34006 Bude

Tim Hale

As Graham has an interest in the exchange trials, maybe he can answer this question:

After the trials, when did Bude re-acquire its tender? How long did Bude wear the Malachite livery with BR lettering and was the loss of the smoke box roundel contemporary with the change to BR green? Hopefully there is a photo of Bude in this condition although I have yet to locate it.

Finally, when did Bude's tender loose its raves?

Thank you

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Tim

Bude was re-attached to its 4500 gallon tender immediately after it returned from Scotland (I have the date somewhere at home and will edit this thread later to advise).

She retained Malachite green until July 1950, and the tender retained its raves until cut down in July 1961.

Without checking I do not know when the SR roundel was removed but she certainly wore it still for the exchange trials themselves despite the fact that she was renumbered 35006 for the trial.

• RMweb Gold

opps slight mistake the trouble with answering questions from memory whilst at work. Bude of course did not run in the trials in Scotland as that was 34004 Yeovil. Bude ran on the Marylebone to Nottingham and Bristo to Plymouth runs the last of which was July 21st.

According to Bradley: "Similarly, the front numerals continued to be carried oto the casing until june 1948 when the smokebox door numberplates came into use and the large circular plate were removed". He also confirms the repaint date into Brunswick of July 1950.

• RMweb Gold

Graham,

Many thanks. My Bude is paired with the Southern tender albeit with British Railway script, a very attractive combination and something of a celebrity.

Tim

I renamed mine 34004 Yeovil and likewise paired her with a 4500 gallon tender and you say very nice she looks too.

post-243-0-90274100-1336517597_thumb.jpg

But as Bude did run on Southern metals beween the GC trials in June and GW trials in July and retained the tender between I have also added her to my collection too.

post-243-0-03508000-1336517719_thumb.jpg

Guest Belgian

Curiosly, Tim, Bood lost the 'British Railways' script on the tender around about the time it lost the roundel (some time in 1949) and then ran with smokebox numberplate and no writing or emblem on the tender. It certainly had its own tender back by 14th August 1948 as it was photographed at Brighton that day together with Barnstaple, both with the tenders reattached with 'British Railways' spelt out and the roundels still on the smokebox doors.

JE

Many thanks,

Please fill in some of the background on why Yeovil had long deflectors, were Bude and Yeovil the only locos with these?

I thought, that the early LP's did not have the modified cab, that is a revelation and Yeovil would be a popular choice, given my location.

Tim

BTW, the next project is Malaga to replicate the Royal Train that visited Sherborne in 50 something.....

• RMweb Gold

5 6 and 6, Yeovil, Barnstaple and Bude were choosen for the Exchange trials and all three gained the modified cab and the extended deflectors at this time as part of the ongoing quest to improve forward visibility. As it happens the extended deflectors made little significant difference (certainly not as much as going from the original short deflectors to the standard length ones did) and so no other members of the class received them.

All members of the class up to 21C163 (as from then they were built with wedge shaped cabs from new, and from 34071 were 9ft wide) eventually received the modified cabs that were first fitted to some in August 1947 but it took until March 1955 to complete the task and it is true that other than 4,5,and 6 the first 25 or so didnt receive the modifcation until towardd the end of the programme.

IIRC 34015 Exmouth. Painted in BR green in Jan 1950, and she retained her original cab until Feb 1957.

Also, I believe 34019 Bideford retained her original cab until Jan 1956 too.

• RMweb Gold

Here is BUDE in its latter days.

I sitll need to modeify the roof fittings inlcuding the chimney area.

The ashpans are Albert Goodhall whitemetal omes and the drin off pipes at the front are scratchbuilt. On more recent nurebuilts, I have used the RT Models etch.

post-1557-0-86971300-1336934631_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bibby line gained its extra long deflectors for the locomotive exchanges which it was kept as a standby but not used on the other regions.

Strangely the other MN's on the exchanges did not gain extra long deflectors.

None - drivers complained about impaired view forward, but they were retained until rebuilding on Bibby Line.

Archived