Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Modelling the Southern - Jeremy English - Noodle Books

Godfrey Glyn

• RMweb Gold

Picked up a copy of this from Bob at Alton on Sunday. I haven't read it through word for word but I think its a really good buy. There are lots of photographs in it which are new to me plus some good shots of some fine modelling. I particularly love the colour photo of Ventnor West, as a small boy I used to live in the cottage overlooking the station yard ( alas after the track had been lifted) and have always thought it would make a great model. At £16.95 I think its another very good value book from Kevin Robertson.

Godfrey

I'll check this out next time I'm at my local Ian Allen bookshop - but meanwhile out of interest - what subjects does it broadly cover?

As a modeller of the Southern, in my mind there's an almost inexhaustible list of areas about which I'd like to learn more :

EMUs

locos

carriages

station colours and styles

concrete structures

operations

3rd rail positioning

track

point motors

signalling

For perfectly understandable reasons I find many publications focus on post 1947, so I wonder the balance of coverage 1924 - 1947.

It's just idle curiosity really because like I say I'll see for myself in a few weeks when I go to the bookshop.

I think I read this was one of two books (the second to follow). Do I recall correctly?

Thanks,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

More information on the book can be found here. Yes it is Volume 1 and the second is due early next year witth possibly more volume to follow.

Yes it covers a number of different apsects, Mark, a number of which are on your list and also yes it does cover pre-nationalisation Southern Railway.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a copy of this from Bob at Alton on Sunday. I haven't read it through word for word but I think its a really good buy. There are lots of photographs in it which are new to me plus some good shots of some fine modelling. I particularly love the colour photo of Ventnor West, as a small boy I used to live in the cottage overlooking the station yard ( alas after the track had been lifted) and have always thought it would make a great model. At £16.95 I think its another very good value book from Kevin Robertson.

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey,

Would you mind posting the ISBN and publisher for this book.

Much appreciated,

Gary.

• RMweb Gold

Would you mind posting the ISBN and publisher for this book.

If you click on the link in Graham Muz's #4 above, you will get the ISBN at the bottom of the page. Publisher is Noodle Books, and Google will get you their website with order-cart.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished reading this today, and it's excellent. The sections on locomotives and carriage stock, where they ran and when are invaluable. Definitely a book to be referred to again. Already looking forward to volume 2

Archived