4mm Scale Tunnel Mouths

I am looking for a couple of 4mm scale double track tunnel mouths. Nothing fancy - plain brick or stone. The problem is that they have to be the right size!

Many model tunnel mouths are a lot bigger than they need to be - especially the Skaledale one with its train set clearances.

Of course real tunnels have to be built clear of the loading gauge and that's about it. So can anyone recommend any ready-made model tunnel mouths which don't look absurdly large?

Thanks.

Geoff Endacott

Geoff you must be a mind reader.

A similar question was going through my mind today as I peered at an unsatisfactory bridge on one of my layouts. I have been looking around for a road bridge and all I can find are tunnels. There are some resin castings for tunnels that keep on popping upon ebay described as OO/HO the trouble is that they may be too HO for your requirements and look very european in style.

The HO gauge would suit me much better but the curvy appearance of a tunnel mouth would be completely wrong.

The best and nearest I have seen so far is on Chris Nevard's Polbrock

Goog luck

I'm in exactly the same boat Geoff, my tunnel month needs to sit in an existing cutting and the proprietary items available are much too wide.

My options I think are to hack it about so the mouth furthest away is perfectly visible but brought (prototypical) closer to the runningline and hide the chopped off part with retaining wall and/or vegetation. As it is in a cutting it does mean this option is somewhat easier for me though.

Have you considered having the tunnel mouth at an alternative angle to 90deg of the tracks entering or possibly two single bores, the lines diverging slightly before entering?

C6T.

Geoff

Yes I too have used a bridge as a scenic break. Again the early Skaledale version. However I thought it sat far too high and have supported the bridge off a separate piece of board fastened to the underside of the main board. This way the whole structure is lowered 1/2inch (12.5mm). The bridge is viisble in this picture, but the requirement for a scenic break changed when I decided I needed space for a diesel depot.

The new diesel depot

Regards Ray

Geoff,

I know you have asked about ready made items and I have had the same problem. I thought about modifying and wondered if it might be easier to scratch build. It is not as difficult as one might imagine. The best bit is that it can be made to exactly the size and style you want. If you start with the paper/card/plastic face you want, you then use that as a template for the structure. Scalescenes (as already mentioned) does the first part of the job for you which is fine if it is the design you want.

Harold.

Archived