Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Premium

Hope someone can identify my poor description of a raptor for me.  It flew diagonally across the windscreen today, about eye level so I couldn't see the underside of the wings particularly well so not sure of the width of the wings, nor the head.  Bit of a surprise on the motorway.  

It had a wingspan of maybe 2 to 3 feet, and seemed to be all over brownish.  There didn't seem to be much pattern or different colouring to the underside of the wings, but, as above, I couldn't see them well.  Wing tip feathers curved up nicely.  I thought of a buzzard, but the colouring seemed wrong.

?

edit for Phil's post 400      M8 in Renfrewshire, between St James & Erskine Bridge junctions

Where exactly was this? Your description sounds like an eagle owl, which have been reported in some parts of the country.

Eagle Owls have been spotted in North Yorkshire so it seems unlikely that any would have ventured further afield. Also a full grown adult has a wingspan of up to six feet and they have a reputation for taking small domestic animals such as cats. In that area it could be one of several species of raptor.

This morning, on returning form a visit to the local (12 miles away) Tesco, I turned into the entrance of the house opposite, in order to reverse into my dive , and there, sitting on his gatepost was a male sparrow hawk -. He was concentrating on the movement of small birds in the beech hedge between his house and the house next door, and (while I know my car is remarkably quiet), continued to sit there within a couple of feet of the Windscreen/passenger front window for about a quarter of a minute before flying off. SWMBO probably had the closest view of a sparrow hawk in the wild that she will ever get!

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Today, we went to try to see spawning salmon and the eagles that congregate from hundreds of miles away to feed on the dead carcasses. (Unlike Atlantic salmon, Pacific salmon return only once to spawn and die afterwards.) Apparently, we were too late to see the particular salmon run we'd gone to see. There were a very few stragglers around, but not the thousands you can see at the peak of a run. And that meant the eagles had mostly gone "home", or on to other, later salmon runs.

Here are a couple of the eagles that remained - they may have been "locals". They're both bald-headed eagles. The one with the white head is a mature adult, the other is a juvenile.

post-1771-0-61563500-1543988794.jpg

post-1771-0-89163800-1543988807.jpg

Here's a picture showing salmon carcasses (the light-coloured things) in the river.

post-1771-0-75188500-1543989102.jpg

We talked to a couple of guys who were dealing with them. They were counting them, keeping separate counts for males and females. Somewhat gruesomely, they ensure that the same fish aren't counted twice by cutting the fish in half as they count them. The fish are dead, so it doesn't worry them, and the eagles aren't concerned whether they're in one piece or not.

• Like 7

A few my trip down under.

post-15-0-96151900-1544728934_thumb.jpg

Didn't see any in the wild. This was in the Koala Sanctuary, Pennant Hills, Sydney.

post-15-0-11793900-1544729054_thumb.jpg

Loads of these about. Galah.

post-15-0-10633500-1544729154_thumb.jpg

Lots of these as well. Magpie, though not related to those in the UK.

post-15-0-61453200-1544729255_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-23756900-1544729362_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-71602500-1544729457_thumb.jpg

All of these proved rather elusive subjects. They fly pretty quickly and head straight into trees. I didn't see them very often in the open.

post-15-0-76704200-1544729540_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-49196800-1544729643_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-93811500-1544729830_thumb.jpg

Kangaroos pretty much everywhere.

post-15-0-73104600-1544729934_thumb.jpg

This little guy watched me having lunch at Washerwoman's Beach, Bendalong.

post-15-0-49231300-1544730029_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-26526100-1544730117_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-16515200-1544730289_thumb.jpg

And just a few of the many I took from Pacific Drive, Bermagui.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

We found a very young Maned three toed sloth on the ground on a trail at Regua (Brazilian Atlantic Rainforest reserve). It had been raining very heavily and was unseasonably cold - the little thing was shivering.

post-387-0-84139900-1545573602_thumb.jpg

Having put it on a tree which it partially climbed,

post-387-0-24910000-1545575841_thumb.jpg

Mum came down and, after needing help across the ground, climbed up and reclaimed her baby.

post-387-0-99059000-1545575975_thumb.jpg

This is not just any three toed sloth - but one which is only found in fragmented parts of the Brazilian Atlantic rainforest. IUCN Red List Category and Criteria

Vulnerable B2ab(ii,iii)  Regua has replanted half a million trees on their land, and regularly add small parcels of upland to their inventory.

Paul

PS their claws are needle sharp - how do I know?

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 10

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not really in the same league I am afraid. This is not the earliest I have spotted butterflies, but, as last year was very poor for butterflies, here on the Sussex coast, I was pleased to see this one and its partner flitting about in the sun.

Brimstone butterfly male E Blatchington 25 3 2018.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
Wrongly identified as a Pale Clouded Yellow
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Not really in the same league I am afraid. This is not the earliest I have spotted butterflies, but, as last year was very poor for butterflies, here on the Sussex coast, I was pleased to see this one and its partner flitting about in the sun.

