Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

K,

I did a step by step guide to making a building using mounting board and Plastikard, it's in the Scenery, Structures & Transport forum although if you click on my name and look for my content, you should be able to find it. None of it is too complex, it's just a case of measuring up, cutting and glueing things really. As Jim S-W once put it, buildings are only a series of boxes :D

Thanks, I shall seek that out!

Keith

A couple from David Rostance, who seems to have been active around Wolverhampton and The Black Country in the mid-1970's:

First one bang on period, April 1975 with a Guinness advert on the wall of the BWB building: http://www.flickr.com/photos/71592768@N08/6883032929/in/pool-528522@N25/

Second one three years later, but full of atmosphere and judging by the state of the ITT advert, it's been up there a while: http://www.flickr.com/photos/71592768@N08/6791218211/in/set-72157628648235641/

Andy

Edited by 5 C
  • Like 3

Chris,

Link now edited. Second one should be Pipers Row, Wolverhampton.

There's been plenty of debate about which beer and which brewery best sums up the Black Country, but wherever you were in the Midlands, it was pretty hard to escape Ansells advertising, with their bittermen who couldn't be beaten. Apparently.

Here, Lady Wulfrun has found two WMPTE D9's in West Brom alongside an Ansells advert: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/1217201890/sizes/z/in/pool-51426133@N00/

The picture would date from somewhere between 1974 and May 1977 when 5023 was withdrawn.

Andy

• Like 1

Just in case anyone's interested (and because I can't find the original thread), here's a shot of dad's model. The sharpness of the paint job is not matched by the sharpness of the picture unfortunately!

attachicon.gifCabs 004.gif

He still hasn't got around to weathering it so far as I'm aware.

Adam

Crikey, this BCB project as a whole is so refreshing,......REAL traditional modelling at it's VERY BEST!!! :fan: That diesel/elec shunter, how that's been captured is....Well!!!, AND I believe there is still work to finish it off??  Can't wait to see the end product,  WELL DONE!! :clapping_mini: ....only tonight,nipped out to get some bits of shopping from our local supermarket I took the opportunity to take a quick flick through the latest `mainstream' model railway mags as I ALWAYS have done.

I've always been a regular taker of at least two of the leading one's. Of late I have found these maybe getting a little `Stale', not saying the `overall' standard is bad or knocking anyone's choice of subject as `EVERYONE' has their own preferences, and I guess that the mags are just addressing what the majority of folk want to see and aspire to, but I think everything has become a `little predictable' in these publications of late.

Without going OT here :nono: , as there are many other topic threads already dealing with varying opinions, It's so good to see some truely unusual, often classified as a `mundane' or uninteresting subject being modelled.

I like the way the BCB team are being so `meticulous' in their research of the various themes that will all finally come together to give the model it's true `Black Country' identity and atmosphere.

Also,great to see some great projects being undertaken with some `good old fashioned, traditional' model making skills being used, also good to see some of the latest products alongside scratchbuilding and kitbashing topped off with their builders individual mark and `attention to detail'.

There's so much info, photo's and quality products out there now to really get the `very best' results in the railway modelling hobby,thus producing a great variety of individual or `one off' models etc, without too much difficulty, even `beginners' out there can be confident in being able to create something of which they are proud of, and most importantly they have done themselves....truely rewarding I feel anyway, just have a go at something small, what have you got to lose??. 

So,`Brilliant', to all involved, your work is a credit to you, it's great to be able to read and follow some really inspiring individual projects under the BCB project as a whole :clapping: as some of the builders directly involved with BCB have commented,`we never thought this project would generate so much interest' and to be honest as someone who has been following the various topics on here from day one I've watched the thread go from strength to strength,.. must admit to being `a bit overwhelmed at it's popularity' myself.......Having seen the content of at least 3 different mags today, there little of interest to me as an individual, which I feel a `shame' considering I've always found something of interest in at least one of them (well there was actually,...but I can read it on here, anyway I'll say no more :stop: ). Sadly,I think it's time to give these a miss this month and continue to follow the various topics/projects on here,.....maybe next month then for the mags? I never really thought I'd get to the point of giving My once `fave' reads the `cold shoulder'....but I guess things, tastes, n times change.

Cheers, Rich.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A good start, So, Andy is building the pub, is Stubby fitting the toilets?

[adenoid voice]

Yes, for this era of public house the toilet facilities would be external, built in brick in the English Garden Wall bond, with high level tanks using the Crapper MkIi over-syphon mechanism, dispensing into an Armitage Shanks white, double-strength porcelain pan...

[/adenoid voice]

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks again Andy, the structure of the last one is roughly what I had in mind. It would appear that beer and fags will be 2 out of the 3 adverts, and it sounds like Ansells were prolific. I like that their Bittermen adverts have period photos - great stuff!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rich, that means a lot to us all. One of the reasons we went for this project, and I think a reason why BRM chose us, is that we wanted to show how research and 'proper' model making could together produce a unique end result that is a world apart from the ready-to-plonk buildings and kits that are becoming universal. Glad you are enjoying the journey.

• RMweb Premium

Damian/ John

Rather a mundane request for RM web but when I took my mum through the drapes requirements I spotted a potential issue.

Her plan is to slightly gather them somehow so they hang more like curtains rather than a stretch piece of material.

The main senic section is 6.6 metres and the the two fiddles are 3m allowing for some wrap around.

There is a step in overall board width of about 8 - 12 inches between the main scenic boards and the fiddle yards ( I know you know that).  Do you see that being part of the main scenic drape ? Is it allowed for in the 6.6 metres ?  and....  since the main drape mounts from velcro on the inside of the front facia, Is there or will there be a piece of additional facia depth timber in that 8 to 12 inches on which to mount it ?

Andy 

• RMweb Premium

Andy, 

After your call this morning I've gone through the site measurements again and double checked the alignment of the backscene.

Over all size of the rectangular base should be no more than 110mm x 180mm. At this full size the triangle cut out of the back corner for the backscene is 50mm x 115mm*. The ground has been prepared for a 10mm deep socket generally and take the brick down to this level. For the gable facing the canal take the brick down a further 10mm. (*corrected)

The corner of the pub closest to the canal / road is set 10mm below the road at that point and therefore there should be around 5 steps down to the pub ground level (and a further 10mm for the socket base). By the corner nearest the railway bridge there is a drop of around 20ish mm from the road to the pub plot. This looked about right. You'll see the ramp down the side of the pub for the 'Oss to go to the stables...

Below are some photos of the site with dimensions on, ignore the red lines. I think though it would be safer to reduce the width to 100mm to ensure the roof ridgeline is not compromised. (Before anyone (Stubby) asks, the cocktail sticks are not permanent!) 

post-6675-0-23871600-1358323746_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-52759100-1358323759_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-84470800-1358323772_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-40316700-1358323786_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-12906900-1358323802_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-72496100-1358323816_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-60579200-1358323832_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith,

sorry, was on the ipad last night and it's a bit of a pain to copy and paste but below is the link to the start of the step-by-step guide I put together. it's for a stone building but the principles (e.g. the painting) are exactly the same.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40873-buildings-for-bacup/?p=850711

Hope that helps,

Jason

• Like 2