Manchester Show - 2nd-3rd October 2010 - UPDATED

Andy C

I will most definitely be coming. I enjoyed last years (my first exhibition since pre 1990), especially watching New Hey for approximately an hour, and now its within a mile or so from my front door, which is nice B)

I see you're looking for local hostelries for a bit of a post show sup. If you can elaborate on what it is you're after (I realise real ale is a must), food, clientel, size, noise etc. I should hopefully be able to point you not far from a good suggestion. I've been drinking round these parts for the past 20 years nearly so have a reasonable idea where to give a wide birth to whether that be scally or student infested or just rank beer. I'm not trying to put anyone off, just be helpful.

PM me if easier.

Boogy

Cheers Boogy, PM sent - much appreciated!

Now that sucks! :angry:

I want to go Sunday and with Man City at home I wanted to avoid using the A57/M62/Reagent Road into the City Centre [coming frae Warrington by the way]

I thought I'd use the M56 instead as that would be easier!

Wibble............................. :wacko:

Any ideas for a non-local coming frae the west?

Had a quick Google and found a couple of mentions (unofficial) that J6 to J8 is closed Westbound (away from Manchester) on that weekend. From 22.00 Friday to 5.00 am Monday.

If that's the case it should only affect going away from the show. (J6 to J8 is from Hale to the junction with A556 Chester Road, the route you would take to get to the M6)

Theres nothing on the Highways agency site, so no change there then!

Panic ye not Mr Kirk!

I will most definitely be coming. I enjoyed last years (my first exhibition since pre 1990), especially watching New Hey for approximately an hour, and now its within a mile or so from my front door, which is nice B)

I see you're looking for local hostelries for a bit of a post show sup. If you can elaborate on what it is you're after (I realise real ale is a must), food, clientel, size, noise etc. I should hopefully be able to point you not far from a good suggestion. I've been drinking round these parts for the past 20 years nearly so have a reasonable idea where to give a wide birth to whether that be scally or student infested or just rank beer. I'm not trying to put anyone off, just be helpful.

PM me if easier.

Boogy

Many thanks are due to Boogy, based on a few members research, and his valued confirmation of its credentials, a venue for the informal after show social has now been established.

Sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman:)

I want to go Sunday and with Man City at home I wanted to avoid using the A57/M62/Reagent Road into the City Centre [coming frae Warrington by the way]

Hi Iak,

if you want to come the M56 route, from about junction 4 start following the city centre (A5103) signs, its the main carriageway, if you turn off you've gone wrong.

As I say the M56 turns into the A5103 so its one road, keep heading for the city centre, you'll pass a big cemetry on your left and about a mile after that take a right onto the A6010 (sign for Fallowfield). Stay on this road, keep going straight for just over a mile and (Andy C says) there should be some AA signs for the exhibition. If you get to a roundabout you've gone too far.

Hope this is of help.

Boogy

A57 all the way from Warrington to Eccles interchange onto M60 follow signs for Airport leaving at Northenden onto the B5167.

This road leads all the way to Fallowfield meeting Moseley Road in Fallowfield village.

Had a quick Google and found a couple of mentions (unofficial) that J6 to J8 is closed Westbound (away from Manchester) on that weekend. From 22.00 Friday to 5.00 am Monday.

If that's the case it should only affect going away from the show. (J6 to J8 is from Hale to the junction with A556 Chester Road, the route you would take to get to the M6)

Theres nothing on the Highways agency site, so no change there then!

Panic ye not Mr Kirk!

Hi Andy,

From my daily travels down the M56 this week, the overhead signs seem to be warning for closures both ways, which would seem resonable if they are taking the damaged bridge deck out from junction 7. Also found a mention on this site Trafford Traffic refers to closures both east and westbound (junction 6 to 9) from 1st to 4th October. It also states the eastbound entry slip at junction 7 is closed (A556 and A56 Junction at Bowden ,Traffic from M6 south).

If you have any exhibitors or traders due to arrive first thing Saturday morning from that direction, it may be worth tipping them off!

Cheers

Simon

Hi Andy,

From my daily travels down the M56 this week, the overhead signs seem to be warning for closures both ways, which would seem resonable if they are taking the damaged bridge deck out from junction 7. Also found a mention on this site Trafford Traffic refers to closures both east and westbound (junction 6 to 9) from 1st to 4th October. It also states the eastbound entry slip at junction 7 is closed (A556 and A56 Junction at Bowden ,Traffic from M6 south).

If you have any exhibitors or traders due to arrive first thing Saturday morning from that direction, it may be worth tipping them off!

Cheers

Simon

Thanks for all the update folks and Simon in particular for finding reliable information. Our one and only Ralph R e mailed me this today as well:

Website is www.trafficengland.com and the M56 is scheduled for bridge repairs between junctions 6 and 9 from 10pm on 1 October 2010 to 5am on 4 October 2010 in both east and west directions with a consequent total motorway closure. They are forecasting a 20 minute delay – quite how they work that out I don’t know.

