The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

... and a family of Red spectacled Amazons. In May the entire world population (c16K individuals) of this species gather to party and feed on large Auracaria nuts near Urepema, Santa Catarina, Brazil. Some come several hundred Kms, perhaps to feed but I believe it also plays an important part in introducing the kids to potential partners - the gene mixing is so thorough there are no sub species (unlike many other parrots). Considered by the IUCN as "Vulnerable" the population decline appears to have reversed. Seeing hundreds and hundreds pass overhead in wave after wave is dramatic. 

BSJ01031redspectacledamazon.jpg.447a829505850aa08b44b87367ffde0f.jpg

Paul

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

Not so close, using a telephoto. I was out this afternoon to catch an unusual freight and this Fox walked slowly across all 4 mainlines to the south of Holgate Road steel bridge near York station. Then sat and watched the trains. 

BSK02891@YorkHolgateJunction2023-06-07PaulBartlett.jpg.32626338787eaeb241a78519a883c742.jpg

Paul

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A Ruby-throated Hummingbird on our deck recently (in Jasper, Georgia, US).  

20230606-_P2A0745-ENHANCED-NR-EDIT-(W).jpeg

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

Suspected pearl bordered fritillaries & chimney sweeper moths in Swindale wildflower meadows nr Shap earlier...

BeRTIe

IMG_4715.jpeg

IMG_4714.jpeg

IMG_4686.jpeg

IMG_4687.jpeg

IMG_4722.jpeg

I've tried for many years to see Pearl Bordered Fritilaries in Grass Wood near Grassington where they allegedly frequent but have not had any luck so far as I can usually only manage one trip per year up there ... so maybe I will try the spot near Shap next time, I've fancied taking the camper van up to that area for a while now. Thanks for the post.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm currently on holiday having a tour of North Wales, having had a couple of nights at Deganwy near Llandudno I took a walk up to the old hill fort up behind the town and managed to disturb two butterflies on the path. One took off rapidly and I caught a glimpse of browny orange top wings whilst the other held it's place on the path and allowed me to photograph it at rest on a stone, it only took flight when I picked up the stone it was on to proceed further up the narrow, winding path. Again rapid flight and brown on the upper wings were noted. 

I've just managed to look these up, a pair of Graylings, which I was hoping to see later on on Anglesey (Holyhead lighthouse) as that is the only place that I've come across them before.

IMG_6033.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BR traction instructor said:

Never seen bees humping before...

BeRTIe

IMG_4767.jpeg

I think you may still not have.  It's not my field, but I've a feeling those may be hoverflies?  The web suggests the lack of obvious antannae is one giveaway that they aren't bees.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Still touring in North Wales, enjoyed seeing the Choughs, thousands of Guillemots and a Kestrel at the RSPB South Stack reserve on Anglesey, was also fortunate to have a bright green Common Lizard scurry across the path in front of me.

A couple of days later saw us in Abersoch on the Lleyn Penninsular where I came across a Little Egret in the the small river inlet and then half a dozen or so Scarlet Tiger moths busily fluttering around on the coastal path between the harbour and the main beach. Most wouldn't settle to be photographed and I snatched a couple of 'in flight' shots before seeing another at rest. Unfortunately I didn't take note of what sort of plants they were interested in but they were all seen around one garden in particular.

IMG_6066.png.9b9532da3094c14cd122d7e31c650c77.pngIMG_6061.jpeg.6819272d3b32fbdb2acbca4fd4953842.jpegIMG_6060.jpeg.a79392c87979993eb2ecfda269213c64.jpeg

Sat outside my van just now near Tal-y-bont I've just nearly had my 'wig' blown off by something very, very fast and brown which led to a few squawkings from the Sparrows in the hedge to my left, don't think that it was big enough for a Sparrowhawk (but it may have tucked it's wings in) and I couldn't see where it went after the lightening attack ... the Sparrows don't seem too upset by it though ??

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 03060 said:

Sat outside my van just now near Tal-y-bont I've just nearly had my 'wig' blown off by something very, very fast and brown which led to a few squawkings from the Sparrows in the hedge to my left, don't think that it was big enough for a Sparrowhawk (but it may have tucked it's wings in) and I couldn't see where it went after the lightening attack ... the Sparrows don't seem too upset by it though ??

Regards,

Ian.

I suppose in answer to my own comment a female Merlin would have to also be a likely candidate, it certainly came past with an audible whoosh and there are quite a few low flying Swallows around but as fast as they are they are virtually silent as they pass. Unfortunately I'll probably never know but there does seem to be a strange lack of birds of prey around this area. With the moors a 1/4 mile to the back of me and the seashore 1/2 a mile to the front it could well be Merlin country, I'll be paying closer interest as to what's sat on the fenceposts and walls for the next few days. I've only ever seen two live Merlins before, one in Northumberland and one near Grassington in God's Own County of Yorkshire !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

“What’s that spider on the garage floor?

Closer look……

It’s a Devil Scorpion!

Not fatal but may give a nasty sting.  Best avoided.  Check any shoes left in garage before inserting feet!

20230618-IMG_7411.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Our hedgehogs have been unusually active and regular this year. Normally we'd only catch them on camera for a few weeks at most, around spring and autumn, but they've been visiting their feeding station nearly every night for over two months now, usually around ten in the evening and then with several repeat visits.

Unspotteddessert.jpg.7680f5039d537b93c843a079244604c9.jpg

20230529Hedgehogisback.JPG.d363a3813c8e297588cf4f76febb5951.JPG

There's at least two but they're not easy to tell apart. The fox drops by occasionally too, but gives the hedgehogs plenty of respect.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Nothing unusual but I couldn't resist taking a photo of this Comma as it sat quite happily in the sun displaying it's colours having just chased off a rival yesterday.

IMG_6121.jpeg.9f22b33f4cdd9e1eee4c59de32bbff80.jpeg

• Like 11