SMP Scaleway track and Marcway points

• RMweb Premium

I'm considering using SMP Scaleway 00 track and Marcway points for my new layout.

Their websites seem archaic and out-of-date. I gather you can order Marcway points from the Sheffield shop, but I was wondering where you guys recommend as suppliers...

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff, for plain track I think I would go with C&L. This comes in a variety of profiles. You can get it in meter lengths and also buy half meter lengths of rail and sleeper bases. C&L also produce points kits and for a price, will supply the hard bits (crossing and blades). I have no experience with Marcway - someone posted a picture of one of their points in another thread and I was impressed by its appearance. My personal preference is to make points myself.

John

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, for plain track I think I would go with C&L. This comes in a variety of profiles. You can get it in meter lengths and also buy half meter lengths of rail and sleeper bases. C&L also produce points kits and for a price, will supply the hard bits (crossing and blades). I have no experience with Marcway - someone posted a picture of one of their points in another thread and I was impressed by its appearance. My personal preference is to make points myself.

John

Thanks John. All options are still open at the moment, though I doubt I'll end up building my own points. Thanks for your reply.

Jeff

We have used SMP track and mostly copperclad points on various exhibition layouts for the last 30+ years with no problems. Granted in EM but the product is basically the same.

• RMweb Premium

Which website are you using?

they have a very out of date one that comes up in google searches still but the "real" one now is

http://www.modelrailways.me.uk/

I use them for bits (copperclad sleepers and rail)

Thanks very much for that. It's an improvement on the 2004 site that Google takes me to!

I've emailed Marcway re. current prices, so we'll see how we go!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I buy all my SMP track from Marcway, but build my own turnouts using C & L components. Excellent service from both suppliers.

Cheers, Gordon. Mike (The Stationmaster) informs me that Alton Model Centre could be SMP stockists - so I will have a look there, too.

Jeff

I'm considering using some SMP or C&L plain flexi-track for a micro-layout, but I only seem to be able to find it in 10-yard boxes... I don't suppose anyone knows anywhere I can obtain it in smaller quantities? I'd be looking for a yard or two at most, so a 10-yard pack's a bit much!

I'm using C&L plain track and hand build copper clad turnouts on my present project (see my blogs). And can tell you that C&L will ship smaller quantities of track than 10mtrs.

I ordered just 4 lengths of track and some flux and they accepted that order no problem.

HTH

Frank

• RMweb Gold

I'm considering using some SMP or C&L plain flexi-track for a micro-layout, but I only seem to be able to find it in 10-yard boxes... I don't suppose anyone knows anywhere I can obtain it in smaller quantities? I'd be looking for a yard or two at most, so a 10-yard pack's a bit much!

Alton Model Centre supply smaller (or larger!) quantities of SMP but I don't know what the situation is with them for mail order on smaller quantities (and they're a long way from Edinburgh of course).

A [possible] warning about C + L. I'm sure I've read / heard somewhere that the flanges on some RTR wheels strike the chairs on C + L track.

The Edinburgh and Lothians MRC has used SMP on both our OO layouts Glendevon and Newcastleton. While the latter has just been completed, the former is around 30 years old and there has been no problems with the track in that time. For Newcastleton I think we obtained the track from Harburn Hobbies in Edinburgh [supporting our local trader] though we did have to purchase it by the box as they had to order it specially for us,. Points were built using Marcway copperclad and rail

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

Alton Model Centre supply smaller (or larger!) quantities of SMP but I don't know what the situation is with them for mail order on smaller quantities (and they're a long way from Edinburgh of course).

Mike, Bob at Alton Model Centre emailed me this week to tell me that AMC no longer stock SMP - they are now selling C + L.

I shall order my SMP etc. direct from Marcway.

Jeff

• 2 months later...

Ah, the very questions posted here I have just posed in a new thread... I want to find a supplier of about 10 feet of pre-made 00 bullhead rail track for a 3 foot long diorama of a steam shed scene, so anyone who can suggest who might be able to help would be appreciated. C&L or SMP so long as its what would be 95lb or less and looks right and can take paint.

Preferably be able to supply in 6 or 8 lengths of 45 or 60ft real track which I imagine is about 10 inches long or whatever is easiest to pack, tracked airmail to NZ, payment by Visa.

When I photograph models people will see that I have kinds of trouble with code 75 Peco and similar! I have even commited the sin of 'painting on' photograhs of real track, albeit pasted with some inaccuracy.

Rob

I have loads of SMP offcuts which are typically around 6" to 12" plus. If anyone needs a few bits for a diorama etc, then contact me by PM and I'll send you some. Just checked my track scrap bin and there is a mix of old and brand new. Ideal for dioramas or just to experiment with.

• RMweb Gold
Preferably be able to supply in 6 or 8 lengths of 45 or 60ft real track which I imagine is about 10 inches long or whatever is easiest to pack, tracked airmail to NZ, payment by Visa.

Hi Rob,

I don't think you will find anywhere stocking ready-made 00 track panels with correct prototype rail lengths and variable sleeper spacing.

edit: Exactoscale can supply 45ft and 60ft plastic bases for P4 (needing chairs added) but I believe their 00 and EM bases are fixed spacing for slide-in rail. Anyone confirm?

