GWR W3 CATTLE WAGON

• 2 weeks later...

I have managed to get this little wagon painted. Will get on with transfers when I have had another look at the way they were lettered. Looks a little strange as I had to use gloss paint for the roof and inside, but it will tone down when varnished.

I am pleased with the way it has turned out, far better than I thought. Now I am not sure whether to keep it for myself, although it is a little old for my modelling period.

post-13601-0-49713800-1340145353_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-37944500-1340145433_thumb.jpg

Hopefully next post will be it completed. Then on with the next wagon.

Peter,

1904 was when the large (25") GW was introduced. From early 1890s the ends had four metal plates. In the centre on the third plank down "G.W.R". Below this centred over the fourth and fifth plank, the load and tare. Then at five planks down (one above the centre of the X bracing) the number was to the left side and "SMALL" to the right.

From 1904-14, they had G W at the top of the outer panels, probably in about 16" letters with the number painted below the G and tare and load below the W. The layout changed again in 1914...

Nick

Peter,

1904 was when the large (25") GW was introduced. From early 1890s the ends had four metal plates. In the centre on the third plank down "G.W.R". Below this centred over the fourth and fifth plank, the load and tare. Then at five planks down (one above the centre of the X bracing) the number was to the left side and "SMALL" to the right.

From 1904-14, they had G W at the top of the outer panels, probably in about 16" letters with the number painted below the G and tare and load below the W. The layout changed again in 1914...

Nick

Thanks Nick

Trouble is now you have created another question. What did they look like?

Well thanks to Nick I have now done the lettering it is not quite right. It is supposed to say To Carry 8Tons on the sides, but the only transfers I have for it are too long, mine sign wrighting is not that good so it just has 8 Tons.

I cut out the cast end plates from scrap fret, rivetted the corners and painted them. They are made to fit the location and lettering, so not sure if the sizes are correct, but to me they look the part. I had to hand letter the weight and tare plate, which is why the quality is not so good.

post-13601-0-83254400-1340656263_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-01812300-1340656336_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-07745000-1340656422_thumb.jpg

I think this will now be sealed with some varnish, have the wheels attached, and I will try my hand at some of this weathering thing.

looking at the photo of the prototype, the lettering seems very much tighter spacing, may even be compressed a bit. The signwritter had no troubles with fixed length and letter sizes.

I think the answer is to be to practice lettering by hand for these odd ones.

The notice 'To Carry, 8 Tons, Tare 8.11.0'

I think I would have done this with MSExcel and printed it out via a Laser printer - Inkjets fade to quickly.

Others on here use different programmes, but any programme that allows you to vary the size of the printout will do.

MSWord won't, or mine won't anyway.

.. I remember having problems fitting in both the 'to carry' and 'tare' wording on some smaller vans with the HMRS transfers.

I have often thought some of the 3mm scale transfers had a use in 4mm and I have used some on PO wagons.

I also used the Copyright and Registered letters/numbers at the bottom of 'Lettraset' sheets.

Certainly some Methfix LNWR Coats of Arms that were done some 30+ years ago in 3mm looked correct for 4mm

- these were a private commission with a few left over, first come first served.

BTW - I do think it's looking a very good model, well done.

The notice 'To Carry, 8 Tons, Tare 8.11.0'

I think I would have done this with MSExcel and printed it out via a Laser printer - Inkjets fade to quickly.

Others on here use different programmes, but any programme that allows you to vary the size of the printout will do.

MSWord won't, or mine won't anyway.

If I had the laser printer I probably think about it. But here we have a very very basic HP injet that sometimes condiscends to print an A4 sheet. It is also trying to a colour match to the paint. One day I will spend some time to mess and relearn how I used to do the things I did when shopfitting designing.

Well considering what you started with ..and where you are ...this has come up really well :locomotive:

....I would not worry too much about the smaller lettering ...by the time you have done some weathering it will be less noticeable ....and you could always redo some later when you are able to access some...maybe using 4mm ??

Regards Trevor ...... :sungum:

I have given this a coat of varnish with black in it which has toned down the transfers nicely. Except some fool forgot the outside of the roof. This I think I will brush and try and get a rain streeked mess, if you know what I mean.

The weathering can start now. Hoping you all will be keeping an eye on the mess I will be making, and possibly not laugh to loadly.

post-13601-0-64949500-1341003312_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-45873000-1341003386_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-09165500-1341003447_thumb.jpg

As you ca see the roof is still rather white.

Here is the latest update on my W3 cattle wagon, I have made a start with the weathering it is all about how far you go, and I am very unsure where to go.

I think it is coming on ok, I want to get the roof a little greyer, I like the way it is going. I also want to lighten up the underframe a little. I think the body is just about there.

Hopefully you all will let me know your views and my faults with the weathering so far.

post-13601-0-45611400-1341328020_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-65840500-1341328080_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-98251000-1341328134_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-25913800-1341328590_thumb.jpg

I think the body is good, I would go for a more sooty colour on the roof from the loco,I would say very dirty with that body,Thats only my opinion,And its a nice job, Garry

I think the body is good, I would go for a more sooty colour on the roof from the loco,I would say very dirty with that body,Thats only my opinion,And its a nice job, Garry

Thanks, I may well go with a dusting of black over the roof..

Vans were cleaned at the earliest opportunity following the carrying of animals, and limewash was applied at the conclusion of the cleaning regime. It was always a very thorough job with blanket coverage internally and over the lower planks and curb rail.

Cattle disease was then a huge concern, perhaps even more so than today because those vans could travel to any station on the system, so nothing was left to chance.

It's always a worry that on a model such a blanket of white (or just off white if we want to scale the colour) is going to look over-egged, but it will be correct. Personally I'd go for another coat so that the grey paint on those lower planks is obliterated. The feathering at the base of the door is perfect.

Vans were cleaned at the earliest opportunity following the carrying of animals, and limewash was applied at the conclusion of the cleaning regime. It was a always very thorough job with blanket coverage internally and over the lower planks and curb rail.

Cattle disease was then a huge concern, perhaps even more so than today because those vans could travel to any station on the system, so nothing was left to chance.

It's always a worry that on a model such a blanket of white (or just off white if we want to scale the colour) is going to look over-egged, but it will be correct. Personally I'd go for another coat so that the grey paint on those lower planks is obliterated. The feathering at the base of the door is perfect.

Thanks, goes to show you are never to old to learn. I will give the white another go. (well actually white with a little ochreand dark earth) Weathering actually is something new to me, I often tone the varnish down with black or dark grey.

Also the lime wash started to effect the feet of cattle, Im not sure on the date (someone here will know) But it was banned from wagons, and you will not see any wagons with it on in any 1930s and later photos, Garry

Thanks to some useful advice from Buckjumper and MSWJR here are some updated pictures. It seems so wrong having so much white at the bottom, but it is what the photos show.

I think it is now time to fit the buffers and couplings, unless there is any more things I should do with the weathering.

post-13601-0-29957500-1341420249_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-79927100-1341420193_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-09746600-1341420021_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-96146300-1341420074_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-19693600-1341420130_thumb.jpg

It must be almost time to pull another wreck from the cupboard.

Also the lime wash started to effect the feet of cattle, Im not sure on the date (someone here will know) But it was banned from wagons, and you will not see any wagons with it on in any 1930s and later photos, Garry

Thanks for the info I did know about the limewash stopping and changing to disinfectants, this is modelled as a turn of the century wagon.

Archived