RMweb

Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Hi 2ManySpams

Got a load on an excel doc.  Got a few years ago off the net for a little micro layout.  Some gooduns - Benson Hedges, Coke and a Mini advert etc.  Just click on them and resize to suit etc.  Give us an email address and I'll attach and send.  Got a great one of that old 'Labour Isn't Working' advert of the late 70's.

Regards

Mike

Edited by PaternosterRow

Those Commers were ten a penny when I started my apprenticeship with BT in 1981, they were hideous things to travel in, even more so if you happened to be the poor sod bullied into driving it for any great distance. The party trick with them was to switch the engine off but leave it in gear whilst coasting down the road, and after a few yards, turn the ignition on again. Having mechanical fuel pumps in those days, there would be a flow of unburnt petrol and air mixture which would gravitate through the engine and into the exhaust, turning the ignition on again ignited it all. Best case would be a bang which would scare the hell out of passing pedestrians or cyclists; next stage would be a more powerful explosion which would blow a hole in the silencer (we managed to blow holes in the baffles of the silencer on one, sounded like a V8 Chevy after that!). The final, and undoubtedly the piece-de-resistance, would result in any build up of soot in the engine and exhaust being burnt in one go, quite a spectacular pyrotechnical display. Trouble with this one, it could do some pretty serious damage to the engine, burnt valve seals and guides, even bent valves, which earned us a severe bollocking from the MT guys on one occasion (honest mate, it just stalled and when we restarted it...)

• Like 6

Unfortunately out of stock - and will be for some time, if it ever comes back, I understand.

You're right, it seems to have sold out at all retailers including obscure places like the Black Country Bugle shop and Teet Blackcountry Teeshirts!

I wonder if the BC Museum shop (which doesn't have an online facility yet) might have one?

• RMweb Premium

Although I was only about 10 in the period there are a few ad / public campaigns I remember although what made its way onto bill boards I am not sure.

I think we were backing britain - buy british

We were going to work on an egg and I can remember an Hard boiled egg in a cup

Whach out there was a humphrey about - little red and white straws that would drink any milk the blue tits had left

Frank Muir was a deffinate fruit and nut case and some bird was always on the telly eating flake

One thing I do remember on bill boards was Lambs Navy Rum with a rather scantily clad girl on a beach

What about follow the bear- heineken, and when were we telling Sid ?

I have found a number when viewing pictures of buses.

There seams a number of flicker contributers that have shots with bill boards in the back ground .  cant find away to link them or even replicate the search but they are in there somewhere

Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Although we haven't had any electricity today from about midday until just before 10.30 tonight I have managed to do a bit, I've glued up the axles and rubbed down the tyres on the little Leyland all by candle light, 5 of them! I'd fitted the mirrors, wipers and grab handles and weathered it last night. I also have a load planned for this one.

post-7104-0-69546600-1356303623.jpg

I'm ready for the next part of the project, I called into Peter's Spares in Middlesbrough yesterday and came away with a bag full of cars... Just a few jobs on lorries and vans to finish first.

post-7104-0-37414000-1356303628.jpg

Edited by Worsdell forever
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Yes indeed, i have a selection of gloss paints in the garage that never quite dry.....

I remember unpacking and erecting Treneglos with wet paint with old gringo & 2manyspams in France some years back.

The BL 1100 / 1300 were made at Longbridge, which is even closer.  They had been superseded by the Allegro in '73, (some old stock wasn't registered until '74) but were the chariot of choice for the hardworking family guy on a tight budget.  I don't know how much traffic you will need on BCB, but by their utter mundane-ness they would really suit the melancholy aura I think you are trying to create.  Minix ones available on EBay.

Rovers and the booted variants of the Mini, less likely, they tended to haunt Sutton Coldfield or Penn, rather than BC.  Singers, still many pre-Arrow series about (my mates mum had one).  Imps were still in production, till '76.

Edited, having checked car production dates:  28xx

Edited by 28XX
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Although I was only about 10 in the period there are a few ad / public campaigns I remember although what made its way onto bill boards I am not sure.

There are a few of those you list which I remember, which (since I'm the baby of our group) would mean they were still around late '70s or early '80s

I have found a number when viewing pictures of buses.

There seams a number of flicker contributers that have shots with bill boards in the back ground .  cant find away to link them or even replicate the search but they are in there somewhere

Click "Share" (above the photo), then either copy & paste the link in the "grab the link" box: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jurasik2011/5539263553/

Or, if the user has allowed it, "Grab the HTML/BB code", select the BB code radio button and copy & paste:

1232671740_8543dff9ff.jpg

Pipers Row, Wolverhampton, April 1980 by Lady Wulfrun, on Flickr

• Like 3