Lower returns at Margate

mow

• RMweb Premium

While I still think that "design clever" is just a marketing gimmic that was ill advised, I do now wonder if this could be the fist part of a transition back to UK. More moulded detail=less hand assembly=less manpower. Could it be that newer models are being set up for return. It certainly brings supply chain under control, where Hornby have definitely lost it over last 5 years. No point having low cost manufacturing if it doesn't reach the shops !

More moulded detail=less hand assembly=less manpower.

True. It addresses increasing Chinese labour costs which, while increasing, remain far behind UK labour costs.

Let's remember that the new quick build Airfix kits are essentially the same as a Lego set, but with more custom bricks. No assembly, no painting - just put the right bricks in the box. Perhaps they will introduce quick build O scale trains like the gems here.

Could it be that newer models are being set up for return. It certainly brings supply chain under control

While UK manufacturing might improve supply chain issues, don't hold your breath for UK railway manufacturing to resume.

I'm more hopeful about the comment to 'listen to enthusiasts'. That might be the best news I've heard today.

I would love to know which factories where are are producing anticipated models, and what are the details of the subcontractors involved.  So what if it is in China or India.   Are such details 'commercially sensitive'?

Rob

I would love to know which factories where are are producing anticipated models, and what are the details of the subcontractors involved.

Yes, it would be nice to know, but it's really none of our business.

From the handful of data points we have, we do know that the new supplier will produce most of the model railway items moving forward with increased production starting in April (essentially now). They appear to have had packaging issues with the 8-coupled tanks and at least one Hornby International Italian item and appear to have put the wrong bogies on the GWR suburban B set coaches. I'd say there are issues ramping up production.

Are such details 'commercially sensitive'?

Yes, I think. 

Knowing who is manufacturing what for whom might provide competitive information on pricing and lead times that help a competitor make decisions.

Insiders will know a lot more than we do.

• RMweb Premium

You do know.  It says made in China.  That is all that is legally required.

Or put another way, when you buy say a BMW Mini, do you expect to know whether the engine mounting bolts were made in the UK or Germany?  Where the facia was moulded? Who made the mirrors etc.

You do know.  It says made in China.  That is all that is legally required.

Or put another way, when you buy say a BMW Mini, do you expect to know whether the engine mounting bolts were made in the UK or Germany?  Where the facia was moulded? Who made the mirrors etc.

No. I don't expect to know who makes the boxes, master-dies, instruction sheets for a Hornby model, but if there are unexplained delays in the primary production line to the extent Hornby have suffered, I would like to know why the contract with the primary manufacturer couldn't be made, or was changed, or was breached, sufficiently to explain the delays.

The parts of a car are not in that sense comparable. Besides, to me, the Mini finished with the Clubman models of 1969. Give me a 1962 1071cc Cooper 'S' anytime, with close ratio box and 12G940 big-valve head ..252/252 cam and LCD exhaust, twin SUs are fine, I'll pick the Lucas advance springs....

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Final results for Hornby's financial year ending March 31, 2013 will be announced in about a month.

Hornby Plc, the international models and collectibles Group, will announce its full year results on Friday 7th June 2013.

I assume a statement will be published at that time with some expectations set for the coming year.

• RMweb Premium

Was quite surprised yesterday browsing WH Smiths in Glasgow came across a section devoted to Hornby and Airfix models. I wonder if this is another of their concessions? Certainly the Hornby bit was mainly Railroad stuff. A far cry from the days when I used to look at railways in John Menzies in Glasgow . Stocking the full range in "supermarket" environment whereas before models were usually behind the counter. I think it was around 1974. Anyway back to the present it looks like Hornby are achieving a High St presence as well as selling direct.

• RMweb Gold

Was quite surprised yesterday browsing WH Smiths in Glasgow came across a section devoted to Hornby and Airfix models. I wonder if this is another of their concessions? Certainly the Hornby bit was mainly Railroad stuff. A far cry from the days when I used to look at railways in John Menzies in Glasgow . Stocking the full range in "supermarket" environment whereas before models were usually behind the counter. I think it was around 1974. Anyway back to the present it looks like Hornby are achieving a High St presence as well as selling direct.

Possibly they're looking for an alternative to Modelzone (which would apparently be quite a good idea so I've heard as the latter are reputedly up to their ears in debt etc).

Archived