The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

GWR Railway Coach Inside a House (BBC News Report)

Debs.

• RMweb Gold

Typical piece of twee reportage from a local TV reporter. They really think that all TV viewers have an IQ of 70.

This sort of bungalow is actually quite common in rural areas. People bought up old railway carriages (usually without underframes) and put them in a field to live in. They did not have "mobile" homes back then. Over the years, extensions were usually built so that one could not really see where the original coach was. But if you visit bungalows in that sort of situation, you often find that the internal room layout betrays where the carriage was originally. When I was doing energy assessments, I came across several - but none restored like this one.

I would guess he is planning to let it for holidays and I am sure it will be very successful. People like something with a bit of character.

In the sixties my parents had friends who lived for a while at Shoreham by Sea, and on the outskirts of the town there was a regular 'estate' of bungalows all originally built from two short carriage bodies laid parallel about ten feet apart, and then with a peaked roof built over. I especially liked one where the owner had kept up the theme, and used a grounded CCT body as a garage. Wonder if any of those still exist?

The LNWR sold off quite a few carriage bodies which were bought for use a summer houses, holiday cottages. Several ended up on the south coast, especially the Bognor Regis area. Some were well maintained and at least one was "recovered" and restored some years ago.

A LNWR 12 wheel diner was used as a "cafe" on the A5 in the 50s. It was shown in a photo in MRJ 165.

I read the Daily Mail article and noted that it twice refers to him as a "divorcee". What's that got to do with it? Perhaps a sly way of suggesting here is one of those sad train spotter types that needs to get a life. Even though the bloke is doing something constructive they can't resist having a go.

Good to see overwhelmingly positive comments on the Daily Mail website. I it would be a sweeping statement to say that the public have a more mature view of railway enthusiasts than journalists, but I believe that there is some truth in it!

Great work on the carriage. Whilst I have seen photos of many examples where carriages have been incorporated into a house, and a fair few previously grounded/lived in carriages have been restored to working order, this is the first case of a lovingly restored carriage forming part of a house that I have come across.

I can see looking out of window a bungalow built from a railway carriage (coast of Norfolk) ( 4 miles from the nearest line the past) and Know there are several others in the area. I also remember just off the East coast mainline somewhere near Alnwick there being some there too.

The Q

Archived