Junction 9 is the M6/M56 link and Junction 6 is the A538 Hale Barns junction. Alternative route from M6 is to use Junction 19 Knutsford (don’t forget to spell it correctly!) and the A556 to Altrincham then take the A560 Stockport Road through to Junction 3 of the M56 which leads directly on to the A5103, Princess Parkway.

Once again thanks all - we do have a clear answer and alternate routing from the South now. Its Grey Mare Lane for me from the North now!

The AA routeplanner now shows which bits of the M56 are closed if you turn on traffic alerts; the Altrincham, A560, Princess Road (A5103), Wilbraham road (A6010) route isn't much of a problem though as its a fairly major road and its certainly the route I take home from the south.

Mind you it will mean a lot of traffic past my house next to the A560/A5103 roundabout for those days :(. Glad they are finally doing that bridge and at least its not as bad as having a Conservative conference in the vicinity!

Is the main M602 route that bad in from the west on a weekend, i've not normally had much issue with it.

The road to really avoid is Wilmslow road from the north and to get across onto Upper Brook St to avoid Rusholme. Nice for a curry, crap to drive through!

ps What is wrong with a pub full of students just after freshers weeks may I ask? B)

• RMweb Gold

Have spent the morning just sprucing up and making a couple of repairs to Fisherton Sarum before its appearance at the show next weekend. I look forward to RMwebbers comming and saying hello. Feel free to lean heavily on the barriers :rolleyes:

gallery_243_2_162534.jpg

"Have spent the morning just sprucing up and making a couple of repairs to Fisherton Sarum before its appearance at the show next weekend. I look forward to RMwebbers comming and saying hello. Feel free to lean heavily on the barriers :rolleyes:"

I think I should admonish Graham at this point for blatantly touting for people to aid him in trying to win the saggy barrier trophy :D

To those unaware of this, the MMRS has for the past few years awarded a trophy to the layout which through the course of the show needs the barrier poles tightening up the most. As this sag is usually caused by a large number of people watching the layout we use it as an unofficial guide to the layout thats most popular with the visiting public.

Graham, you may be disqualified for attempting to influence the judges - the public ;)

Now come on Andy be fair he is coming up from Prices Risborough so you must expect him to be "Bucking" the trend.

Regards.

OHHHH dear.

Two can cheat anyway - I'll get Greg, who does the barriers, to overtighten them in front of Fisherton :D

Noooooo! Will you please please stop posting info on the Manchester Show or can someone tell me how to delete this thread from my view!

I've been going to the Manchester Show from the early 80's from both sides of the barrier. Unfortunately this year I'm booked on a residential training course from 7pm on Friday to 4pm on Sunday so I can't see anyway of getting to Manchester for the show, so I'm gutted and all this talk about the show isn't helping!

Seriously though have a great time and for anyone who hasn't been before it's a must, it's one of the best shows in the Northern hinterland with top quality exhibits and a nice relaxed atmosphere.

ps What is wrong with a pub full of students just after freshers weeks may I ask? B)

Try working for a Uni Craig..

The last thing you want of a weekend is more raving drooling bevvied bampots flicking pork scratchings at each other...

Then again there are no Vets at Manchester :lol::blink::unsure:

Looks unmissable.

Which means I'll be on shift...

Looking forward to the show this weekend, NEW venue with easy access! The Layout line up looks superb, no tat there. looks like we are getting back to the days of 'best show in the North West'.

Get on down to Manchester as these lads have worked their socks off this year, see you all there. Charlie Petty

Well after a productive (and expensive) weekend at Halifax assisting Mr C on New Hey, we have a few new bits of stock to complete this week so they can make their debut this weekend.

Even Mr B (Caley 439) is in the dark for the odd one or two.

See you there.

PS. I take it from an earlier posting that there is another Graham coming up from Princes Risborough for the weekend.....

Cheers

Graham

• RMweb Gold

PS. I take it from an earlier posting that there is another Graham coming up from Princes Risborough for the weekend.....

Cheers

Graham

Hi Graham, yes Princes Risborough (well a small hill top village just outside) is the home of Fisherton Sarum and of course me! Will be heading North on Friday morning (complete with spare allen key!)

Myself and Tony W spent the evening up a ladder at the side of the synthetic pitches, much to the bemused glances of a whole host of young female lacrosse players. All to put up a big banner which says "Model railway Exhibition here this weekend. Its very visisible from the lights at the bottom of the drive so you will know when you have arrived :D

Getting in weekend mode already and looking forward to it. laugh.gif

Just seen a pic of the hall and it looks huge! RMweb stand will be near the middle of the hall in between Fisherton Sarum and Ashburton; opposite Dewsbury Midland and Dinas 1869. Please drop by and say hello.

The plan shows just how much quality there is lined up. smile.gif

Archived