'DENPARTS' wagons- drawings?

A friend has asked if I can find drawings, or any other information, for the DENPARTS wagons used to take smaller components of diesels to and from main works from the 1960s until the residual traffic went over to air-braked vans in the mid-1980s. There seem to have been two variations; one based on a 10' underframe (often ex-LMS with J-hangers), the other on a longer underframe, which I believe was from a GW horse-box. The Barrowmere site only seems to cover revenue-earning stock- does anyone know of any other sources?

Thanks in advance.

Weren't there also some long-ish vans (LMS?), or am I thinking of something else?

There were some ex-LMS 6-wheel Fish vans, as modelled by Chiver's Finelines, also various Fruit Cs and D, Mink Gs and Siphons. I'm trying to get some approximate dimensions for these boxes; if worst comes to worst, it'll be down to guesstimates from PB's photos.

The Cheona book 'Railways in Profie Series No.8 - British Railway Engineer's Stock - 2' has photos of some Enparts vehicles:

SR BY 4-wheel passenger Brake Van DS14S to Diagram 3094.

GWR 10T Mink D DW198.

GWR Siphon G ADB975785 (ex W1310W) to Diag O62.

BR Mk1 BG ADB975613.

BR Mk1 BSO ADB975041 (ex W9264) with windows painted over.

GWR Horse Box ADW150199 (ex W263) with body replaced with flat floor and carrying wooden boxes (branded Denparts).

LMS P3 50ft BG ADB975562 (ex M30976) with gangways removed and marked "Denparts Sc.R."

No doubt there were others.

The ex LMS 6-wheel Fish Vans mentioned by Fat Controller were designated as 'Cell Truck' for carrying batteries around the LMR from Wolverton and replaced older ex LNWR CCTs in the 1960s/70s but I don't think they were ever branded as Enparts.

Vehicle dimensions would be as the original design with only minor modifications (except the decapitated Horse Box) and re-branding.

It's the type with the three or four wooden boxes fixed to the floor that I'm looking for- the 10' wb ones had three boxes, which all seem to have been the same size, whilst the ex-horse boxes had two smaller boxes at the outer ends, and larger ones in the middle.

The ex-LMS six-wheel Fish vans are the post-WW2 sort with solid sides, as modelled by Chivers- the ones I remember seeing (on the daily Toton-Derby-Crewe trip in the late 1970s/early 1980s) were in olive green, and labelled 'Stores Van'. I think the Cell Trucks were a slightly earlier type, with some ventilation via slots between the planks.

It's the type with the three or four wooden boxes fixed to the floor that I'm looking for- the 10' wb ones had three boxes, which all seem to have been the same size, whilst the ex-horse boxes had two smaller boxes at the outer ends, and larger ones in the middle.

The ex-LMS six-wheel Fish vans are the post-WW2 sort with solid sides, as modelled by Chivers- the ones I remember seeing (on the daily Toton-Derby-Crewe trip in the late 1970s/early 1980s) were in olive green, and labelled 'Stores Van'. I think the Cell Trucks were a slightly earlier type, with some ventilation via slots between the planks.

You are probably right about the Stores Vans. I will have to look out my old piccies some time. I suppose the Cell Trucks could have been old Milk/Fruit vans.

You are probably right about the Stores Vans. I will have to look out my old piccies some time. I suppose the Cell Trucks could have been old Milk/Fruit vans.

We seem to have drifted way off topic into Enpart vans, very varied but seems to have been a (G)WR affectation, with other railways/regions using stores vans http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsfish

Enparts http://paulbartlett....lio.com/enparts

BR had some standard vans as CELL TRUCK. http://paulbartlett....olio.com/976xxx Not very good I'm afraid

Regards

Paul Bartlett

The wagons the OP is enquiring about were used to transfer DMU engines and gear boxes between the various DMU depots and the works that overhauled these items (Swindon, Derby Loco and Glasgow?). The engines where stowed in the larger or outer box and gearboxes in the centre or small boxes.

Al Taylor

Archived