However, there are several custom builders of pointwork who would be able to supply what you need. I imagine they don't often get asked for plain track. I suggest you ask on here with "custom pointwork builder wanted" or similar in the title.

Alternatively it really wouldn't be too difficult to build your own. There are lots of topics on here relating to building pointwork. For plain track it's dead easy and you just need Templot (free) to print the templates, plywood sleepers (EMGS or Scalefour Soc), functional chairs, rail and solvent (C&L or Exactoscale), roller gauges (Markits, Brian Tulley or C&L).

regards,

Martin.

Ah, the very questions posted here I have just posed in a new thread... I want to find a supplier of about 10 feet of pre-made 00 bullhead rail track for a 3 foot long diorama of a steam shed scene, so anyone who can suggest who might be able to help would be appreciated. C&L or SMP so long as its what would be 95lb or less and looks right and can take paint.

When I photograph models people will see that I have kinds of trouble with code 75 Peco and similar! I have even commited the sin of 'painting on' photograhs of real track, albeit pasted with some inaccuracy.

Rob

Rob;

I recommend you get in touch with Paul Woods, from Woodsworks in Whangarei; he is a C+L distributor, and as he imports in bulk to NZ, was able to supply me with boxes of C+L bullhead at very competetive prices.

No connection, just a very satisifed customer!

Jukebox

Rob

Rob

You have several choices

RTR

Both C&L and Scaleway do 00 gauge flexitrack in meter lengths, these can be cut into pannels of your choseing. Sleeper thickness 0.80mm

Exactoscale do fast track bases which you thread your own rail on 75mm strips with 8 sleepers on, they are however 1.6mm thick

Make your own

C&L and Exactoscale both sell 2, 3 & 4 bolt plastic chairs.

C&L sell plastic sleepers 8' 6" & 9' in thick (1.6mm and thin 0.9mm) packs of 100, each sprue comes with one 12" sleeper so you can have a 12" sleeper at each end of the pannel

Exactoscale do both 8' 6" & 9' sleepers in 1.6mm thick ply in packs of 100, they also supply packs of 15" long strips

C&L sell Timber track frets and thet do 45' & 60' pannel frets, 8' 6" or 9' pre cut sleepers 0.8mm thick and also sleeper strip the same thickness

I would use the Exactoscale plastic fishplates, they are super and strong enough to hold all in place whilst the glue sets. The chairs simply glue to the sleepers with solvent, dead easy. The wooden sleepers do look far better as does hand built track

Thankyou very much all who have replied, I think I will call or Email Paul Woods from Woodsworks in Whangarei the C&L distributor and buy sufficient material for my needs, with C&L code 75 bullhead and 60ft timber frets or whatever Paul might might suggest, I shall enjoy the project!

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed that the thread I started in May has been resurrected! All in a good cause if Rob ends up with the track he needs.

For the record, I bought 30yards of SMP and a variety of Marcway turnouts, to match. The service from Marcway was excellent and the track puts Peco well in the shade (in my humble opinion).

Jeff

Just noticed that the thread I started in May has been resurrected! All in a good cause if Rob ends up with the track he needs.

For the record, I bought 30yards of SMP and a variety of Marcway turnouts, to match. The service from Marcway was excellent and the track puts Peco well in the shade (in my humble opinion).

Jeff

And a very useful thread it is, my son! To keep you and others up to date with my BR steam shed diorama plan, I have purchased (but not yet received) 6 metres of C&L code 75 bullhead rail and sufficient 3-bolt chairs, etched brass fishplates and NZ hardwood sleepers approx 3mm x 1.7mm x 35mm to create 3 metres of good looking track in what I hope will be a non-specific shed scene for my various 00 RTR steam locos.

The seller is Paul Woods of Woodsworks in Whangrei NZ and he was very obliging and patient with my various error-strewn calculations for these materials. I have also bought Woodland Scenics N scale ballast in brown, dark brown and cinders from Acorn Hobbies in Christchurch NZ. I have just assembled a Metcalfe 2-road engine shed and office, and now have most of the ingredients for some good atmospheric photos of BR shed scenes. I have generally found N scale ballast better looking in old BR steam scenes than 00...

Also I have a basic Hornby water tank and column, and a platelayer's hut, all now sitting temporarily on three pages taken from an old photo album, which together with a length of Peco code 75 flexitrack and a couple of dozen Hornby code 100 straights has brought things to a point where I can nearly take photos! O joy!

The track in the photo below is temporary until the ballast and the C&L bullhead track arrives and is assembled. Already my photo-editing muscles are twitching. Eventually I will ballast over the dark paper, which looks like it will give a nice backing to the scene, which I hope will look rather dark, dramatic, smoky and and beautiful in photos., dark satanic mills and all that.

The Metcalfe buldings are crying out for spouting, downpipes and other detailing, and I wondered if someone could suggest a vendor of such ephemera?

Thanks for your interest.

Rob

post-7929-0-34415400-1345697624.jpg

Archived