Pale Clouded Yellow butterfly male E Blatchington 25 3 2018.jpg

Smashing photos Phil

But what you have here is a male Brimstone .....  https://www.google.com/search?q=brimstone+butterfly&hl=en-GB&authuser=0&rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB569GB631&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=_wmFI91LJoGA4M%3A%2Cu6mmPfz5rY9N4M%2C%2Fm%2F03t52l&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTPgTjqnNoYRSGkoam8bUszk0nh8A&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwiI1NTQ26HhAhW4URUIHcmyDK8Q_B0wCnoECAsQBg#imgrc=_thqscji-Vqk0M:&vet=1.

The species exhibits sexual dimorphism, the female is white so if another yellow one was around its another male. Often one of the first butterflies on the wing in Spring. Identification key is the characteristic angular shape of the wings.

Clouded yellow is here https://www.google.com/search?q=clouded+yellow+butterfly&rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB569GB631&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=WMgtm7atrF1uoM%3A%2CXTvZ-L5zhy28nM%2C%2Fm%2F06s8tq&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTN0yh0rgOrL42PiIQUcwGayZGo-w&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjjn9X12qHhAhWGURUIHU82DCEQ_B0wEHoECAsQBg#imgdii=MYEJI1P2vW7XOM:&imgrc=WMgtm7atrF1uoM:&vet=1 and is generally a migrant that wont be seen until later in the year. 

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 27/03/2019 at 06:43, Phil Bullock said:

Smashing photos Phil

But what you have here is a male Brimstone .....  https://www.google.com/search?q=brimstone+butterfly&hl=en-GB&authuser=0&rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB569GB631&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=_wmFI91LJoGA4M%3A%2Cu6mmPfz5rY9N4M%2C%2Fm%2F03t52l&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTPgTjqnNoYRSGkoam8bUszk0nh8A&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwiI1NTQ26HhAhW4URUIHcmyDK8Q_B0wCnoECAsQBg#imgrc=_thqscji-Vqk0M:&vet=1.

The species exhibits sexual dimorphism, the female is white so if another yellow one was around its another male. Often one of the first butterflies on the wing in Spring. Identification key is the characteristic angular shape of the wings.

Clouded yellow is here https://www.google.com/search?q=clouded+yellow+butterfly&rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB569GB631&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=WMgtm7atrF1uoM%3A%2CXTvZ-L5zhy28nM%2C%2Fm%2F06s8tq&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTN0yh0rgOrL42PiIQUcwGayZGo-w&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjjn9X12qHhAhWGURUIHU82DCEQ_B0wEHoECAsQBg#imgdii=MYEJI1P2vW7XOM:&imgrc=WMgtm7atrF1uoM:&vet=1 and is generally a migrant that wont be seen until later in the year. 

Cheers

Phil

Thanks for the identification Phil. I have replaced the caption on the original photo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Welcome Phil. As previously said smashing photos and whatever the species butterflies are one of nature’s marvels and are a joy to behold. Oh hang on ... may be not cabbage whites!

Phil

• Like 1

No photo of this event, sadly; but yesterday I was sitting in the back garden watching the local birds on the feeders when I spotted a wren flitting around between some old plant pots. Probably looking for small spiders and other critters lurking over there - I thought and then congratulated myself on how lucky I was to see a wren so relatively close (it was about 15 feet away). 

At which point, the bird started to venture towards me via a pile of buddleia prunings and was at first 10 feet, and then 5 feet away. I sat as still as I could, trying to breathe as little as possible in case it noticed the movement. Without a word of a lie, the wren came hopping along the edge of the grass, across the paving in front of my feet and then carried on towards the greenhouse on my other side; all the time pecking at whatever tiny insects it could see and not seeming to care that I was there at all. 

Amazing. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely - best way to do it, sit still and let the wild life come to you!

First hedgehog of the year out tonight - not sure if its the one from our lodge, will check if bedding has been disturbed tomorrow. He was stocking up well on Spike's Dinner - they love that

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 05/12/2018 at 05:53, pH said:

Today, we went to try to see spawning salmon and the eagles that congregate from hundreds of miles away to feed on the dead carcasses. (Unlike Atlantic salmon, Pacific salmon return only once to spawn and die afterwards.) 

The Pacific salmon runs can be spectacular! As you say 100% mortality - and it isnt that much less amongst Atlantic salmon, probably 95% overall and higher in males than females. Varies from river to river and year to year dependant on conditions - a decent height of water in the rivers after they have spawned in November/December gives them the best chance to get back to sea and get some food quickly, they dont feed in fresh water.

The most impressive fish I have heard of in recent years was found on the banks of the River Cothi in South Wales - dead and half eaten but was a female estimated to weigh about 50lbs. Scale readings showed she had just completed her 4th spawning run - so will also have gone to Greenland and back 4 times. 

Amazing creatures!

Phil

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

A couple from a trip to South Africa last month.

Rhino%5B2778%5D.jpg.870d1e761de440d5bae7df7543b358b4.jpg

Pair of male White Rhinos in KwaZulu-Natal.

Elephant%5B2772%5D.jpg.7917f21c25577c0e5c4266b90236ece2.jpg

Young bull Elephant making its views on our presence quite clear. Trumpeting and flicking his ears. We left him to it. Kruger national park.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
Typo
  • Like 8