Manchester Show - 2nd-3rd October 2010 - UPDATED

Andy C

Its nice to see the second layout (Kinmundy) that I have made for Martin is at the show. I just wish I could get one of my own layouts there. Have been trying for a while. Andy how about GTD. Good luck with the show. Martin, have you decied on the signals yet?

Peter

I'll be there with SRC's New Haden - now where did I put that box of mineral wagons....

By the way, New Haden is still EM; we've not converted it to 00 :P

Cheers,

Mark

It was EM gauge last night so I think its safe to bring EM stock

Latest Update:

We are pleased to announce that this year the show will be opened by Steve Davis, Director of the National Raiway Museum. Steve has visited the MMRS on a couple of occasions, firdt to give a talk on his work with the Sierra Leone Railway Musem - without a doubt one of the most entertaining and inspiring members meetings we have had, and last night at our running evening when he came to visit "just to play trains"

post-6679-128176921786.jpg

Steve joined the NRM from his former position as Director of the Museum of Science & Industry (MOSI) in Manchester. In his time at Manchester he transformed the Museum’s fortunes with some spectacular events, and in one of his greatest achievements, led the project to develop a new £7 million building re-development and gallery space.

His recent success in the museum sector is supported by the strong leadership skills developed in his earlier military background. Most recently, Steve’s role within the Army was Chief of Staff Headquarters 2nd Division which meant his responsibilities extended to overseeing the activities of 250 central staff and 10,000 troops across the north of England and Scotland.

Steve’s lifelong passion for railways was demonstrated while serving the Army in Sierra Leone where he transformed a warehouse of decaying railway artefacts, including locomotives and carriages from the Queen’s train used during her visit in 1961, into a new museum. He used his free time to establish the Sierra Leone National Railway Museum, initially paying staff wages from his own pocket. The Museum was officially opened in 2005 by the President of Sierra Leone and the United Kingdom’s National Railway Museum Director at the time, Andrew Scott.

Courtesy NRM Press office

Just seen the pictures by Steve Flint of Eskmuir which will be featured in the next (October) Railway Modeller magazine and they look fantastic, a credit to Caley439 and Mr Flint.

Keep your eye out for the October issue and of course, come and say hello at the MMRS exhibition itself.

Cheers

Graham

PS: any news on the aftershow debrief yet Mr C?

There will be no "official" after show social as such Mr Black and Decker, however this does allow what's always been known as the proper social event to commence earlier, to which of course, all our exhibitors are invited . Rest assured members of the MMRS are doing their best in researching a suitable establishment. Of course we could always catch a bus into town and walk up Rochdale Road......... but then again the Curry Mile is a few hundred yards up Wilmslow Road biggrin.gif

Hello there

Apologies for sounding like a soft Southerner, but can someone provide details of how to get to to new venue from the City Centre.The exhibition website suggests a number of buses that end up at the venue. Coming into Piccadilly, where is the best place to pick up one of these - Piccadilly Gardens, or do I need to be elsewhere? I typed what I thought the route was into the GMPTE website and was told to change three times!

Manchester Show has been a firm fixture in the calendar for me and I don't see any reason to change - even though it was easy when in the Co-op!

Cheers and many thanks

David

• RMweb Gold

David,

From Manchester Piccadilly

From Piccadilly Gardens bus station you can get any bus going to Owen's Park, the most frequent being 41,42,43,142,143. As this is the main area for student accomodation the buses are very frequent, from Owen's Park it is just a short

walk down Moseley Road to the venue so you only need to catch the one bus with a short walk at each end.

From Manchester Victoria

There is no direct service but a short walk to Albert Sqaure you can get the 46 but this is every 30 mins so you would be better walking or getting Metrolink to Piccadilly Gardens and travel as above.

Update

I have just realised that there is another alternative from Manchester Victoria, service 50 operates from Spring Gardens, a slightly shorter walk from the station and operates at frequent intervals. This operates down Birchfields Road at the opposite end of Moseley Road with the junction of Birchfields Road, now a retail park but once the site of Birchfields Road bus depot, this is also just a short walk to the venue.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

It's a pleasure, having worked in the Schedules Office at Birchfields Road Depot and for Wall's Coaches in Fallowfield as Operation Manager it was an area I used to know quite well, with many a bus war at Owen's Park betweeen the numerous operators who could be found on Wilmslow Road in those days. I did have to check the PTE website as most of the services are basically the same but a few I knew have long gone.

Peter

It's a pleasure, having worked in the Schedules Office at Birchfields Road Depot and for Wall's Coaches in Fallowfield as Operation Manager it was an area I used to know quite well, with many a bus war at Owen's Park betweeen the numerous operators who could be found on Wilmslow Road in those days. I did have to check the PTE website as most of the services are basically the same but a few I knew have long gone.

