Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Andy Y, on 26 Feb 2014 - 10:49, said:

In a parallel universe I've had a vision of BCB gaining overhead equipment (a la Handsworth to Soho). I can see it with the gantries up and the engineers starting to string up the knitting whilst one end or the other operates as a single line working around the engineers. It would look good with a bouncy AM4 alongside the canal section!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/8448779718/sizes/o/

its as likely as steam at DEMU

A

• RMweb Premium

And all the other layouts round about, what about the visitors, do they get ear plugs issued at the door????

Dave.

As a rule, I like to keep the decoder volumes at a relatively low level this seems to prevent the decoders getting too hot and to my ear is more realistic (and, as Chris says, the high back scene helps to contain the sound and direct it towards viewers).  The volume on the 20s will be adjusted to match with the rest of the fleet, except of course as there are two of them, they should be twice as loud, right?

....the sound system vibrations for a 40 in full cry on Mostyn caused the small components on Eileen's stand to fall off the shelves at the exhibition in Melksham a few years back....we had the punters asking for more but the then owner of the stall telling us to keep it down.

Dave

Mmm, a challenge......

Has only one loco got a speaker in?

Mike.

Yes, at the moment.  Original plan was to install a tweeter in 20189 (just to make sure the operators get the full benefit of the higher frequency whistling), but for now I think we'll trial it with just the one speaker and see if anyone notices (oops, did I just say that out loud?)

Mark have you thought of using Kadees between the bolsters? Obviously set back further and higher than normal and without the uncoupling loop. The knuckles would allow sideways and vertical movement...

Wash your mouth out!  We'll have no talk of those couplings round here  :nono:

I'm hoping the latest version of the inter-wagon coupling does the job, there should be more than enough sideways and vertical movement in them now.  I did a quick test a while ago and reversed the rake at full speed into the yard with no derailments, so fingers crossed!  This is one of the issues with not having the layout set up for testing though as next time I'm able to do any testing is likely to be the Friday of the next exhibition.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, at the moment.  Original plan was to install a tweeter in 20189 (just to make sure the operators get the full benefit of the higher frequency whistling), but for now I think we'll trial it with just the one speaker and see if anyone notices (oops, did I just say that out loud?)

I did :beee:

Perhaps a sugar cube in the other one would be a solution?

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps a sugar cube in the other one would be a solution?

Yes, was thinking along those lines, it'd have to go in the cab though.

Decided that I might try to make the wires between the locos plug into the bufferbeam to look like the multiple working jumpers.

• Like 1

...a vote for 1950s/60s transition era, with a rich mix of green diesels and steam locos....an awful lot of earlier freight wagon options open up too!!

Lots of partially fitted/unfitted workings.

You know you want it.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Midland 2Fs

8571808977_072ce8b2ff_b.jpg

Is that 4-4-0 behind it a 2P?

Certainly looks like one so it probably is one.  I thought Duck Eights had much more character than all of those funny Midland designs.

• RMweb Premium

I'm wondering whether there are other aspects of how the steam era railway operated which we need to take into consideration when it comes to fiddle yard design.  

For example, on leaving the tunnel the main line on the layout is climbing up hill at a gradient of about 1:100 towards the viaduct.  We're aware of a few places locally where trains were banked on similar gradients.  If we want to portray banking on the layout, we'll need somewhere (off scene) at the tunnel end where the banking loco can wait.  This will need a cross over to allow the banking loco to return back down hill and return into its siding.  Likewise, as we've already established, the steelworks would have been handling significantly more wagons, so we'll need to find a way of storing all those extra wagons in the high level fiddle yard.

Can anybody think of anything else?