SMP Scaleway track and Marcway points

• RMweb Premium

Good to see progress has been made, Rob. And, as your last 2 posts show, if you ask for suggestions on this Forum, you sometimes find the answers come from surprising places - yourself!

As for your photos - well, they are artistic masterpieces. Maybe you should consider a change in career?

Best wishes,

Jeff

Thanks for your kind thoughts Jeff.

As far as my illustrations go, I may have something coming up with a certain major RTR manufacturer, but 'it's early days', as they say.

In the meantime I continue to enjoy creating pictures of the superb RTR models we have these days, and I like to evoke the sights and effects of the real thing as I recalled it from those far off days when I was younger. I couldn't wait until the C&L track arrived, nor even the packs of ballast before making this photo below of Hornby's 34003 rebuilt Bulleid West Country 'Plymouth'.

Straight out of the box and in front of my Canon SX130IS point-and-shoot camera. No details added yet, and these models really do look nice with brake rods and other extras added. The atmosphere is already there, and not a hint of steam or smoke. Must be one of those Sundays visits to the shed when some engines were 'dead', or about to be lit up. I will no doubt add details and grime and smoke later today or tomorrow.

post-7929-0-62056900-1345771954.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I know this is going a bit off topic - but what the hell, I'm the OP!....

Rob, what do you use to light the scenes when you take these images? I know photoshopping can produce some wonderful effects, but the basic image has to be there to start with.

And good luck with the RTR business!

Jeff

Ah, yes, off topic but we retired gentlefolk are permitted wandering minds...

I use a single 60w tungsten bulb in combination with daytime window-light... various combinations available on my work-space during daylight hours. I sometimes a reflective screen of A4 typing paper standing against, usually, the box for the relevant model. Sometime I add the ceiling light for a little more fill-in light. Camera set to ISO80. Sometimes I take three photos with frame centered on front-middle-rear. Then I mix and match few pics from a selection.

Actually, yesterday at around 5pm I got yer genuine sunlight on the diorama, can't usually count on that, especially with recent weather! It gives rather a lot of contrast. Note, direct sunlight is NOT in the photo below, which is the 60w bulb in reading lamp and indirect daylight.. I think that with bullhead track it will be even better, but that won't arrive until next week.

I hope your Settle and Carlisle railway takes shape in due course. Photographing a model of that would be a challenge. Look out Pendon!

Rob

edit note picture slightly changed since intitial post

post-7929-0-76268500-1346301338.jpg

Thankyou Dave, I am sure that the nature of altering photos will always be difficult. I subscribe to the school of 'if it looks ok then it probably is ok', and use photo editing to enhance my enjoyment of RTR models... but I fully accept that many find altered images a bit annoying.

Anyway, in boots and all, below is another altered photo of the same shed, representing an imaginary BR Southern Region location as before, maybe somewhere like Salisbury or perhaps it's Margate as per Hornby itself? The weathered N15 locos certainly look the part, and an unrebuilt Bulleid with high tender adds a nice touch, also another shed road which must have been removed by the time the rebuilt West Country in a previous photo was taken...

I enjoyed hanging around a similar two-road engine shed when I was a teenager in the early 1960s and had my first cab-ride on an express steam engine as a result... an amazing experience for a 12-year-old and one I am sure is not unique.

It does beg questions about my purchase of C&L bullhead rail and chairs and sleepers for this diorama... but I am sure the photos will be better when the track has been received, assembled and put in place.

Rob

post-7929-0-79361500-1346367458.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for the delay in my reply, Rob... If I had a fraction of your photographic skills my pictures of the S&C layout would/will be magnificent. Have to say that the 60W lamp acts as a very good substitute for the sun!!

Re. the track you use for your photos. To be honest, I don't think most people look at that, given the content of your photos. In the 1950s/1960s, what you show in your last 2 posts would have been a boys dream. Wonderfully atmospheric and indicative of (in many ways) a simpler, better time. Ooh - nostalgia. Or is it just old(er) age? Lol.

Cheers,

Jeff

Ah, the very questions posted here I have just posed in a new thread... I want to find a supplier of about 10 feet of pre-made 00 bullhead rail track for a 3 foot long diorama of a steam shed scene, so anyone who can suggest who might be able to help would be appreciated. C&L or SMP so long as its what would be 95lb or less and looks right and can take paint.

Preferably be able to supply in 6 or 8 lengths of 45 or 60ft real track which I imagine is about 10 inches long or whatever is easiest to pack, tracked airmail to NZ, payment by Visa.

When I photograph models people will see that I have kinds of trouble with code 75 Peco and similar! I have even commited the sin of 'painting on' photograhs of real track, albeit pasted with some inaccuracy.