Peter

I've noted the prices have gone up a bit recently from the 60p I was paying in 2004 as a student! Not sure if Oxford Road is still the busiest bus route in Europe but it was certainly the phrase toted when I got here. Luckily UK North were banned from operating as they seemed to have paid their polish drivers bonus points for ramming 4x4's and hitting people on ladders..

Owens Park has a large tower block in it and lots of signs; down to the cross roads and right and you'll see the sports hall.

People coming into Oxford Road station are already on the right road (I do hope you spotted the clue..) for these buses too with stops on the road opposite the station ramp.

The 50 was always a more expensive bus than the Oxford Road selection and is a lot less frequent, its also slightly longer from that end of the street to walk I think..

ps That poor Col Steve Davies, he only came to play model trains and got royally out manoeuvred :lol: ...

The idea of a show being near to some of the finest Asian cuisine around is very appealing........ :nowinkclear:

I am really looking forward to this new venue; probably as it means avoiding the kamikaze buggy brigade in the city centre! :madclear:

• RMweb Gold
The idea of a show being near to some of the finest Asian cuisine around is very appealing........ :nowinkclear:

The thought of the hall on Sunday morning following the after effects of a load of exhibitors on a beer and curry binge, I think it will play safe and go on the Saturday! :D

Peter

The idea of a show being near to some of the finest Asian cuisine around is very appealing........ nowinkclear.gif

I am really looking forward to this new venue; probably as it means avoiding the kamikaze buggy brigade in the city centre! madclear.gif

It's not! To be honest the last few times I've ventured down the 'curry mile' I've been left a bit disappointed, I think it's got to the stage of quantity over quality, for my money the best in M/cr is either EastzEast or Akbars.

Having said that looking forward to the show even if the new venue is in south Manchester biggrin.gif

It's not! To be honest the last few times I've ventured down the 'curry mile' I've been left a bit disappointed, I think it's got to the stage of quantity over quality, for my money the best in M/cr is either EastzEast or Akbars.

Having said that looking forward to the show even if the new venue is in south Manchester biggrin.gif

You tried to find a decent curry vendor in Liverpool :huh::blink::lol:

Believe me, what you can get on the "curry mile" is a lot better....

[hides under table...]

I am really looking forward to this new venue; probably as it means avoiding the kamikaze buggy brigade in the city centre! :madclear:

All this talk of curries is making me hungry-certainly looking forward to October!!

I am really looking forward to this new venue; probably as it means avoiding the kamikaze buggy brigade in the city centre! madclear.gif

And it doesnt matter who decides to have their political conference in Manchester Central this year as we won't be affected by any resultant city centre restrictions!

The pub research continues though.....

• 3 weeks later...

Just spotted the front cover of the new Railway Modeller Mag on their website with Eskmuir loud and proud so off to Tesco to pick up a handful of copies tomorrow.

Don't forget you can see Eskmuir in the flesh at Manchester in a few weeks time.

EDIT: support your local newsagent please, T*sco is a grocery store, albeit a very rich one. LOL

Tesco was the only place I know near my place of work that stocks railway mags, however, a change of plan for my working day allowed me to get one from my local newsagent, albeit that is a national chain too!

Hope I'm not blowing our own trumpet too loudly but the Photos by Mr Flint are really top drawer and the black and white photo on the last page of the article is extremely realistic. May I say thanks to Mr Flint for his efforts.

Hope I'm not blowing our own trumpet too loudly but the Photos by Mr Flint are really top drawer and the black and white photo on the last page of the article is extremely realistic. May I say thanks to Mr Flint for his efforts.

Well, not too loudwink.gif I think that B&W shot looks like it would be at home in one of George O'Hara's bookscool.gif

..., but as my wife has a newsagents it's easy to envisage T*sco and the like taking over the world.

No offence to your Mrs, and I've no love for Tesco, but if magazine distribution in the High St is changing, then TBH I'd rather the supermarkets handle railway mags than Smiffs

Just a word of caution to those using Sat Navs - due to the vaguearies of the postcode system, if you use the actual postcode of the building it takes you down a dead end lane!

If you use M14 6ZT this will take you to Moseley Road, to almost the bottom of the entrance drive up to the Armitage Centre. The venue will be AA signposted so look out for the yellow signs!

I will most definitely be coming. I enjoyed last years (my first exhibition since pre 1990), especially watching New Hey for approximately an hour, and now its within a mile or so from my front door, which is nice B)

I see you're looking for local hostelries for a bit of a post show sup. If you can elaborate on what it is you're after (I realise real ale is a must), food, clientel, size, noise etc. I should hopefully be able to point you not far from a good suggestion. I've been drinking round these parts for the past 20 years nearly so have a reasonable idea where to give a wide birth to whether that be scally or student infested or just rank beer. I'm not trying to put anyone off, just be helpful.

PM me if easier.

Boogy

Archived