Trials with Peco Code 83 & Marcway/SMP

The Peco Streamline HO 83 Line track system looks interesting to me for various reasons but in particular because of the sweeping large radius point. I wondered if anyone had incorporated this track into their British outline layouts?

• RMweb Premium

from what I recall the sleeper spacing is close than peco code 75 & 100 to match the US prototype so it may look a bit odd mixed with other track.

• RMweb Gold

As said before the sleeper spacing is tighter than Pecos british track so even more likely to call attention, plus there are spikes rather than chairs holding the rail.

Here's the link to all the plans on PECOs site

http://www.peco-uk.com/page.asp?id=c83

and the large radius tunouts

http://www.peco-uk.com/imageselector/Files/Track-templates/c83/SL-8381%20&%20SL-8382.pdf

83-line should not look right, and I have only used it on it's own, but it does look OK, and the metal check rails are much nicer than the plastic ones used on the 75/100. It is much more fragile though, easy to dislodge the check rails when cleaning.

Thanks PaulRhB for the link. This has been massively helpful.

Comparisons shown below are between Peco Code 83 American (drawings) and Peco code 75 (models).

The first shows track crossing an adjacent track. It is not possible attaching the largest Code 83 point to the diamond due to different geometry (the tracks will not run parallel), and so the middle radius point is shown with the diamond crossing. Overlaid are a large radius Code 75 point and diamond and then the pair are shown side by side...

post-6680-0-28620600-1336386660.jpgpost-6680-0-41229100-1336386663.jpg

Below is a comparison between a Code 75 large radius point and the Code 84 large radius point...

post-6680-0-83664900-1336386666.jpg

The Code 75 and Code 83 curved points appear to use similar radius but the geometry is different as seen by overlaying a 75 on top of the 83 drawing....

post-6680-0-56507600-1336386668.jpg

I have a Peco code 75 crossing on my layout and the rest of the track is Peco code 83, I didn't do anything about the rail height and to be honest it hasn't been a problem.

We have c83 on the scenic bits and c75 in staging and similarly no problems using them together.

Hi Larry,

I too, have never had a problem mixing the two systems - the height difference is nominally just 8 thousandths of an inch!

What is really handy is that code 83 fish-plates are an excellent fit to code 75 rail!

Cheers,

John E.

That will be because they are the same fishplates...! just a different coloured packet .... :scratchhead:

Regards Trevor .. :sungum:

post-6680-0-20006200-1337781652.jpg

The Peco Code 83 largest radius point arived today. Very impressive it is too. Shown below beside the British large radius point....

post-6680-0-70407700-1337781656.jpg

A Hornby Fowler 2-6-4T was used to show the deflection of the pony truck. Below on the Code 75 large radius point and below that on the Code 83 point....

post-6680-0-38695800-1337781658.jpgpost-6680-0-34171400-1337781662.jpg

The angle at the 'V' is shallower than on the English counterpart and so there is less deflection as stock passes over the USA Code 83 point.

The difference in rail height between Code 75 and 83 is shown below. It looks bad but coaches passed over the joint smoothly enough. If I adopt Code 83 I'll also buy Code 83 track as well.

post-6680-0-41517600-1337783932.jpg

Decision time over the coming weeks as to what to do. Whatever I choose will involve buying new points (the old ones are untrustworthy now).

• RMweb Gold

Larry, I agree with you that the code 83 crossing angle is shallower & therefore gives less deflection, BUT - those sleepers! We grumble about the code 75 sleepers being narrow & closely spaced, but the code 83 version is far worse in my view.

As an alternative to consider, have you looked at Tillig? Some others on the site have used it, the specification looks good and there are some self-assemble kits at lower cost. Available from International Models

Larry, I agree with you that the code 83 crossing angle is shallower & therefore gives less deflection, BUT - those sleepers! We grumble about the code 75 sleepers being narrow & closely spaced, but the code 83 version is far worse in my view.

As an alternative to consider, have you looked at Tillig? Some others on the site have used it, the specification looks good and there are some self-assemble kits at lower cost. Available from International Models

It looks really beautiful track but I did find it to be rather "delicate"!

Also the connection between tie bar and point blades is particularly vulnerable.

See here for some pictures of the Tillig: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3363-flixborough-exchange-sidings-withdrawn/

Despite my earlier enthusiasm for Tillig (& disdain for Peco track!), I have now returned to using the Devon product for my H0 modelling efforts!

HTH,

John E.

You mean the switchblades off the Code 75 track? They can't have as the code 83 rail is deeper.

I was more suggesting they may have used the same tooling jigs tbh, they just seem to be the same length from the photos making it look like quite a sharp loose heel pair of switches with a higher crossing angle.

The photo below shows the Peco Code 83 large radius point beside a Marcway 72ins radius point. Both are very nearly the same length as can be seen. Irrelavent information is the Peco has 56 sleepers against the Marcways 33. The latter is of soldered construction using Code 75 bullhead section rail and is sprayed black. Decisions... decisions....post-6680-0-96162100-1338033419.jpg

Well, in my opinion Coachman, the Marcway looks like a British point and is much finer than the nearest Peco UK point. No contest in my mind. The code 83 (it really does look good though, apart from the blades) looks, well, American - it wouldn't do for me.

John

• 3 weeks later...

A Code 83 diamond (Insulfrog) and Code 83 No.6 point (Electrofrog) arrived today so I carried out a few experiments after wiring up some track to a DC Gaugemaster controller with brake control. Below are comparison shots between the longer code 83 diamond and Code 75 diamond attached to a 60 inch radius point...

post-6680-0-61483600-1339863880.jpgpost-6680-0-04969400-1339863882.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It is oft repeated that todays track is okay with rtr wheelsets unless one has deep flanges as on Lima wheels. Good, that doesn't apply to my locos then................Or so I thought.

After setting up some track with a Peco HO Code 83 point and Diamond crossing, I began testing all my locos for stalling on the Insulfrog diamond. Every Bachmann and Hornby loco performed faultlessly until it came to the LMS 'Crab' 2-6-0. This loco didn't like the point let alone the diamond! I checked the driving wheel back-to-back but the loco continued to buck its way over the frog.

When the point was held at eye-level and the loco pushed over the frog, the wheels visibly climbed above rail height. It was at this point (no pun intended) that I realised my two Bachmann 'Crab' locos have wheels with deeper flanges than are usually found on todays locos. What was happening was a plastic web between the code 83 frog was lifting the flange.

The picture below shows the brown raised plastic 'web', which presumably supports modern finescale flanges through the frog....

post-6680-0-86256200-1340806222.jpg

A 'Crab' wheel before it reaches the frog....

post-6680-0-63520800-1340806250.jpg

....And showing it lifted by the 'web' above rail level at the frog.....

post-6680-0-89581100-1340806251.jpg

This shot shows the difference between an up-to-date Bachmann flange and that on a 'Crab'....

post-6680-0-20796900-1340806253.jpg

I have learned today that the 'Crab' currently available has finer flanges.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am currently getting a run time error when accessing Marcway's site. I wondered if anyone knows the radius of the Marcway 4mm/00 single slip please and could post an image of one on their layout?

IIRC, they produce more than one single slip as a "standard" model and, for very little more, will make to any size/radius you require.

Archived