Rob

I just ordered some C + L track and it arrived to me here in wellington no problem, it's probably worth getting it all at once, as shipping alone was about $15

I just ordered some C + L track and it arrived to me here in wellington no problem, it's probably worth getting it all at once, as shipping alone was about $15

Yes I have ordered and paid for a quantity of bullhead rail, chairs, fishplates and sleepers from the NZ C&L distributor Paul Woods of Woodsworks in Whangarei, hopefully to arrive soon.

Cheers, Rob

I went with Peco in the end and therefore have two 00 gauge Code 75 bullhead Marcway points surplus to requirements. The important one is the Diamond Crossing built to order by Marcway to go with their 72" radius point. It is quite a lengthy beast as might be expected. Please PM me if interested in buying the diamond and I will throw in the 72" point for free....

post-6680-0-74355700-1346404856.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I've a (real) Shinohara No.8 turnout in HO that may be a bit longer than that curved point......(oh, the different terms).

Best, Pete.

Yes, Pete. "Turnout" sounds very American - correct me if I'm wrong! I've always used "point", but the Marcway literature is all about turnouts and it's kind of inveigled itself into my psyche.

Jeff

When - in my full size rail interests - I switched to the darkside for a few years, the track guys were ruthless mickey-takers over the use of points or turnouts. For them it was all 'S&C.'

That's 'switch and crossing' to the novices - as I was in 2007!

• RMweb Premium

Ah, well 'CHARD, I'm afraid there is only ONE meaning for S&C - and we all know what that is! (I'll leave you to worship at the shrine of the Waverley!!).

Of course, like all interests/occupations, the railways/railroad (umm) has its own terminology. It's why so many people find Science difficult to come to terms with. Jargon, acronyms - by the bucketload, and inceasing in number exponentially as time passes by...

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

A "point" is a single moving blade.

Two of them together make a "set of points", also called a "switch". That's the S in S&C.

At the other end of a turnout is a "crossing" (or "frog" in America). That's the C in S&C -- "Switches & Crossings".

A "turnout" consists of a switch and a crossing, linked by "closure" rails in the middle.

Modellers in the UK often call an entire turnout a point (which makes no sense), and in America an entire turnout is often called a switch, causing much confusion when you want to refer to the switch part only.

Finding terminology in Templot which would be understood worldwide has always been a minefield:

startup_pad.png

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

And the Rule Book always referred to 'points' and we had (and have) 'Point Setting Tables' to be used when power signalling installations are somewhat adrift in their function - the latter is of course strictly correct to the definition given above by Martin, the former isn't always so. (But then I know a signal engineer who always calls 'the Clearing Point' an 'overlap' - we live in a world of differing correct terminologies I'm afraid).

Hi,

Part of the problem I think is the fact that many of us entered the world of model railways through the toy train set in our childhood route. In these they were always referred to as "points". I still have the little booklet/catalogue that came from Santa with my 1954 Triang R2X train set. This lists points RH and LH indeed there is a whole page (13) titled :"Points" and telling us what they are.I am fairly sure that the Hornby Clockwork that I had earlier also referred to points.

So OK I know that I should be talking about Turnouts and switches and crossings but old habits die hard and if I walk into a model shop I am still more likely to ask for a "pair of points" and give the size. So far at least they have always known what I meant.

best wishes,

Ian

Ah, well 'CHARD, I'm afraid there is only ONE meaning for S&C - and we all know what that is! (I'll leave you to worship at the shrine of the Waverley!!).

Of course, like all interests/occupations, the railways/railroad (umm) has its own terminology. It's why so many people find Science difficult to come to terms with. Jargon, acronyms - by the bucketload, and inceasing in number exponentially as time passes by...

Jeff

I was going to ask if you were trying to make a point but then thought better of it.....

• RMweb Gold
but old habits die hard and if I walk into a model shop I am still more likely to ask for a "pair of points" and give the size. So far at least they have always known what I meant.

But only if that model shop is in the UK. Elsewhere in the world they are likely to think you are asking for a pair of point blades.

Although the majority of RMweb members are in the UK, there is a sizeable overseas minority. It makes sense to use the proper terminology if you can, otherwise the incorrect terms just go on being perpetuated for ever.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
And if you worked on the Operational side of the Railway you would talk about "points" ;)

Yes -- but always in the plural, as a "set of points", or for example on a signal box lever: "Points No. 5" because it is the moving points (point blades, switch rails) to which the lever is connected.

You don't find railwaymen referring to "a point" singular when they mean a turnout, because it doesn't make sense.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

I was going to ask if you were trying to make a point but then thought better of it.....

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Or was it the left direction? If I don't get the direction right, this could turnout to be a disaster!

Thankyou Jeff for that erudite reply.

It raises many questions about modelling, one being for the Midland BR shed scene below, is there any point in it?

(Still waiting for my C&L bullhead track)

edit; track parts arrived today, all looking good for future photos, this below possibly being the last with Hornby and Peco

post-7929-0-37142100-1346882557.jpg

Archived