RMweb Newsletter

I'll investigate compatability issues (appears to run on an Android tablet with ICS) tomorrow but a cautionary note to all readers to not download the pdf file for MI5 (as per the disk icon at bottom left) as it's the 167MB hi-res version. I did send the 26MB compressed version too but the file hasn't been swapped over yet. The hi-res file will take a long time to download and should be avoided if you are on a data plan!

There is good news and there is bad news. The good news is that the Newsletter arrived in my inbox from Warners at 19.41 so thanks again to Andy for fixing it. The bad news is that not one of the links works: all I get is the rather tiresome message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage", except for where the newsletter says "Hsving trouble viewing this email? Please click here to view it online" when the browser says "Oops! Internet Explorer could not find email.rmweb.co.uk". In addition the newsletter has lots of those red Xs where there ought to be a picture and guess what, right-clicking on "show picture" does not work either.

I suppose I should be thankful that Treets do not melt in my hand! What I have to say of technology at this moment is not for polite company. I know: I'll have an early night and it will be all right in the morning.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I'll investigate compatability issues tomorrow but a cautionary note to all readers to not download the pdf file for MI5 (as per the disk icon at bottom left) as it's the 167MB hi-res version. I did send the 26MB compressed version too but the file hasn't been swapped over yet. The hi-res file will take a long time to download and should be avoided if you are on a data plan!

Not sure what you mean about links, Andy. There's dozens of 'broken picture' icons all over the e-mail I've received.

post-7024-0-94704400-1347392994_thumb.jpg

Managed to respond to the competition, though, so there'll be a bit of compensation coming my way soon.

Another observation, the link to BCB video via AOL browser ( IE7 I think) I get a panel asking if i want secure content or not. Opting for Secure content I get a message " Navigation cancelled" .But opting for the not secure version gets a working video . Sorry if this is old hat.

• Administrators

Hi all,

Apologies for the problems you're having. I've tried it on an iPad and am also experiencing problems. As soon as I get into the office tomorrow morning I'll contact our IT department to get these problems sorted.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

a cautionary note to all readers to not download the pdf file for MI5 (as per the disk icon at bottom left) as it's the 167MB hi-res version. I did send the 26MB compressed version too but the file hasn't been swapped over yet. The hi-res file will take a long time to download and should be avoided if you are on a data plan!

I was going to comment on the viewer but if it can be downloaded as a PDF there won't be a problem (when the compressed one is up). The picture is too small or too big when zoomed, takes a while for some pages to load and jiggles all over the place when I move the mouse! :nono:

Content is superb though :sungum:

I was going to comment on the viewer but if it can be downloaded as a PDF there won't be a problem (when the compressed one is up). The picture is too small or too big when zoomed, takes a while for some pages to load and jiggles all over the place when I move the mouse! :nono:

It is an issue that has been raised for tweaks to be made by IT; I'm not sure if it's trying to load each page from the hi-res or compressed version.

• RMweb Gold

Better news here now, he said cautiously. An adjustment to my internet (?) tools, completely unskilled and probably very lucky, has enabled me to open all the links. I hope that everyone else gets a result too.

Chris

If only it was as simple as opening a plastic bag... :O :dontknow: :derisive:

• RMweb Premium

Andy, I get the same problems as Chris reported in post 156, but with the Firefox equivalents of his IE messages. I'll wait and see how it is tomorrow.

Dave

I'll investigate compatability issues (appears to run on an Android tablet with ICS) tomorrow but a cautionary note to all readers to not download the pdf file for MI5 (as per the disk icon at bottom left) as it's the 167MB hi-res version. I did send the 26MB compressed version too but the file hasn't been swapped over yet. The hi-res file will take a long time to download and should be avoided if you are on a data plan!

Well I was at work so it wasn't my bandwidth!!! However I downloaded the pdf version, around about 13:15 on Tuesday , and although the link said that it was 167Mb pdf download in size the actual downloaded pdf was only about 26Mb and everything was there.

and although the link said that it was 167Mb pdf download in size the actual downloaded pdf was only about 26Mb and everything was there.

Thanks Adrian; that's been helpful. I did assume it was still the original file when it gave the size!

For anyone who tried to download to an ipad/phone yesterday and had problems with the magreader software there is now a link on the page (linked to from the newsletter) to download directly as a pdf.

The file is 26MB despite what the save copy link in the magreader says!

E-mail arrived yesterday 14:04; caught by spam filter but now retrieved... :angry:

Nice big link says in the e-mail says go to 'xyz link' but the actual hyperlink behind that text is infact 'link removed but it contained a re-direct' [very naughty :nono:] and that click on that gets blocked by the corporate network, flagged as 'potentially malicious redirection'... :banghead:

Entering link directly in the address bar does however get me there, so that's accepted by the firewall... :scratchhead:

First impressions of MI5:

Really do not like the reader.

• Appear to only be two levels of zoom: 'Unreadable Postage Stamp' or 'Too big to fit the screen and jiggles around if you so much as look at the mouse' [iE8 on Win XP SP3, 19" monitor @ 1280x1024 pix resolution] realy needs an intermediate size ('fit to window' option would be the ideal)
  • Seems to cache pages in blocks of 10?? approx 30ish seconds to load P1 then P2-10 near instant on selecting them. 30ish seconds for P11 then P12-20 near instant, P21 30ish seconds etc etc.
  • Also can't see an option to download/save this version for off line reading?

I'll stick to the PDF for now...

Paul

Paul,

The link is nothing surreptitious; it's to measure how many people go from the newsletter to MI via the email.

I've removed your pasted link as the idea is that newsletter recipients have access first rather than general availability.

As I've mentioned further work on the reader needs to be undertaken (and I agree with your comments) to get it to match the needs of MI but there is a download/save icon at the bottom of the reader.

Paul,

The link is nothing surreptitious; it's to measure how many people go from the newsletter to MI via the email.

I've removed your pasted link as the idea is that newsletter recipients have access first rather than general availability.

As I've mentioned further work on the reader needs to be undertaken (and I agree with your comments) to get it to match the needs of MI but there is a download/save icon at the bottom of the reader.

Ref links - fair enough Andy, I probably wouldn't have even noticed the redirect if the firewall hadn't flagged and blocked it! but could that be the reason some others were reporting inability to access??

I'm not seeing a 'download/save icon at the bottom of the reader' (assuming you mean on the tool bar with the Print/Zoom/Bookmarks/Thumbnails buttons)?

What I have just noticed though is that if you select to show thumbnails or bookmarks, the selected page behaves nicely; it zooms to fit the rest of the window and sits still, so an accidental work-round found on that point!

Paul

What I have just noticed though is that if you select to show thumbnails or bookmarks, the selected page behaves nicely; it zooms to fit the rest of the window and sits still, so an accidental work-round found on that point!

That's still hit and miss dependent on display sizes I'm afraid.

Sorry for the duff info but there was definitely a save icon to the right of the magnifier last night which seems to have gone walkabouts this morning! :no:

I'll stick to the PDF for now...

I prefer the pdf version just because I can "Ctrl-L" to go full screen - one page fills the screen and I scroll through it using "Page Down". I dare say the reader can do something similar but I just go with what I know works. Another great issue by the way.

Archived