiddly bit of all which Mike does mention in his guild review is the soldering together of the 8 tiny pieces that make up each cross head.

What I did find once I had got over this bit was that although the instructions referred to 1.5x1mm nickel for the slide bars and 2mm brass rod for the piston rods there was no rod at all included with my kit.

An email to Garth had me the rod for the slide bars by return of post - very comendable service. I had some 2mm nickel rod in stock so I elected to use that for the piston rods.

Mike had supplied me with an annotated copy of the instrurctions in with the other information that he sent so I didn't have to workout how long the piston rods were supposed to be (25mm).

What I struggled with at this point was how to get a 2mm piston rod through the 1mm hole that is etched in the cross head. I consulted Mike who recalled gently opening his out with a rat tailed file. I had a go at this but when I had started to split one of the end plates I chickened out. Instead I put one of the 2mm nickel rods in my dremmel and applied a file to turn it down. This required each one to have a different turned spiggot, one at 1mm and one a bit bigger to suit the hole that I had enlarged.

J63Build005.jpg

That's where I got to last night and I was waiting for the bar for the slide bars which arrived today, so hopefully tomorrow I can get the slidebars cut to length and put it all together.

I have also opened up the holes in the chassis for the supplied plunger pickup (slaters) and soldered the tabs and wire so that Once get the motion sorted I should be in a position to try it running.

• RMweb Gold

Looking very nice, but I suggest using a jewllers broach to open up a hole rather than the file. I have two sets 0.2-2mm and 2mm-6mm wouldn't be without them.

Don

Looking very nice, but I suggest using a jewllers broach to open up a hole rather than the file. I have two sets 0.2-2mm and 2mm-6mm wouldn't be without them.

Don

Hi Don,

Sorry I wasn't clear in my description above, I did use a broach. The file was what had been suggested as the method used by a friend who built one. - Like you I have a couple of sets and wouldn't be without out them.

Thanks for posting the suggestion though as it may help others who view the topic. All contributions are gratefully received.

A great part of the enjoyment comes from there being so many ways to do things, differing skill sets and access to varieties of equipment within our hobby. I really like reading about them, even if for some reason they don't suit the job in hand they can be stored up for the future.

Further progress on the J63 I have managed to get the motion all sorted and running.

J63Build003-2.jpg

J63Build004-1.jpg

J63Build005-1.jpg

The brake shoes in this kit are very clever in the way that they are jigged to fit together. There 3 layers that you fit on top of each other while still in their outer etched frames. Apologies here for the poor photo's but hopefully they will illustrate the clever design

J63Build031.jpg

Once they are all lined up clamp and solder them, then cut them out clean up the tags and on with the next.

J63Build032.jpg

Here are a couple of videos of it in action

http://youtu.be/8ixZSopiJyg

http://youtu.be/85SP246bg6g

I forgot to ask are you using phospher bronze bearings or is it just the photos making them look like it?

Hi Peter, yes they are the only things that I have changed on the kit. The bearings that came with it were a bit flimsy so I used the bronze ones that came with the tram engine (I used roller bearings on that) and a couple from one of the Connoisseur starter loco's that I also intend to put roller bearings in as they were a bit more substantial.

How did you not flood the crossheads with solder? Tricky work on the piston rods too! Between this and the HR loco it's enough to put anyone off any visible valve gear. :)

How did you not flood the crossheads with solder? Tricky work on the piston rods too! Between this and the HR loco it's enough to put anyone off any visible valve gear. :)

Hi Dave,

Easier than you might think to be honest. The cross heads are made up from 8 separate parts some of which are layers but the others like the rest of the kit have very good slots/tabs so I just touched the tabs with solder and then twisted them off and tidied them up with a file.

To be honest I would have much preferred a casting but fiddly or not they do make up into something that looks the part and does the job.

The trickiest bit off all has been getting the clearances so that the con rod doesn't hit the crank pin on the front axle. The instructions suggest bending the con rod at an angle but I have managed to get away without having to do this. I feel that as we always tend to view from above/side that this would have been very visible, so for me it really would have had to be a last resort.

