I thought that the figures on our layouts deserved a thread of their own. Some of Mikkel's have a back story as well, so post your favourite figures in any scale, along with any back story they may have.

Here is mine to start-

post-9516-0-75565500-1336044480.jpg

Mr Spencer, the bank manager, who having visited the Gents (hopefully not the ones in Stubby's diorama!) has sat down only to realise he is flying low, or who particularly enjoys thinking of his annual bonus!

I've been messing around with a few Dapol (ex-Airfix) workmen lately.

Here's Flagman;

post-6749-0-40851800-1336045188_thumb.jpg

And a shunter, holding a pole in his left hand;

post-6749-0-82656000-1336045200_thumb.jpg

Shunter has had his right arm, which was up in the air in a 'come on' pose, surgically removed and replaced with an arm from another figure. I'm not sure that it sits well with his pose, the right shoulder is raised. Still, worth a try.

Painting faces is my shortcoming I'm afraid!

• RMweb Gold

Nicely done Paul & DD118. I always end up with 'lumpen & globular' looking painting!

I wonder if the technology now exists to produce figures from photos by the 3D printing process. That would be something. We had some lovely fancy brickwork for the viaduct done in it and the result is crisp & superb.

A couple of figures, one done in the early '80s (I think) and the other a couple of years ago, both for my Welsh n.g. project.

post-1877-0-42562500-1498939942.jpg

On the left is Richard Stevens, an insurance salesman in normal life, but a volunteer guard on the GLR during the Summer (1972, as it happens). The other figure is Hugh Farqhuarson, who was a driver on the old GLR in pre-war days, modelled as he was in 1936 when he was driving the short-lived Bedford WHB railbus. Both Airfix (the driver ex-military) and both will be matt varnished one day!

This is Mr Evans, a second generation coal man at Squeezebelly lane. Like many men in menial jobs he dreams of better things and spends several evenings a week at classes in the mechanics institute or studying etymology in the library.

post-9516-0-78714700-1336056736.jpg

Pin for scale!

I wonder if the technology now exists to produce figures from photos by the 3D printing process.

That could be fun, putting all your friends [or even yourself] scattered about on the layout, with

prizes for those that found themselves.

If not, would that mean you might have to laser scan them!

Cheers, Jeff

That is a fantastic idea, anyone want to pass it on to shape ways? Re6/6 that could be a winner for the innovation challenge.

You would have to be produced in sketch up. I can't see it working in 2mm but I suspect it's ok in larger scales.

Mr Farquharson definitely has a touch of the Blakey about him!

• RMweb Premium

Here are four OO scale track and field athletes, dug out from my accessories box tonight, three of whom wear the colours of 1980s Shaftesbury (Barnet) Harriers - one of my schoolmates (first from the left) ended up competing with them, they were modelled about 20 years ago for a project that was subsequently abandoned.

post-850-0-61506000-1336249964_thumb.jpg

Great stuff! I will allow your favourite cameo scenes as well provided they were painted by yourself.

RE6/6 if you want a how to on my methods I will put one up. Mr Spencer took about 30 mins start to finish, the less detailed ones about 20 mins.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple of photos of some of the little people on my layouts, both of these photos appeared on their respective layout threads.

'Tommy Mowman' and Pip having just crossed over the railway near Greyscroft.

Full description Here.

post-7104-0-10504600-1338798965.jpg

Bait time at Felton Lane.

post-7104-0-68090100-1338799051.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is the result of todays eye strain.

This is one of the as yet un named shunters on SBL, throwing the yard levers. These are Taylor Precision Models ones, the figure is a gem track worker with his hammer removed.

post-9516-0-07311700-1341849586.jpg

This is Ted, the general manager at L.H. Coulthard and Sons haulage, casting an eye over the traffic in the yard on his way home, with his rolled up umbrella handy as it is the British summer...

post-9516-0-77344300-1341849658.jpg

Teds face was a bit swollen and mis moulded but like all Langley models he had well sculpted clothes.

• 2 months later...

Archived