Unknown Location-Old Postcard

d600

• RMweb Gold

The lineside fencing is not GWR (already noted above as LNW of course) and the topography, especially the relative positions and heights of railway and river do not match anywhere between Reading and Didcot. The track spacing looks a bit odd suggesting to me that the line on the left is an 'additional' one added to an earlier formation - again this doesn't match the way quadrupling was done between Reading and Didcot where a second pair of running lines were added throughout.

...The track spacing looks a bit odd...

As if the centre lines go through one arch of the bridge and the left-most line goes through an arch added later?

Or as if it's spreading out for an island platform between the two left-most lines behind the camera?

Summing up what we've got so far:

4-track line

gentle countryside

quite a wide river (don't think it can be a canal)

slightly odd track spacing

LNW style fencing

Aye, I was on Google Earth, natch! The Trent and Mersey, however, IS a wide waterway in that vicinity, and it's pretty compelling - the problem is so much vegetation colonization has taken place in the intervening century (?) that it's hard to judge then & now very easily.

I reckon the water is wider than the T&M canal would be. Can't see any suitable bridges near Hixon.

To the OP: is there anything at all on the back of the postcard?

Hi the post card dosent have anythink on the back lots of suggestions coming in im lost :scratchhead: lol thanxs for all the posts.

cheers

Hi ive had a look at the card with a magnify glass it looks like 3 tracks and the one furthest on the right looks like a wall :dontknow: it also looks like the 2nd and 3rd track runs into a set of points just on the bend the track looks funny tho the rails seem higher than standered to me.

cheers

Hi ive had a look at the card with a magnify glass it looks like 3 tracks and the one furthest on the right looks like a wall :dontknow: it also looks like the 2nd and 3rd track runs into a set of points just on the bend the track looks funny tho the rails seem higher than standered to me.

cheers

I don't think it's a wall, as there's a lighter grey to its right, suggesting ballast, as well as it being at the bottom of what seems to be a shallow cutting. Any boundary would normally be at the top of a cutting or the bottom of an embankment- apart from anything else, it allowed the railway to manage their condition.

I thought it looked like three tracks rather than four.

Still, nothing that I can place the photo by. One really wonders why such a dull photograph would be published as a postcard.

Hi i dont think the postcard was published,in the 30's/40's you could buy postcard paper and have your photos put on to it,this is a real photo card and someone i know who collects postcards reckons its from the 40's.

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Low blue brick walls were a common feature at the bottom of cuttings on LNW lines that had been widened or where loops had been added.

That probably leaves us looking for a 2-track LNW line with a loop or slow line starting by a bend in a river just before a road bridge.

Rugeley, perhaps? The power station would be just to the left nowadays.

Assuming a look north, it could indeed match the LNWR main line at Rugeley. Possiby church tower matches town. The shot is repeated a bit clearer, purely to show it bettter after photoshop, I expect out of any copyright, and with respect to the original poster.

post-6750-0-26533800-1335464918_thumb.jpg

Archived