Despite being distracted this last week by putting together some Skytrex buildings for my layout ,I have made progress on the J63. The chassis still needs some of the detailing finishing off - brakes etc. but I have made a start on the footplate and upperworks.

J63Build001-2.jpg

What can be seen from the picture below and later ones is that the wooden infill of the buffer beam is represented by a fold up box and some spacers/parts to hold them in place.

What I discovered when I got to this bit was never throw anything away during the build even if it just looks like a part numbering tag! Some of the parts for this I had discarded (fortunately I hadn't emptied the bin!) when removing other bits from the etch they had come off and being quite small didn't look at all like a usable part.....

J63Build002-2.jpg

J63Build003-3.jpg

J63Build004-2.jpg

J63Build006-2.jpg

J63Build007.jpg

J63Build008.jpg

J63Build009.jpg

The build is very much made up of half etched overlays and has lots of slots and tabs to enable construction. I elected to cut some of these off and rely on clamps to hold some parts together to get what I viewed was a better fit.

I often find with the tabs between the body and th footplate, you end up with small holes in the join that look ugly or are the devil to fill. They are not always needed and there are often far to many.

More progress was made yesterday, happily fuelled by Mike suggesting that it might be complete for Halifax. For me there is nothing like a deadline to spur me on.

The body is not yet fastened to the foot plate and I am learning all the while. If I ever build another (and I quite fancy converting one to the earlier Pollitt saddle tank versions at some point using most of this kit as the basis) I will not cut any thing off the etches in the way of cleaning them up before fitting - There are a number of the tabs which hold the parts in the etch which actually help to locate something else down the line. Cutting them off hasn't been a problem but it would have saved fiddling with clamps etc.

J63Build001-3.jpg

J63Build002-3.jpg

J63Build003-4.jpg

J63Build004-3.jpg

I also took the time out of sequence to put the bars over the rear windows while they were still in the etched frame.

J63Build005-3.jpg

The cab rear is also made up from 2 layers so I had to make the back ver smooth so that it will sit in place when I get to attaching it to the rear plate.

J63Build006-3.jpg

I often find with the tabs between the body and th footplate, you end up with small holes in the join that look ugly or are the devil to fill. They are not always needed and there are often far to many.

Hi Peter, that would be my only small criticism of this kit. In places it is over engineered with far too many tabs/slots sometimes making it very difficult to fit parts unless you remove some of them.

Those of you who have built one of the MOK kits will recognise the similarity of the next bits.

J63Build001-4.jpg

J63Build002-4.jpg

J63Build003-5.jpg

At this point I had to start chopping tabs off - imagine trying to fit tabs that are all around a squared of U shape.

J63Build004-4.jpg

J63Build006-4.jpg

J63Build007-1.jpg

J63Build008-1.jpg

By now I was battling slotting that many tabs into slots that I decided that I would solder it all up - this is just to give you an idea of how many slots/tabs there are at this point....

J63Build010.jpg

Only one of the 7 J63's was fitted with the supplied lever reverser, all the rest having a screw type. I have been looking in the kit pile/spares box for something suitable. The 2 white metal ones were in my Gladiator B2 kit and the brass one was in the spares box. The white metal ones are more suitable so I will work out which fits the B2 best and use the other for the J63.

J63Build005-4.jpg

Really grateful to you for this as I have one of these to build (eventually) and you are teasing out all the 'issues' for me. Must admit, had no idea about the screw reversers.

Does the boiler really need that wellington bomber look alike framing, It is a tube a fairly strong structure in itself?

Hi Peter,

You are not the first to make the same comment. No it doesn't to be honest and the instructions even refer to the test builder only using the circular formers. As I plan to scratch build the condensing pipes later in the build I thought I would stick as near as I could to the build as provided before deviating. I was also curious as to how easy it was to put together and get square etc. which proved very easy. What I would add it that with the skeleton it does become a very sturdy structure.

Really grateful to you for this as I have one of these to build (eventually) and you are teasing out all the 'issues' for me. Must admit, had no idea about the screw reversers.

Hi Poggy, I think that you should enjoy it, I have.

I am quite tempted when funds allow to get another kit and have a go at back dating it to the earlier Pollitt Saddle tank version.

Archived