7mm Class 31 comparison pictures

brian daniels

Managed to get a Heljan pre-production 31 next to an MMP, RJH and a DJH one last week. Shame we did not have a Skytrex one as well.

Well what do you think? I know what one I like.

I do not know who built the MMP and RJH one but the DJH one is my build. I have never built a MMP 31 so can't coment on the kit. I have built the RJH 31 a while ago and converted it to a skinhead as I did not like the headcode box, picture at the bottom.

post-6766-0-10578600-1335196520.jpg

post-6766-0-32886800-1335196526.jpg

post-6766-0-99836400-1335196533.jpg

post-6766-0-80703300-1335196540.jpg

post-6766-0-30096700-1335196548.jpg

post-6766-0-92957100-1335196551.jpg

post-6766-0-72729700-1335196556.jpg

post-6766-0-86130300-1335196516.jpg

post-6766-0-71717900-1335196937.jpg

I think I prefer the DJH one, it looks the most Goyle-like to me on first impression. Second place is between the Heljan and the MMP, though there's something going on with the front end of the MMP one that doesn't quite do it for me.

I think the Heljan 31 looks very good. With weathering, I think I'd say it was the best. Certainly value for money, it's a clear winner in my book.

Brian, on the MMP, is the roof detail reversed between the exhausts and fan?

Nice comparison there Brian.... I think the full yellow ends on the HJ could do with a tiny bit of weathering, and blackening the front window openings might help too. I saw your Golden Ochre machine in Howes last Friday and now I've seen it in the flesh I'm rather partial to it. I really fancy doing a pre-Tops blue OC one, especially now that Dapol are going to do a r-t-r 08 to go with it ;) .

Dare I ask... do you think HJ will do a skinhead version if this one sells enough...? (I'm thinking of Old Oak's 5535 and 5539 here!)

Intriguingly, the DJH model has the same (fatal to my eyes) error as the Hornby OO body shell: the cab side windows insufficiently recessed above the lower cab sides. Is there a bad drawing out there?

As for which is the best, difficult. It's like a family with four daughters, none of which is quite the equal of their mother's perfection. The Heljan looks the least compromised to me, the heavy 'brow' of the roofline overhang overdone on both the RJH and MMP quite seriously affecting the appearance. Hope Heljan decide to downscale this model to OO...

Maybe with a sharp knife you could do it but I would think it would be a hell of an undertaking.

As to whether Heljan would do a skinhead, who knows. If it sells like hot cakes do they do another run of the same or spend money changing it? Am trying to persuade them to do a 37 with 4 charecter headcode at the moment so skinheads will be a while off if at all.

With regards to the engine room roof on the MMP model being on the wrong way round, it is removeable to get at the DCC chip and has been put back on the wrong way round. The owner has been reprimanded!

That clears that up then! At least it is an easy fix. :)

Fantastic job there Trevor. I keep banging on about these to Heljan :mail: Hopefully we can wear them down.

Thanks Brian. We certainly need another run of cl37's from Heljan and I'm sure changing to a centre headcode version would gaurantee them as many sales as the split box did.

That look excellent, have you got any pictures of the conversion?

Sorry no pictures, just a case of taking a large file to it, then rebuilding it with plenty of plasticard and filler until happy with appearance. After market parts would be nice, but I guess their probably isn't enough HJ cl37's out there to make it viable.

We really need Heljan to produce the c/h version, hopefully they'll succumb eventually.

Trevor.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived