Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Ref the billets Mark;

Size first, any length you want really, no standards. They're rolled very long and sheared off, as they come out if the mill, to whatever the works or customer specifies. Anything between 25' and 40' are typical and there's enough steel in such a length to satisfy most needs. Short lengths require extra handling, longer increases the difficulty in both handling and transport so, certainly done, but only if an absolute requirement. Billets incoming to Trafalgar works in 1976 would be cropped to suit the reheating furnaces, up to 40' would be fine.

Yes, steam era things change. The works is then making steel and would ship out anything from full ingots, blooms, billets and whatever sections you fancy. Not even the biggest works made everything and Trafalgars most likely existence would have been as a producer of narrow flats and light to medium sections. Wide and heavy plate and hot rolled coil were not typical Black Country products. Tube was but, if associated with it, Trafalgar would probably roll 'skelp', flat narrow strip with tapered edges supplied to the tube rollers, where it is rolled up and welded longitudinally.

At the end of the day, it's a model, and I can write up a plausible scenario to suit any load type you fancy, the main prototype limitation is that no works made everything.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Yeah, those ads illustrate some of the kinds of sections Trafalgar Works would produce. The combined Wolverhampton and Birchley Rolling Mills (1956) rolled 100,000 tons a year. Even a small integrated (that is, iron & steel making and rolling) works like Trafalgar would have rolled at least 350,000 tons a year at that time. So the product range would have been wider, larger size ranges too, but those ads would fit the bill.

No no no no !

I've just got back from Skiing in Cortina, in Italy.

Keen to discover the history of the railway remains in the town I've just done a google image search on 'Railways of Cortina'.

What comes up first?

Our very own Cortina on BCB next to the canal !

ha ha ha ha ha

• RMweb Premium

How did the last exhibition day for Foundry Lane go ????

Andy

Very well, thanks; and thanks again for your help yesterday and at the previous shows we've done.  I reckon you've spent almost as much time as I have shunting on this little layout!

From the BCB fleet; 25038 with a few engineers wagons:

post-6677-0-28716600-1394401849_thumb.jpg

25145 stands in a deserted Foundry Lane having just emptied the sidings for the last time:

post-6677-0-28751300-1394401918_thumb.jpg

Flashback to how it all started, the 25 in the distance would later become 25145:

foundrylane2.jpg

So that's it FL has now officially retired.

• RMweb Premium

Very well, thanks; and thanks again for your help yesterday and at the previous shows we've done.  I reckon you've spent almost as much time as I have shunting on this little layout!

From the BCB fleet; 25038 with a few engineers wagons:

attachicon.gifWP_20140309_003.jpg

25145 stands in a deserted Foundry Lane having just emptied the sidings for the last time:

attachicon.gifWP_20140309_012.jpg

Flashback to how it all started, the 25 in the distance would later become 25145:

foundrylane2.jpg

So that's it FL has now officially retired.

Hi Mark

Sorry I was unable to see Foundry Lanes last outing, hope all went well.

Terry

• RMweb Premium

25187's works visit is progressing nicely.  Following the arrival of a Legomanbiffo sound chip, it was time to start putting it all back together.  Here is a comparison between the original chassis and its replacement:

post-6677-0-16442400-1394996090_thumb.jpg

The cab floor and bufferbeam will be attached to the body - I've not done that yet as I want to paint the cab interior grey first.  Here's a comparison to 25145 which hasn't yet had this modification (but might be the next one to be done):

post-6677-0-89516900-1394996096_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-96030700-1394996277_thumb.jpg

• Like 4